Lake MX200 Shoes

MX200

Lake MX200 Shoes

Ben   Cross Country Rider [Aug 08, 2007]
Strength:

Stiff, Super comfortable, Look good, Plenty of tread.

I bought these in 2000 on closeout from Printpoint. I dont remember the price I paid, but it was really cheap as I was in my freshman year in college. I have put on around 8,000 miles of abusive singletrack riding and another 10,000 miles of use when I bike to work everyday. They fit amazing out of the box and they still fit great. After so much abuse, they look really really beat up now. So much so that I get picked on by some of the guys I ride with. But they still work just as good as the day I bought them. I just recently caved in and bought a pair of new shoes that fit almost as good.

Similar Products Used: Sidi, shimano
Bill   Cross Country Rider [Jan 31, 2002]
Strength:

Great Fit.

durability

Destroyed the shoe at the 24hrs of snowshoe this year but that race was a muddy slogfest(great course Laird). I can't imagine any shoe really taking that abuse. Up until that they had been the best shoe I have owned. Really good fit for my foot shape (medium width).

Similar Products Used: answer, shimano, specialized
Andreas   Cross Country Rider [Aug 11, 2001]
Strength:

great fit, comfortable, beautiful design

none found yet

best shoe ever had!

Matt N.   Cross Country Rider [Jul 28, 2001]
Strength:

Comfy, durable, good looks, decent hiking tread, good breathability

None, other than the fact that the toe box could use some reinforcement to protect it from rocks.

For years now I've used Spuds on both my road and off-road bike (lets just say I was sick and tired of climbing stairs on slippery road shoes with even slippier Look cleats bolted to 'em).
I bought the Lakes because they shared the same sole design with my trusty, but stinky old Shimano M200s. I have _super_ narrow feet, and compensate with a custom orthotic insole, but still hadn't been able to fit into Specializeds, Carnacs or Northwaves.
On my first couple of rides I found myself constantly checking the straps to see if the shoe was on tight enough -- I couldn't believe that a shoe could fit this snugly and still be so posh! Five years later I'm still believin' it!
I quickly also found out that the mesh on the Lakes breathed far better than my shimanos (i.e. dried better and stank less) - making the Lake the superior summer shoe, whereas the Shimanos kept my feet drier in foul weather use.
After 5 years of hard use, the monster rocks here in NW NJ have finally all but devoured the leather forefoot portions of the shoe, so I am in the market for something with plastic or kevlar reinforcement up front -- most likely the Lake MX 300. THe shimano soles on my Lakes are also pretty chewed up, but after all I've put these shoes through I say hats off to Lake for making such a quality product!
The bottom line: If all my gear were as reliable, durable and cost-effective as these shoes, I'd be a happy man.
5 habaneros right across the board!

Similar Products Used: Performance, Sidi, and my old, trusty Shimano M200s!
Mark   [Jul 08, 2001]
Strength:

Great fitting, comfort, style...

none yet

I have a hard time finding shoes that are comfy, and these felt like I was wearing slippers (they still feel like this). I love the way that they breathe, they're easy to take off (not that I really want to...) and put on. The only real downside is the time it takes for them to dry. I had a race in Bethany in April, and there was still ice and snow, but it was melting. I had to go through water to complete the course, and the shoes took several hours to dry in the sun (although it was cold out). This being just a minor thing, and the fact that they fit like gloves, 5 flamin' Chilis and kudos to LAKE for a magnificent pair of shoes. I'd definitely pay full price for these, since I got them at 50% off ;).

Happy Riding!

Similar Products Used: none, these were my first pair of bike shoes
Brian   Cross-Country Rider [Jan 06, 2000]
Strength:

Fit
Quality

I bought these shoes over a year ago. The dealer had special ordered them for someone else and they didnt fit him. I got them for 40% off the regular price. They fit me very well and have become my favorite MTB shoes. I have completely submerged them while riding near a lake and they dried out in just a few minutes. Most of the other shoes I have dont do that. I have had no problems with these shoes.

Similar Products Used: Specialized
Shimano
Nike
IGGH   cross-country rider [Sep 30, 1998]

Six month follow-up...
You Spinal Tap fans will agree that St. Hubbins (patron saint of quality footwear) smiled the day these shoes were introduced. Great fit for wider feet with higher arches. Lots of toe room. Otherwise a good snug fit with a super-stiff sole for maximum energy transfer. No delamination or deterioration at all... at all. The understated colour is good for those of us who choose not to strap parrots on our feet. Everything gets muddy anyway if you're riding hard. :) These shoes have been very very wet and still feel new. Still five flaming triple-coilers with a DQ twist. Oh yeah, thanks to Physical Culture for the advice - always fair, always courteous, and so far, always right.

Matthew Bernick   weekend warrior [Sep 23, 1998]

What a blessing - a shoe that fits! I have suffered for years with painfully narrow euro shoes and poorly constructed shoes in general. The MX200's fit great right out of the box and have held up well to the punishing, rocky terrain I ride. They even look nice - not stupid and flashy like most high-end shoes. If you have wide feet, these are your shoes.

Trish   racer [Mar 10, 1998]

Very comfortable shoes. They have a very wide toe box for those of us that have wider feet. I have been a bit disappointed with the quality, however. Within 6 months of normal wear, I had to take them back to my LBS, who replaced them who no hassel. My second pair has been holding up fairly since June 97. For the price, I expect longer wear.

Ryan Coleman   Weekend Warrior [Jun 27, 2001]
Strength:

Great styling, awesome fit. World of difference from past shoes I've had. You'd almost want to walk in them (almost..)

My first pair of LAke MX200's lasted a grand total of 7 days before the left heel of the sole cracked and fell off following the fourth ride I had taken on them. As I saw in a few other reviews the LBS was surprised and had never gotten a pair of Lakes back to that date - especially with the odd position of the damage. My shoe almost appeared as if there was no glue under that portion of the sole. They gave me a new pair on the spot and am willing to give the shoes a second chance. It sounds like the factory had a bad week given that the only bad thing everyone has to say so far is the fast cracking sole.

Worth a go - The few rides I got in I loved the shoes and I'm sure the sole problem is an isolated manufacturing flaw. Replacement was no questions asked (it was only 8 days though).

I think this shoe is a great for just about anyone - it's price point makes it affordable for the beginner but the performance is there for competitive riders. A good buy all around.