Lake MX 401 Shoes

MX 401

• Kangaroo leather and mesh upper
  • Dual (2) velcro strap closure w/laces
  • External premolded heel counter
  • Reflective material in heel
  • SPD compatible
  • Carbon fiber sole plate
  • Carbon rubber outsole

• User Reviews (1)

loganross   Cross Country Rider [Aug 19, 2009]

Excellent design, materials, craftmanship. Light with a very stiff heal yet breathable. Moldability.

No good for anyone with more than the narrowest of feet or those that have low arches.

All other things equal I would ahve loved to have kept these. I tried Sidi Dominator Megas (ok), Specialized S-Works (almost as good as the shimano but the tongue is too long and presses against my angle), and the Shimano MX series.
    I ordered the Lake MX401 one size larger than normal since there is no wide size offered. Even after molding, the arch was too painful for my flat feet. I ended up keeping the Shimano 310's which are also moldable (and less expensive than the Lake). This Lake shoe would be perfect if it were designed with a more neutral footbed to accomodate flatter feet. In the end it does not matter as Lake will no longer make the moldable 401 series for Mountain Biking starting in 2010.

Similar Products Used: Lake Mx-170 (my current shoe); Shimano MX-310 (the shoe I have just purchased)