Northwave Raptor S.B.S Shoes

Northwave Raptor S.B.S Shoes

The Raptor SBS has a special 3D structure that protects and stabilises the foot while pedalling, even in harsh conditions. The fit is extraordinary, and the Carbon Reinforced sole adapts to all kinds of use – whether amateur or competitive – ensuring excellent efficiency on all types of terrain.

[Oct 23, 2010]
midlifechrisis

Strength:

Stiff sole.
Comfortable for those with wider feet.
Front vents really effective on hot summer rides.

Weak ratchet system.
Side mesh tears.
Needed to cut the tongue.
Poor insert.
Bulky looking.
Front vents take water in too easily & give you freezing feet on cold rides.

I bought these two years ago on sale price. The first changes I had to make were to remove the flat uncomfortable insert & replace it with the Specialized BG inserts from my old shoes. 100% more comfortable. I also found the tongue too long which cut into my ankles, so I cut slits in to make them work for me. After that they worked great for a year and a half until both ratchet buckles broke (they always felt too flimsy). The mesh sides between the "leather" strips began to rip as well.
For all these reasons I wont be looking at Northwave for my next pair of shoes. I'll probably get Specialized again, as the BG inserts are the comfiest I've tried.

Specialized.

[Sep 01, 2009]
Green Giant

Strength:

Quality build, width is nice, pricing available is great.

northwaves sizing chart is mediocre

Wow, great shoe even at $150 bucks. I've been really happy with the shoe. It's comfortable and has a bit more width that most other brands. Sole is nice and stiff and the buckle system is outstanding. Best system I've used for that top buckle. It has a microadjust feature that is awesome.

Northwave's sizing chart is a bit off in my opinion so beware. For instance I wear a 10-10.5 wide shoe and northwaves chart put me at a 43-43.5, I ended up in a 44 like I do most other shoes.

Shoes are personal obviously, but from a build and comfort standpoint these are great, the buckle system is very nice, and the value out there is outstanding. If you have a narrow foot - use northwaves sizing chart or look elsewhere.

I did find the 43.5 was too short and the 44 a shade long, but after adding a nice insole with some arch support these are GREAT.

all sorts of shoes

[Aug 08, 2009]
deenj

Strength:

Strong Sole, S.B.S. system is awesome for getting out quickly. Extra vents in toe & upper are awesome for breathability, but not "breezy"

Cleats slip a little, but maybe I didn't tighten them good enough?

I'm not sure I would pay full price for these guys, but if you find a deal, they're awesome. If my budget allowed $120, I probably would've considered Sidi's as well, but for the price, these are great. They're very comfortable, and I've never had blisters from long rides.

none--these are my 1st pair of clipless shoes