Pearl Izumi Vagabond M3 Shoes

Vagabond M3

• Nylon I-Beam construction
  • Aggressive tread with a tacky gripping surface
  • Updated anatomical 3-strap Velcro closure system
  • 360-degree reflectivity
  • EVA comfort footbed cradles the foot

mtbnachos   Cross Country Rider [Sep 12, 2008]
Strength:

Price, functional, dry quick

Durability, wet surfaces

These shoes are hanging on to dear life. They are about falling apart and for good reason. Been using them hard the last 2 years and stitching is coming apart. The tread is very slippery on wet surfaces. I must say they did me a good job and moving on to 661 shoes. Good performance and value. I would definitely recommend for beginner SPD riders.

Kevin   Weekend Warrior [Sep 12, 2007]
Strength:

Good Looks, Comfortable, Fair Price, Good Mountain Tread, Easy to Clean, Nylon I-Beam for Good Weight Distrubution

Pressure Points from Velcro Straps, Haven't had long; not sure on durability

This shoes and the Shimano M520 pedals are the first clipless pedals I've owned. I had a few problems with the pedals at first, due to lack of experience and proper adjusting.

The shoes are great. The price was good, and they perform well on the mountain. The mountain tread is good, and they are easy to hike up a hill with. They don't play well with water, and offer zero protection if you have to walk through a creek or stream. However, they ventilate very well keeping you feet cool and dry; they also dry quickly after walking through said creek or stream.

So far, I'm very happy with them. For the shoes and pedals I spent $115, which was not a bad price to pay for my first set of clipless.

Similar Products Used: None; first set of clipless
Jim   Cross Country Rider [Jan 11, 2008]
Strength:

Pearl Izumi customer support
New designs and incorporation of lessons learned

I emailed Pearl Izumi about my shoes, including pictures, and told them about how quickly they wore out and how unhappy I've been with them. I didn't know what model year they were since I bought them from a shop that was going out of business. Then I didn't use them for another year because I kept flogging my old pair. Anyway, turns out they were 2002 models and Pearl said "We've learned a lot about making shoes since then. We'd like to send you a new pair. What size and what address?" That was it -- they are totally taking care of me. I've gone from very angry with Pearl to totally delighted! In the course of exchanging messages with them, I realized I have 4 or 5 pair of Pearl shorts, several jerseys, a couple pair of gloves, some CalienToes, and who knows what else. All of it has been very high quality at reasonable prices. They missed on the Vagabond shoes from 2002, but are willing to make it up to me in 2008. Wow! 5 red hot chilli's!

Mike   Weekend Warrior [Nov 24, 2007]
Strength:

Inexpensive, easy strap system, quick to get in and out of, very lightweight. Durable.

Better have a toe cover/booty when it is even mildly cold (less than 45-50 degrees) due to the breathable mesh in the upper section.

I am actually a road biker, but I bought these mountain shoes instead of the road line because I wanted to be able to walk around without a problem. Walking around sure is no problem, and I do not think there is any disadvantage to using these instead of road shoes.

After one and half years and 4,000 miles or so, these shoes are still going as strong as ever, so they have more than proven their durability. Furthermore, these shoes only use three straps of velcro, so getting them on and off is snap. (A lot of shoes have an additional ski-type strap.) Also, the shoes are understated enough that I can wear these when biking in street clothes without too much of a clash just as well as when I am fully "geared up."

I have used these both with Speedplay frog pedals and Shimano SPDs, and it was fine for both.

The upper part is mesh, so that it is breathes for warm weather. But when it gets anywhere under 45-50 degrees and there is a wind, you better have your toe cover/booty ready.

Similar Products Used: None, besides ordinary sneakers/tennis shoes. This was my first cycling-specific shoe.
Jim   Cross Country Rider [Dec 21, 2007]
Strength:

Tongue stays straight

Longevity

They fit well and I liked them at first, but they have fallen apart recently and very rapidly. The lugs are garbage -- they are wearing very quickly and are coming off in chunks. I bought them because the deep tread kept the cleats from hitting the ground so I thought that would increase the lifespan of my cleats. Well, the tread has worn so rapidly that I'm now walking on the cleats. And a couple of big chunks of tread have come off. Definitely did not get my money's worth. Going back to Shimano (moderately priced, lasted several years) or Sidi (expensive but wearing well, I only use them for xc racing).