Lake MXZ301 Shoes

• Outlast temperature-regulating liner
  • 3M Thinsulate toe box lining
  • Thermosol composite insulation insole
  • Alpine outside
  • Mudstuds and adapter for flat pedals/trekking

[Dec 21, 2009]
montclairbobbyb

Strength:

Nice leather, warm, comfy

BOA system is a bad idea... Right shoe works fine; left side wrought with chronic problems. Ratchet mechanism has busted twice and lacing pulled stitching away from leather. Lake fixed it, but it happened again within months, and I refuse to send it back a second time. BOA loosened by itself. When Lake abandoned velcro fir BOA they made a big mistake.. It's not a matter of IF... it's a matter of WHEN it will fail you. Disappointing... I went with Answer Kashmirs simply for the velcro (and they were much cheaper)....

I demand very little from my winter shoe, but having a good lacing system is a must... come on now...When BOA fails it renders the shoe practically useless.

I'm considering cutting grommet holes and adding laces, seriously!!! These shoes are worthless as-is, I've got nothing to lose. (I'm seriously pissed about these shoes!)

My 2 flamin chilis rating is generous... these are of zero use to me, but I recognize others have had complete success... consider yourselves lucky!

[Dec 01, 2008]
Jerome

Strength:

Warm, well insulated, waterproof

A bit hard to use clipless pedals with

I've been using booties (overshoes) for a few years and it simply doesn't work here in Quebec, when you're riding in freezing cold temps or walking in deep snow. The booties don't stay put and you end up with frozen/wet feet.

Since I bought the Lakes, I couldn't be happier. They keep me warm and dry and with the other clothes I got (winter bibs, gloves headband, etc.) I can ride for three hours below -10° C (14° F) no problem.

[Nov 23, 2008]
mootster

Strength:

Good fit, warm in > 10 deg F weather

The BOA fastening system eventually breaks.

Great idea in this shoe to have a fast lacing system that can be adjust with gloves on, however, eventually it fails and will not hold tight at all. Junk is another way of saying this. It looks like Lake is still using this mechanism for lacing, not sure or not if they have improved it.

neoprene booties

[Aug 13, 2008]
Vermont29er

Strength:

Nice leather

Crappy tightening system broke and didn't provide enough heel retention.

NOT WARM ENOUGH. THIS IS NOT A WINTER SHOE.

These shoes are not warm enough for riding below 30 degrees farenheit. I use these shoes all summer and my feet don't sweat.

The fastening system is JUNK. The knob broke on my left shoe within weeks of getting them. I emailed Lake several times about the problem and was ignored. The right shoe still tightens, but it has really poor heel retention.

I use electrical tape to keep them tight enough on my feet. It looks really ghetto.

These shoes are a waste of money.

Oversize shoes with extra wool socks

[Jan 10, 2008]
GREGG

My normal shoe is a 43.5 sidi. I have a Lake MXZ300 45 worn with 1 thick par of wool socks, and another lake MXZ301 size 47 worn with 3 pairs of wool socks.
The size 45 is good down to 10F for a long period of time. The size 47 is good down to -10F for over 3 hrs. Then I can add chemical warmers or booties to go to -30F for extended (all day) adventures. The big size is just fine for fit and I no longer worry about my toes in Minnesota thru the winter. e.g. lot's of socks = warmth. The Lakes are great! they do run narrow.

regular shoes and booties, flat pedal winter boots (no cleats)

[Nov 13, 2007]
K Smith

Strength:

Great shoe for winter riding. Metal tipped toe cleats are great on ice and hike a biking in the snow. Shoe is high enough to keep snow out of your shoe. Durable and warm.

If your ride in the winter and are tired of having frozen feet, I was, these shoes could be your ticket. These shoes have been well worth the price. I ride all winter long in Utah. Buy a couple of sizes big to allow for different sock combinations.

Neoprene booties over my regular mtb shoes.