Lake MXZ 300 Shoes

• Nylon sole plate

• USER REVIEWS

[Feb 09, 2007]
    Dennis

Strength:

Comfortable. Warm. Lacing. Well made.

None known.

I think these are incredible! I was tired of ruining another pair of AmFib booties and buying more to help keep my feet warm, so I bought these instead. I went one size larger than normal per other recommendations.

Last night I rode in 12 degree temp for 1 1/2 hour on icy single track. I wore one thick 50% wool sock over a thin technical sock and used a Grabber Mycoal full foot insole. Cold was not a problem at all. My feet were very warm the whole ride! Now, if only I could have said that about my finger tips on my left hand.

I really like these shoes. They are incredibly well made. BTW - this review is for the 2007 version MXZ301.

Standard shoes with AmFib booties over them.

[Mar 03, 2006]
    Ryan

Strength:

Warmer than regular MTB shoes and fairly water resistant.

Difficult/time consuming to put on, laces stick to the velcro...Need a bit of prep before using to completely seal out the water.

These work pretty well - but I had to do a little work on them right out of the box. First of all, if you are riding in any kind of deep snow or wet conditions, you need to seal the cleat area with silicone or something similar - I didn't at first, and my socks got drenched on a particularly snowy ride into work when I had to do a lot of walking (snow too deep to ride through). I have the 2005 models, and I really wished I had the 2006s, because of the switch to the boa lacing system. The 2005 model laces always get attached to the various velcro surfaces - and it can take some time to get them put on and fastened up. As for warmth - they are ok. Make sure you have some wiggle room for your toes. I wore mine with two pairs of socks at first and my feet always got cold - recently I've switched to a single layer sock and it's better. I ordered size 43, I usually would wear a 41-ish size shoe.

Regular hiking boots, various MTB shoes with booties/etc

[Feb 23, 2002]
    SGT. ROCK

Strength:

Materials quality, construction, design, fit

None yet

Looks like the only beef against these dogs is the price - and that's what has prevented me from buying this type of shoe in the past. Well, I just bought them for the paltry sum of $105 Cdn (that's $65 US)! Can you believe it? Actually, I had my choice between this shoe and the Sidi Storm for the same price. No comparison - the Lake is the superior winter shoe, having better materials, better weather sealing, insulation, a grippier sole and a more secure fit. Only possible downside could be durability, but looking at the shoe's obvious quality, I can't see that becoming an issue.

Look forward to using these babies on the trails soon.

Sidi Storm, stupid neoprene booties

[Nov 11, 2002]
    Michael 2me

Strength:

Quality, Comfort, Color

Sized one size small. Always wore a 45 until I bought these. Had to return the first pair for a 46.

Nice shoes, fit like a glove if you order one size up. Very warm for thse 5am rides in the snow. Works great with Time Atac clipless. My Shimano's were impossible to clip free when it mattered most, until I had them trimmed.
    -1 chilli for size and -1 chilli for price. Not worth list of $200 but definately worth $100. I hope the exterior will take a beating, they look kind of soft. I will post again on durability in 6 months time. These are the best winter shoe available now!

Shimano SHSO36 (size 45)

[Apr 09, 2007]
    Frederic

Strength:

pretty comfortable, boots keep feet reasonably warm

Stitching holding upper portion of boots to sole broke on both boots making them unusable I have had these boots for about 2 years and use them about once a week - only in the winter time. I feel this is a defect in material used.

For an expensive pair of bike boots these are very short lived. I emailed manufacturer about getting refund or replacement boots, but got no response. I definitely would not buy these again.

[Oct 25, 2003]
    rob black

Strength:

The best winter shoe available.

Like an ice skate on ice- absolutely no traction.
    Neoprene falls apart too easily.

I bought a pair of these for my wife. That's how much I like them. They are THE top of the line winter shoes. However, they have *serious* problems.
    They are pretty good down to 10F (for me). My feet are wide enough that the shoes are a bit on the snug side. I probably can't get the full insulating effect. However, I would still give them very high marks for warmth.
    I put serious miles in these shoes during the freezing, snowy winter of 2003 here in the Northeast USA.

The neoprene started fraying at about 1k. Okay, I guess most people won't use these shoes much anyway.

The most dangerous problem is the rubber sole. It is extremely hard and provides no traction on any ice surface. Pardon me, but sooner or later, if you're on a mountain bike, riding in the winter on ice and snow, you will stop somewhere and put your foot down. And you will want that foot to stop you from snapping your freaking neck. These shoes will not provide this basic service.

These shoes were from year model 2002 or earlier (mine were purchased 11/02). Hopefully, Lake has corrected this serious flaw in their newer models.

