Nike Air Whistler Shoes

• Adjustable Fit
  • Increased Traction
  • Secure

John Mavriss   Downhiller [Sep 04, 2006]
Strength:

Fairly lightweight. All black color keeps them from looking worn out and matches all my riding duds.

The bottoms are already starting to wear out. Small cracks in the sole where the pedals always touch. Oh, and who needs an air sole in the HEEL of a mountain biking shoe? Needs a sturdier toe guard.

I bought these because Nike's reputation in other sports, but I think I pretty much wasted my money on these. At over $100 (including shipping) they're more expensive than my old Intense shoes and don't hold up or work anywhere near as well. I got three seasons out of the Intense shoes, and I still wear them on occasion. I feel ripped off. A pair of $40 Vans work just as good.

Similar Products Used: Intense shoes, Vans Rowleys, Etnies.
Paul   Cross Country Rider [May 07, 2006]
Strength:

comfort, stability, stickyness,

color stains brown from dirt

If performance is all you care about then get these. They do look really good if you could keep them clean. The dark black mesh that surrounds the Nike symbol is the only part that stays clean. Suggestion to Nike in case they read this stuff is that they should use the same material as the Keen sandle/shoe. Keen uses a material that always seems to look clean and its waterproof. I use these for cross country and for free ride stuff such as jumps and drops. The Crank Bros pedals seem to work well with the shoe but the bearings froze just after two months of riding them. They have fast customer service though. The rubber on these shoes are extremly sticky and squeaky out of the box. Becarefull when walking in them at first because its easy to catch an edge and stumble. Im not really sure on the wear yet because I only had them for a few weeks but I've been using them every day for several hours at a time so they have already seen alot of miles. The bottom rubber seems to be holding up but a few small areas are starting to break up. I think this wear is typical though. The shoes also have a band at the top for tucking in the laces so use them. I didnt at first and managed to almost rip up part of my laces in the sproket. These shoes run wide and big. I'm a size 12 1/2 wide and there size 46 which is equivalent to a 12 is just right on me with just a bit of extra toe room. I hope this helps. Overall its a almost perfect shoe

Brad   Weekend Warrior [Apr 13, 2008]
Strength:

Very Tacky bottoms, very stiff soles, has loop to put your laces in

Not totally waterproof, however then they would be hotter.

They work great. Very hard soles, very sticky grip. There are a bunch of tiny holes in the bottoms that the pedal pins just stick into. These are great for uphill riding and even better for downhill. I would definitely recommend these shoes to anyone. I bought two pairs! For $94 I would probably go with some etnies or cheaper skate shoes, but I only paid $22 for two pairs.