Northwave Super Compact Shoes

Northwave Super Compact Shoes

Northwave Super Compact

[Dec 17, 2001]
Eric

Strength:

fit, adjustability, comfort

durability, cost

this is a review for the NW Compact (one notch below the supercompact). I rode these shoes across the country. They were incredibly comfortable (the only shoes I brought for the 4000 mile trip.) They were very stiff when I bought them--but they softened up after a few months. I finally checked them out, and both of the soles were cracked. One had cracked completely in half, and the other was about 2/3 of the way gone. I e-mailed northwave, and they never got back to me, so I took the shoes to Pro Bikes, and they gave me credit towards the NW Stealth. After I had exchanged the shoes, I got a reply from NW--who gave me the address of a shoe-repair place... did not sound like they were going to cover the damage under warranty.

so--I am not a heavy rider (150 lbs). These shoes were ridden mostly on the road, and they still broke after less than six months of use. I had a pair of $50 shimano's that lasted four times as long. I also question how NW stands by their product--if it was not for my LBS, I could have been stuck fixing them on my own.

Now I have the Stealth's. They have a carbon sole, which hopefully will not break on me. but the thin laces are hard to tighten, and one of the clicker-adjuster things broke after a week. I think the compact's velcro straps were a better system... I guess I could take them back and get the clicker thing replaced, but I'm just sick of dealing with them.

can't beat them for comfort, stiffness, and fit (five chilis)--it's a shape I can't find a pair that won't break(minus 1 chili for each NW shoe that has broken).

[Oct 06, 2001]
DAVID BEN-HAIM

Strength:

Very comfortable.
Stiff sole.
Good looking.
Original locking system that seems to be working well.

Sole started to take apart after less than 1 month of riding.
Outer parts of the shoe seem to be too gentle for a mountain
bike shoe.
Expensive.

The shoe felt like a glove on my feet and I liked it.
It was quiet good on the trail also.
I ride 2 to 3 times a week for a couple of hours and
after less than a month I noticed that the sole starts getting apart from the shoe.
I hope that the shop will replace it.
I know others with tha same shoe and their's are O.K.
Although I liked the shoe, I cannot except a 160$ product
to last less than a month!

AXO

[Dec 31, 1999]
Eric Pringle
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Amazing fit and easy tom use retention system.

Price

If you have two nickels to rub together and love to go on loooong rides, these shoes are worth it. Comfortable, stiff on the bike, great rubber sole, tough heel cup. Plus, you can zone out on the freaky colors on long stretches. Used them for Leadville 100 and they were ideal for the long haul!

Sidi Dominators, Specialized Comps, Nike, Scott

[Jan 18, 2000]
gearhead

Strength:

The different color for each foot.

Price.

Very satisfied with it but I did not take good care of it. The right sole came apart once but managed to shoe-glue it back. It has come off again due to the frequent wet rides. If it is not for the price, I would have bought another similar pair. But this is time it is either the Specialized or the Shimano.

[Jan 21, 2003]
Mike Zaborowski

Strength:

lightweight

NO durability, clips pop open during ride

I bought these thinking they were a good deal. They weren't. After a few rides the sole started falling off. The clips also came undone when i had to walk the bike up terrain that was too steep to ride.
They're pretty light though...

Diadora Jalapeno

[Jun 11, 2001]
Mikael Arnesson

Strength:

(Northwave Stealth)
-Good lookin', fits my feet superb.

None.

This is a review of the Stealth 2001 model, since I didn't find a review of it.

The Stealth's feels very good on my feet.
Was a little worried purchasing them over internet, but now, I don't regret it. They are really stiff, MIDSOLE
Special FPL (Frame Power Link).
They are a bit pricey, but that shouldn't be stoppin' you.
I recommend them warmly.

Check'em out at http://www.northwave.it/img/popstealthsc1h.gif

Cheers!

Diadora Chili

[Jul 26, 2004]
Mathias

Strength:

Convert power into speed. Very comfortable for the first 5 hours - it seems they made them just for my feet.

when walking a lot the sole breaks off but they aren't made to run marathons with them. A bit painful when wearing them longer than 5 hours a day.

These are the best shoes for cycling fast!
I am a bike courier and use them a lot, whith these shoes I can accerlate really fast and get great top speeds. When running up the stairs a lot the sole breaks at the end of the shoe, it's not a big problem because the shoemaker can glue them within 5 minutes and then they're good again for months.
I also use them for riding downhill with my Big Hit when I have to ride up the mountain first. Uphill with Freeride shoes makes my bike feel twice as heavy as it actually is.
If you feel comfortable when wearing them, want to ride fast and don't walk a lot with them: buy them.

Specialized Rockhopper, Nortwhave Freeride, Sidi winter shoes