Lake MX125 Shoes

Aggressive trail shoe. Performance midsole. Water-resistant leather and mesh upper. Molded heel counter. Competition outsole. Size: 36-48, 37.5-46.5

Neil Chandra   Weekend Warrior [Mar 01, 2002]
Strength:

Well, I just bought these and they aer incredibly comfortable- much more than the Pearl Izumi Vortex and Specialized Mtn Pro.
They look and feel MUCH tougher too- reinforced toe and heel
The fit was what sold me and I got it for $70.
It's "un-elf-like" with blue and black.

None yet.
The laces- covered with a big velcro strap- could be a plus though- comfort-wise.

They fit too well and were too cheap to pass up. Now for the Shimano 959 pedals:)
I can't believe MTB shoes can be this comfortable right out of the box.

Similar Products Used: None yet
Sindron   [Sep 09, 2001]
Strength:

They're awesome, they work great for me.

It seems the only ones with problems are the older 2000 version. I have a 2001 and i guess they fixed em cause i never had a problam with them yet.

They're awesome. I had strap pedals at first and upgraded to Clipless and i got these shoes for 130$ Canadian. The best upgrade i could do on a bike is go clipless!!

david   Cross Country Rider [Mar 13, 2004]
Strength:

Stiff, very comfortable, fits like a glove, durable, non agressive look, not too heavy for touring.

rubber durability on rocks, none other.

They fit so great, that while 10 hours ride I don't even think about shoes. Never did. Had them for five whole years,At four year of use I was allready a bit concerned, how to appologize expend for new shoes, coz this just won't die. Well, the last season I found a granate for them: rocky trails. First week in alps, half the rubber teard and pilled off. The rest was gone during season. Great shoe, but can't stay rocks, so if rocks is where you ride... Slight heel sleepage at hiking. Cold thumbs in winter despite neophrene boots. Stiches, mesh and cordura is bombproof.

Similar Products Used: none, this haave held me for 5 years
Adam   Cross Country Rider [Apr 16, 2001]
Strength:

Light, strong, durable, toe picks, and velcro strap to keep the laces in.

NOTHING

These are awesome shoes, I don't know what the other people are complaining about. These are strong and durable shoes and can hold up to anything! I recommend these shoes to anyone. I think the problem with the other people, is that they just didn't plain old take care of them. BUY THEM!!

Similar Products Used: Axo, Sidi
André van Goch   Cross Country Rider [Mar 03, 2001]
Strength:

a stiff shoe, good fit with laces and a useful strap. The sole is what you would expect on a mountainbike shoe, thick rubber

Lugs break out easily, inner steel plate for lugs far too thin. Heel comes out of shoe when you need to walk (OK not too relevant for a biking shoe).

Lake has far superior Mountainbike shoes in the $100,- range compared to other shoes. In Europe I found only some Shimano, SID, and other plastic shoes which all looked like road cycling shoes with a little rubber sole.

Unfortunately the lugs break out to easy and I suspect a design error. The metal inner plate is from 'pisbakkenstaal' (Dutch for urinoir steel)

Similar Products Used: none
TechniKal   Cross Country Rider [Jul 29, 2000]
Strength:

Good fit, stiff sole, comfort, nice looking

Durability

I -really- want to like these shoes. They are comfortable and stiff, and they don't look like clown shoes. However, the durability of the shoes prevents me from recommending them to anyone. I've had my pair for a little over a year and they are shot. The rubber on the sole is almost completely gone. The plastic heel cup has come loose on both shoes. The toe box has torn... I've tried patched them back up with shoe goo, but it just won't hold.

M B   Cross Country Rider [Jun 26, 2000]
Strength:

Laces add to comfort. Breathable.

Lugs broke off after walking on trail. Heel tends to come out of shoe while walking, though this can be attributed to the stiff sole. Sole had to be reglued to leather part of shoe with Shoe Goo.

If the material used in the sole/lugs was the quality of the uppers on this shoe, Lake would be okay, but I've found that this shoe has real design/manufacturing flaws. The lugs are not strong enough for their size and shape, and can break off. Those that don't, wear quickly. The sole coming unbonded from the leather uppers was unacceptable. If a representative from Lake is reading this, they need better quality control.

Jeff   Cross Country Rider [May 29, 2002]
Strength:

Durability is the underlining measure of this shoe. I have had this shoe for three years, beat the hell out of them and they still look like the day i bought them.

The mud studs arn't the easiest to get in and out.

Buy these shoes if you want a pair of mountain shoes that will outlast the life of your components. Don't buy these shoes if you are looking for an uncomfortable biking shoe.