Lake MX 101 Shoes

• Suede leather and mesh upper
  • Instep retaining straps and lace closure
  • Internal nylon lasting plate
  • Carbon rubber outsole
  • Low profile Trail outsole pattern

• User Reviews (13)

TFrog   Cross Country Rider [Dec 08, 2010]
    Strength:

All around good shoe. Tried Shimano shoes and they never fit right. I have an extremely wide foot so purchased the MX101W. Worked very well and fit was dead on for my wide foot.

Only weakness was the airflow. In winter it's quite cold and should be worn with some form of cover.

I'd recommend the shoes. Especially the MX101W for those with wide feet. You can't find a better built shoe specifically built for wide feet. Believe me. I've looked all over.

Similar Products Used: Shimano brand shoes.
    ben3843100   Cross Country Rider [Sep 17, 2009]
    Strength:

Confortable, good wearing, not ugly.

None that immediately come to mind.

A great shoe at a great price and available in large sizes. This shoe was recomended to me by the staff at Now Bikes and Fitness. The shoe fits well (I wear a 14-15 US) and still looks good after 5000+ miles of riding. I ride to, and also wear my shoes all day at work and they are decent for off-bike wear and intermediate hiking. I have had to replace the laces, but that's about it. Definitely not a cold-weather shoe, unless you wear shoe covers. Your toes will freeze because of the mesh on the front of the shoe. :-)

Similar Products Used: Unknown
    Darrin   Weekend Warrior [Jul 25, 2007]
    Strength:

Good stiffness for pedaling efficiency, easy to walk in, look like normal shoes.

Metal eyelets that the laces threaded through tore out or just bent and would cut into my foot. Only minor scratches but after 20 miles it can get pretty irratating. Plus I've put holes in every pair of biking socks I own. Tread not thick enough to walk without scraping the cleats. Very thin shoes not for the wide footed.

Shoes were ok for about the first year and then they started to wear fast. They were realativly cheap but don't buy these if you want your shoes to last.

Similar Products Used: Tennis shoes
    GEORGE   [Jan 20, 2007]
    Strength:

GREAT SHOE.CVERY COMFORTABLE. I ONLY HAVE IT FOR ABOUT A MONTH BUT IT LOOKS VERY WELL MADE.

CAN'T SEE ANY.....

I BOUGHT IT ON SALES VERY CHEAP, GREAT VALUE FOR MONEY.

Sean   Weekend Warrior [Apr 13, 2007]
    Strength:

Comfort! I switched from Nike ACG's to these and I'm very satisfied. The Nikes were a little narrow for my feet. I have an "E" width and found these to fit perfect! I can walk around without looking like I have a stick in my butt! That and there are no more cracks about my "red shoes" at work before I change. I just where these all day and with the vibram sole I don't have to worry about slipping or excessive tread were. These are awesome shoes, and will not be my last pair for sure.

None come to mind.

Given the comfort and all day wearability these are definately worth the money. I would expect a higher price for the fit and quality of these shoes. You could get better shoes, for more money of course. I ride every day and get it in the dirt on weekends and at 225lbs these do the job for me!

Similar Products Used: Nike ACG, shimano and (forgive me) Adidas (crap crap crap).
    Mr Pink   Weekend Warrior [Aug 14, 2006]
    Strength:

Price, Looks, Feel, Seem to be very well made (solid feeling, not flimsy)

Weight I guess but I don't care

Just adding my two cents, if you're thinking of getting these I think you'll be happy. By the way I'm a US 10 1/2 (usually tight) or 11 (usually just right or a just a tad too big) in regular shoes and got the 45 size mx101s and they fit perfect (in case you're searching for that info, like I was before I bought 'em)

Givin 'em 5 chilis cuz they do what they do perfectly. I'm sure there are more expensive lighter shoes but these fit the bill perfectly for me.

Similar Products Used: first pair of bike shoes
    Juri Rolf   Cross Country Rider [Nov 06, 2002]
    Strength:

good fit, easy to get used to

laces, cold feet (uhh, it s getting cold)

certainly not perfect, but a good starter product
    not too hard so you can walk and carry your bike
    the shoes also look quite nice
    the laces can get annoying, so I will probably update to something more expensive. Also I would say that this is definitely a summer shoe.

Mark   Weekend Warrior [Dec 20, 2005]
    Strength:

Good solid shoe, stiff enough to get power yet I am able to walk fine. Good looking shoe, and I like the little elastic strap for the laces.

They run a bit narrow, but I have wide feet. Nashbar did not have the 101W in my size, so I tried these. I would keep them but after 600 miles they just never widened out. Cant blame the shoe for that, so I have to say the shoe has no weaknesses.

Durable shoe, light weight, able to walk in them without looking like you have bike shoes. After riding with Lake shoes I will be sticking with Lake shoes.

Similar Products Used: ?
    Lee   Racer [Dec 27, 2002]
    Strength:

Good looking shoe, comfortable. I've been using them as shoes to commute to work, where I wear them all day.

They've got a little bit of reflective material on them, and I'm just happy with them, overall.

The laces are put through metal eyelets and reinforced by some kind of nylon webbing, but the two top eyelets are failing in my shoes. They pulled loose from the suede and are now just dangling on the laces, more or less. It seems the problem is that the nylon webbing did not anchor the eyelets from the bottom, so if you're the type that pulls up on the pedals with any force, the eyelets pop out over time.

One other complaint is that I wish the rubber treads were a bit taller so that the cleats wouldn't grind or scrape on the sidewalk's grit. Indoors, there's no scraping.

Lake offered warantee information, but I don't think I'll bother sending them back. This shortcoming in an otherwise good set of shoes can be solved with a little jury rigging, I think.

Anyway, I'd like to add that I'm not sure that these shoes are unsuitable for cold weather. Even with the pathetic winter we've had here, Wisconsin is still fairly chilly, and my feet have done fine with these shoes and wool socks. The shoes are comparable to an average running shoe, as far as warmth goes.

Nice shoe, especially if you like the style. Mine are grey suede with the blue webbing.

If you're looking for a hardy shoe to do some racing and whatnot, I probably wouldn't go with these. But for a combination of fairly aggressive commuting and just kicking around, they're pretty good.