Diadora Habanero Shoes

Habanero

Diadora Habanero

Adam   Cross Country Rider [Dec 02, 2001]
Strength:

Price, easy in/easy out, great cleat clearance for Shimano SPD

Very poor abrasion resistance

They're comfortable and took nearly no time to break in. The 2 buckle design is simple and very convenient to use.
Mesh design makes for great ventilation and quick drying after a ride.
My main beef with these shoes is the quality of construction in the toebox area. I ride mainly east-coast style with the occasional rocky passages, and the fronts of both shoes are worn considerably. One is abraided all the way through. There's a seam in the front-side where there should be solid material.
Other than a $100 for less than a season of riding, I liked the shoes.

Similar Products Used: Nike Cairns, Diadora Chilli Pro, Answer XC1
Willay Danny   Cross Country Rider [Dec 03, 2001]
Strength:

Very stiff sole, Easy in and out, light weight, i got them very cheap. They have a great look.

None yet

This is a very cheap shoe. I would have paid the full price for these. It is good looking and they have very stiff soles

Similar Products Used: sidi bullit
Valence Henry   Weekend Warrior [Sep 10, 2002]
Strength:

Good Fit and Looks Great

Heel Cup cracks and seperates from shoe after a couple of rides. Poor value per dollar. Material for heel seems brittle.

They are comfortable and look great but unless you are an easy going road rider who does little trail I would not suggest this shoe. Ideal for riders who do not mind having to replace shoes often.

Similar Products Used: Shamano M-220
simon   Racer [Feb 06, 2003]
Strength:

very, very comfortable - lightweight, reasonably waterproof, snug fit

not keen on silver

i was lucky enoough to get to a store where they simply let you try on everything for as long as you want. the diadora range was just much more comfortable than Nike in particular, but also the Sidis, shimanos and adidas they had in (and they had some top end stuff). i note that others on the site are wonderning about durability - so far so good, but then I'm not hammering them as others might. But if you get em cheap i can't see how you're going to go wrong.

Lisa   Racer [Mar 16, 2000]
Strength:

The removable spikes are nice and work great in muddy conditions. They are very stiff which is a plus, good power transfer.

The ratcheting buckle sucks if there is any sort of grit in it. The slightest bit of dirt makes them very difficult to get off because you can't unbuckle them. If you ride in sloppy conditions ever, these are probably not the shoes for you.

These shoes would be great if there was a little more tolerance in the buckle for grime. Even after hosing them off they still hard to remove. For the price there are definitely better shoes out there.

Similar Products Used: Answer Accelerator
Loren   Cross-Country Rider [Aug 12, 1999]
Strength:

These shoes are awesome! The fit well, have good support, and of course, they look really cool. Go to www.gitabike.com to check um out. The buckle system works well with a ski-boot type buckle on the top and velcro on the toe. The shoes fit well and are easy to put on and take off with the closure system. I was a worried at first that the buckle might be easily broken, but I've hit it on stuff pretty hard and its held together. These shoes have good support, and despite being stiff enough to transfer power well, they are comfortable to run in. The cleats help with traction. All around, I would recommend these shoes. Especially because they look cool.

I find that with my narrow foot, I have to tighten the buckle down all the way to get them tight enough. But for a wider foot, this wouldn't be a problem.

Buy them, they look cool, and do the job.

Edward Baruz   Weekend Warrior [Jul 12, 1999]
Strength:

Great Air Flow. Sheds water and mud well. Micro CL Strap Holds together well. Good Tread drops dirt clumps. Looks great.

The look that I like can also be mistaked for a person biking in a sandal while wearing white socks.

I really liked the Micro CL straps, similar to the type used in some ski boots. They dry quickly and give you feet decent ventilation. They hold together well even in twiggy places that ripped open my specialized velcros. The tread is much better than the Airwalks I have. You just have to see them, the look that I like, from about 20 feet, really look like sandals because of the silver mesh and the black straps. Definately my favorite of the three that I have used.

Similar Products Used: Airwalks, Specialized.
Randy   Weekend Warrior [Feb 26, 2003]
Strength:

Excellent fit for my wide feet, durability, cleat/pedal compatability.

A little expensive, but no more so than it's competitors.

Great shoe. Color (silver) may be a little flashy, but the ratchet buckles work great, it fits great, and mine don't even have the slightest sign of coming apart anywhere, and I weigh 185#.

I have used them with Egg beaters, Shimano SPD's, and Ritchey logic pedals, and had no compatability issues.

I would buy another pair today if I had to. After one year of use, the cost comes out to less than a penny a ride-and that is hard to beat!

Similar Products Used: Nike
Robert Banas   Cross Country Rider [May 09, 2002]
Strength:

None that I can think of as it stands right now!

The Toe Box on the shoe is completely coming apart! The most expensive and probably the least durable shoe that I have ever owned! The Buckles are not holding up that well either! Terrible durability compared to some of the cheaper shoes that I have owned!

If you are looking for a quality pair of Race shoes that are going to last, look elsewhere because the Habeneros will not cut it. They might hold up in a park, but I think that even that terrain would probably tear them apart in no time flat! As much as this looks like a good solid shoe, looks are decieving! It is a piece of GARBAGE! All that I can say is that Diadora is getting their shoes back and we will see if they have anything to say or do about what I bought! 1 chili in both categories only because I have to!!!

Similar Products Used: Specialized Comp shoes! Although probably half the price of the Habenero, have held up much better. If not a smidge too small I would still probably be using them!