Lake MX400 Shoes

MX400

World Cup proven. Lightweight Kangaroo leather and mesh upper. Carbon fiber midsole. Laces plus dual strap, six-point webbing closure. Competition outsole. Size: 39-48, 39.5-46.5

prozenberger   Racer [Aug 24, 2009]
Strength:

Very stiff, snug fit when molded, fit and feel like a road shoe.

Sole lugs peeling off

These have been great shoes. After forming them to my feet, they have been very comfortable, and the soles are very stiff. The downside like others have stated, has been the peeling of the soles. I actually lost the entire heel lug during the Ouachita Challenge. However, I have had the opposite experience with Lake (most people have complained about their lack of customer service). I called them, talked with a very friendly rep on the phone, and he sent me a complete set of replacement soles.

I think people are expecting something out of this shoe that it was not designed for. This is a racing shoe. Pure and simple. I made the mistake of wearing them during a race that required me to hike my bike a bunch, and in some very rocky conditions. Up till then, the shoes were perfect. For XC racing. So, my advice: don't wear these shoes if you are going to be spending a bunch of time hiking thru technical trails. Save these for race day, I think you'll be glad you did...

Similar Products Used: Shimano, Diadora, Northwave
grodo   Racer [Jul 24, 2009]
Strength:

Look great, light, super stiff. Really like the shoes, but... (see weaknesses)

heel tread fell off during 4th ride(!), and was unfortunately lost on the trail. Support from Lake was 1 email response. After that... nothing.

As much as I wanted to like these shoes... they basically suck. The msrp is over $400 on thee, which is REALLY a joke. A great deal at $130 turns out to be not so great if they fall apart after a few rides.

As stated above, going straight to lake for help didn't amount to anything. I've contacted Jenson and sent pictures. Hopefully they'll come through for me, but I'm not holding my breath. Guess I should have stuck to the old saying "if it seems too good of a deal to be true..."

Similar Products Used: Northwave, Time, Specialized
raceer2   Weekend Warrior [Aug 12, 2008]
Strength:

Appearance I suppose

Outer soles are starting to peel off after just two short rides, making the shoes useless. Sadly it appears to be a common complaint. Wish I had read the reviews before pulling the trigger :-(

Customer service is non-existent after one email, then nothing, save the automated reply !

These shoes are worthless,and therefore cannot recommend to anyone. Please save your money and buy something else. I am just under 60kg with gear and I have mid-range to high end shoes and none have had issues. Go figure !

I would give zero chillies unfortunately thats not possible.

Similar Products Used: Sidi, Louis Garneau
jrcxu   Cross Country Rider [Jul 20, 2008]
Strength:

Carbon is very stiff, lacing is easy thanks to BOA

The rubber soles will fall off...not a matter of if but when, usually within 5 rides.

Spend your money on something else. Although the carbon looks good and the design is sharp, they won't last...

Similar Products Used: Carnac
wg   Cross Country Rider [Jun 12, 2003]
Strength:

Stiff, Straps and laces to customize fit and hold foot, price (on clearance).

Stiffness makes hike-a-bike challenging at times, weak outsole wearing away. Disco white color scheme

It took while to wear in but once that process was over, these are quite comfortable. Great power transfer due to extremely stiff carbon sole. That also makes hiking bolders an interesting process. Rubber outsole is falling apart but its been about two years now.
I wouldn't pay full price for these but Performance clearance price was great for the shoe.
Just bought a replacement pair of Lake MX 303 at performance too. Gotta love coupons and sales.

Similar Products Used: Shimano M220s? (Its been a while)
Jeff   Cross Country Rider [Sep 19, 2001]
Strength:

Fit like a glove from the moment I put them on. Light, and easy to adjust while riding.

The rubber lugs are not durable, in fact they have worn to the point where I have to get new shoes. I ride in the Northeast where there are quite a few hike-a-bike sections.

I love the shoe because it is very comfortable, but wish the lugs were more durable. A great shoe if you live in a non hike-a-bike section of the country

Similar Products Used: Sidi's, their lugs are a hard plastic that wear forever, but you can kill yourself walking on wet rocks and roots.
alex   Racer [Apr 16, 2001]
Strength:

light weight, carbon sole, straps are'nt too long like on the MX300 and 301. Very stiff! Super great fit, gotta love the laces and strap system.

Hmmm, i suggest instead of kangaroo leather they should have used the same type of stuff thats on the 301s. I think the kangaroo will tear easy. No toe spikes or even lugs? Color scheme.

Great fit, really cush inside. Laces are super along w/ the straps. The straps are'nt super long, just right. Stiff for the climbs and not too bad to walk on. Very light. I've only ridden them a short time so i will post another review in a few months to update the wear topic. Five flamers for these rockhoppers.

Similar Products Used: Lakes, AXO
DEAN   Racer [Jul 16, 2000]
Strength:

Extremely stiff
Strap/Lace system
good fit
Light

maybe too stiff
no toe spikes
steep ticket to ride, if you pay retail

excellent shoe if you are all about power transmission. If you race and don't have many hike-a-bike sections, these shoes are hard too beat. They are stiff from toe to heel which makes makes walking a little tough but not impossible. I had to cut some lug too enlarge the cleat pocket for my Time pedals. I did it because I was use to the Time cleat pocket which is huge. I swapped from my Times to the Lakes for the sponsorship. They turned out to be an excellent shoe and I would have to rate them a notch above the Times for an all out race shoe.
Where are the toe spikes ?