1 chili value rating. Such an expensive shoe should not have such a serious flaw.

Overall, it does insulate and is the best winter shoe out there. If you can get it for a good price and never plan on stopping your bike in snow or ice, add one chili.

none bike specific; duck boots, pac boots, lotsa socks with big flat pedals. Serious winter setups, I wanna keep my toes.

[Feb 27, 2004]
    Steven Johnson

Strength:

Well built, good looking, adjustable heel cup strap, relatively warm. Good pedal fit on Times.

Slow on... slow off. Not water tight. Threads on spikes too short.

Very well constructed shoe except for one of the spike inserts was too deep in the sole to use supplied spike. Comes with two sets of spikes and cute wrench. Takes along time to get in and out. I usually have to re-tighten the laces once during a ride. Buy them at least a half size big to accommodate extra socks cuz if you think these shoes alone are gonna keep your dogs warm you are wrong. They are not waterproof! My favorite set up is a good liner sock (polypro or better) inside Sealskins high tops waterproof socks. I live where it is very wet most of the time. In dry snow wool socks would be fine. It's dope to look down at warm toesees in the snow while my buddy’s feet are turning blue and he is whining. There is still room for improvement but for now these are as good as it gets. Yeah, I'd buy them again.

Shimano SHFR80 ($35.00 closeout)

[Mar 25, 2004]
    David Stackhouse

Strength:

Fully insulated sole does not conduct cold cleat through the sole. Sole is concave so clip-in is mindless and automatic. Side lugs are good for gouging your way up slippery slopes when wheel spin stops you. Fairly water resistant.

Shoe is large in the heel, small and narrow in the toe. Buy at least one full size too large to allow for warm socks. Arch strap pulls foot down into shoe, but not back into the heel socket. Straps could be designed better to pull foot back into shoe and prevent heel lift. Shoe laces were worthless crap but they're only laces and cheap to replace with better ones.

A must have for winter riding. Shoes have held up great and show little wear after full winter riding and now mud season. Since I didn't buy large enough, I use a thin neoprene stormsock. My feet get a bit numb but I am generally comfortable at 10 degrees F and up. I have ridden several days a week in Maine all this winter. Water will seep into this shoe if you actually immerse (all our water has been frozen all winter) but the stormsocks are waterproof so the combination is effective to keep from freezing toes. The combination of crank brothers pedals and Lake winter shoe is excellant and no conditions create any clip-in difficulties! If these fit my feet better they would be a definite 5 chilis. Poor ergonomics make them only a 4.

Shimano M220 with lots of duct tape, neoprene overboots and wool socks.

[Mar 01, 2003]
    david nunez

Strength:

built like a fortress, no cold, no water will get in these babies, i think if you have these shoes on you can mountain bike up in the north pole! remember the blizzard of 2003 in the east coast, i went riding couple of days later in 23 degree weather and went hiking in knee hi snow carrying my bike to see how good these shoes are, no cold or wet feet at all, just make sure you wear wool socks to wick away the sweat, first time i wore them with cotton socks no good, wool very good, wet feet=cold feet-dry feet=happy feet, great strap system for a perfect fit, nice bottoms too not to hard, i would use these to even shovel snow outside my house they are so comfortable...i totally recomend...

a little bit overbuilt, a little heavy, and little hard to get into and get out of, you have to really unstrap all 3 straps and move the flap to expose the laces and then loosen the laces so you can get your foot in through the neoprene inner liner, these is a little hard to do especially when you have thick wool socks on, maybe thats not a weakness, i mean this is an extreme conditions shoe, lake was not playing when they design this shoe, other than i would have to say this shoe does not have any weakness...

if you want leave the stationary bike alone to go riding in any type of winter weather then get the lake mxz 300, they are the best winter riding shoes bar none, they will keep your feet warm and dry, protect your feet from the water, snow, muck and mud and even the wind can't penetrate these things, they are a little spendy but you get what you pay for, the best, i was hesitant because of price, licktons had a sale for 159.00 i dodn't regret getting them at all, worth every single cent...

sidi storm 1 crap, feet were cold all the time and i did not even touch snow just wind made my feet cold but they were stiff and light...

[Mar 20, 2001]
    Bob

Strength:

Very warm, stiff sole, laces with 3 straps lets you get a good fit.

Price.

First off let me just say that my feet are always cold. I didn't want to spend the money on these, but if you want to ride all year you need more than neoprene booties. They were well worth the money. If you are looking for a cold weather shoe , this is it. If the temp. drops real low, I'll wear booties over them, but it's not the shoes fault.Excellent fit, great quality, warm,stiff sole,not bad to walk in, and worth every penny.