Nike Cairns Shoes

Nike Cairns Shoes

Nike Cairns

[Aug 20, 2010]
Zachariah

Strength:

-Looks good
-Secure heel cup
-Stiff sole
-Made in Italy
-Breathes well/dries easily
-Ratchet strap effective

-Made for skinny Italian feet
-Front of sole separates
-Heavy at 450g a shoe
-Dated, 1990s strap technology

As mentioned, the red version is the flawed shoe, and prone to cracked soles, resulting in useless cleats or an odd, upturned toe box. The post 1999-up orange version is widely improved...but no longer available.

Lance Armstrong is said to have aided in development of this shoe, for his MTB training. You need very narrow feet to find these comfortable...I'm talking RAIL THIN!

SIDI Dominator 4
Cannondale Carve

[Aug 23, 2009]
Spencer

Strength:

Got them on the cheap. When the sole was intact the shoe performed better than I expected.

The sole split in half. Like all nike shoes this shoe is not ment for wide feet. I had to cut out all the plastic along the outside of the shoe just to let my foot in.

I had the orange shoes. They held together for over 2 years: after I modded them, cut all the plastic off the outside, they were great. The sole was stiff enough that I could feel pressure on my heels when pounding on the pedals. After about 2 seasons the sole cracked in half, I was road riding and had to stop to fix a flat. They still work but its just not the same. For what I paid these shoes get 5 chillis. Nike is bourgeois company end of.

Specialized Shimano

[May 18, 2009]
Peregrine Islands
Downhiller

Strength:

Fit, comfort

Durability (cracks along sole)

As with everyone else, I have had cracks along the sole, above the cleat, since the very first ride. However, I have not had issues with the ride because of this. As with all Nike shoes, I had to go a half a size up. Unusual for Nike is the fact that this shoe fits me in the width. (I wear a AAA width normally).

These shoes have a great comfort, beating out my old Look shoes - so much so that I actually put the pedals on my commuter and my mountain bike.

The shoes are a little scary to walk on when on slick surfaces, such as tile, but I've come to expect that from any kind of bike shoe.

Look

[Aug 24, 2007]
Luke Franklin

Strength:

Stiffness.

Bad customer support and weak structural integrity.

After almost a year of use, I too experienced a snap in the plate right beneath the cleat area. All the way through, from one side to the other. Imagine a shoe with a crease in it that would allow the toe to touch the toungue. I sent it to Nike, who basically told me their product was supposed to suck, and there was nothing that could be done. My Northwaves lasted me the next 4000 miles that I put on my Moab. Needless to say, if I could give this pair of shoes 0 flaming cat turds, I would.

Northwave something or others, for both mountain and road.

[Nov 29, 2001]
splat

Strength:

stiff sole, tight fit zero slop

durabilty, pain to get on and off

I got these shoes at about 75% off and still feel riped off because the cleat plate kept breaking over the course of the slightly less than two years I rode there things I broke the cleat plat 4 times and nike replaced them for s&h only each time but it was a pain waiting on them and having to use my cheep shoes whil I waited.

so the bottom line is don't buy them even on a great sale save your pennies and get some sidi action srs it is worth the extra money unlike nike

sidi action srs, and several other velcro only shoes

[Mar 04, 2002]
Nathan Staehling

Strength:

Comfortable fit after break-in. Stiff soles.

Poor durability. Long breakin-period.

I needed a new set of shoes and couldn't pass up the sale on these. When I first put them on I found them downright painful. I kept on wearing them, as I didn't have another option. They "broke-in" and kind of molded to the shape of my foot. They became one of the most comfortable shoes I have had. Unfortunatley, the soles kept chipping apart piece by piece and the cleats kept coming loose. Finally the whole plate broke apart. I suppose they would be excellent for someone who only wanted them to race on or was extremely gentle to them. For me, I want something that will last much longer. I ride some, but don't consider myself much more than a weekend warrior. A $50 shoe should have lasted much longer.

Shimano, Other Nike, Performance

[Jul 17, 2002]
Ol' Dirty Baxter

Strength:

Rigid platform

Buckle spontaneously releases & warranty folks won't work with me.

I called Nike and the store I bought these at. All I wanted was a new buckle. No one wanted to stand behind the product. I'd rather have a crappy shoe that delaminates, as long as the company will repair it or replace it.

Sidi Dominators

[Jul 12, 2002]
Chester Thomas

Strength:

Stiff, lightweight, fit, well ventilated

Not good for cold rides, buckles can be noisy

I've read the bad reviews and don't get it. My shoes have done great. I've worn them for a year and a half including 9 months of riding through mud and yuck in Louisiana and the only problem I've had is the sole tore away a little by the cleat on one shoe. They aren't "natural" to walk in on pavement but they do ine when I have to push my bike. Maybe I'm lucky but I like these shoes.

Nike Inyo,Diadoro

[Apr 14, 2003]
Ed Francis

Strength:

Killer stylish looks, and excellent materials and construction. Truly a very striking design job.

Just a tad on the narrow side.....but they do break in after a short time. People with wide feet, however, will never fit into them.

I have read the poor reviews from alot of the people who have the Nike Cairns, and totally do not understand why they could fault this shoe. The workmanship and quality of materials that went into these shoes are FIRST RATE. They fit my feet like a GLOVE, and are extremely comfortable (after a short break in period). I'm almost thinking that the rival shoes companies hired a few people to post negative reviews about this shoe....in order to damage it's reputation. I have not used the shoe long enough, however, to be able to comment on the alleged issue of the soles breaking in two.I purchased my shoes on Ebay.... and paid only $59.00 for them......so I consider that an extremely good deal for shoes of this quality. Back on the subject of the alleged breaking of soles at point where cleats attach: Perhaps laminating( bonding using epoxy or similar adhesive) a thin square piece of steel in the cleat area, would eliminate the stresses caused by the cleats biting into the plastic/ fiber sole material. I'm sure that would lessen the chances of the shoes cracking in that area.
In any event...... so far, I find the Nike Cairns to be an excellent shoe in all regards..... so much so, that I'm purchasing a second pair of them from Ebay, to keep as a spare.I'm giving the shoes 5 flaming tamales for the craftsmanship that went into them......and will leave another review later on..... as to their durability.

Specialized team shoes

[Apr 11, 2003]
[]D[][]v[][]D

Strength:

fit, durability

the run narrow...not for the fat footed

I'm going on my third season with these shoes and no complaints....durable, fit well, buckled have lasted. I bought another pair cheap on ebay last summer and I am waiting for my current pair to crap out so i can use the new pair, BUT THEY JUST WON'T QUIT!

Nike Yuha, specialized