Diadora Chilis Shoes

Chilis

Diadora Chilis

maclgallant   Weekend Warrior [May 08, 2010]
Strength:

durability durability durability

toes spikes broke off 1st year

These shoes maybe not the most comfortable but they lastest me 12 years!!!!! i am now searching for new ones and i doubt i'll ever be able to find a shoe as durable as these/// i have been riding since 1997 raced from 1998 to 2003, and average 3 rides a week after my racing retirement// i am blown away on how long these lastest me

Similar Products Used: my first pair of shoes 1998 and have lastest untill today 2010
Conrad Griffith   Cross Country Rider [Aug 18, 2003]
Strength:

Reasonably-priced shoe, fairly comfortable

Problems with cleat attachment platform, toe spikes, stretching

I have used these shoes for cross country riding and racing for 2 years. The toe spike "stubs" (inserted when not using toe spikes) fell out on all four locations soon after I started using the shoes, and yes, they were wrenched down snugly. More recently, the one shoe's SPD cleat mount has come loose at inopportune times - primarily when I am trying to disengage the pedal. I also find it difficult to locate the pedal due to the prominent rubber lugs on either side of the cleat, and that is with both Bonetrager and Shimano pedals. They are not bad shoes, but there are better out there.

Mr T   Cross Country Rider [Jun 27, 2003]
Strength:

Good looking shoe. In theory, having the whole top of the shoe (the top flap) as the strap should distribute pressure better than seperate straps.

The 2003 Models seem to have a manufacturing fault:

The top flap on the left shoe is sewn on too close to your ankle. To check for this fault, undo all the velcro and then close it again (Diadora ships the shoes with the top flap closed in such a way that it's hard to see the fault unless you do this). Note that the velcro pad on the shoe, closest to your toes), does not line up with the velcro on the top flap properly. The whole top flap is shifted towards your ankle, which can cause the part of the flap closest to your ankle to dig into the tendons at the front of your ankle. Very uncomfortable.

I had the shoe replaced twice (so that's 3 different pairs), and they all had the same fault on the left hand shoe (size 44). Seems to be a whole bad batch. I'm not impressed that Diadora hasn't recalled them.

Check that you're not buying a shoe from this bad batch.

rodoc1   Cross Country Rider [Feb 26, 2002]
Strength:

good price - lots of satisfied user reviews

fit was too narrow in my standard size.

This is a quick note on sizing since my experience differs from some other postings. My foot is 9.5, D width (these are US measurements). I wear a 43 metric shoe. When ordering the Chili's in size 43, i found the fit much too narrow (kind of like older shimano road shoes). I hope this advice helps you in correctly sizing you on-line purchase.

p.s. also noticed some dropped stitches in the toe box- a likely source of future troubles.

John   Cross Country Rider [Aug 22, 2002]
Strength:

cheap, decent fit

floppy sole, funky seems in toe box

Okay for 50 bucks, but they just don't hold up to serious riding. I weigh 170 and feel them flex all over the place. Also after a few weeks started developing wicked forefoot hotspots, switched out the innersoles which helped some, but now have the mushy underfoot feeling. Anything up to 1:30 hours they're fine, over that and you start looking for a new shoe. Hot too.

Look at Specialized's shoe line. Not sexy, but work a whole lot better and can usually be found to try on, which is a must.

Similar Products Used: Nike Cairns, Northwave Compacts, Specialized Sports...
JCRUM   Racer [Jan 20, 2002]
Strength:

stylin'. hard to argue wit'som'thin' that has got ya thru three years.

after about the fourth puddle, the velcro gets a little loose.

while i would most certainly get the sidis if i ever had the resources, the chilis seem to be doing a more than adequate job

Similar Products Used: specialised shoes.
Karen   Cross Country Rider [Dec 29, 2001]
Strength:

Women's model fits well and is durable.

Sole not stiff enough. I ended up with a stress fracture in my foot. It's hard not to blame the shoes.

I loved these shoes until I ended up with a stress fracture in my foot. I'm finding it hard not to blame the shoes. I wear them for both mtb and road riding. After long rides my left foot was just burning and extremely painful. Eventually I went to the doctor and it turned out I had a stress fracture. The stress fracture was caused by my forefoot being allowed to twist too much while riding.

I recently purchased a very stiff pair of Axo road shoes. And, I think I will resurrect my old Gaernes which never caused me any trouble and are still going strong after 9 years and many miles of regular wear.

I loved these shoes at first but am hesitant to recommend them to serious cyclists who put on high miles.

Similar Products Used: Gaerne - circa 1993
Sean   Cross Country Rider [Sep 08, 2001]
Strength:

The best fit or any shoe that I tried by a long, long way. It was also the only mtb. shoe that you could wear and not relaize that it is a mtb shoe and not just a comfortable casual shoe.

Slightly roomy, great for hot days, but i wear two socks on cold ones. The shoe is a litle high volume for my foot.

I tried on almost every brand of shoes that i could find at about 6 or 7 different shops. When i Finally tried on these shoes it is instantly apparent that they fit better and differently that any other shoe that I tried. This fit may not be for everyone, but the only other shoe that was even close was the Sidi Dominator 2.

Similar Products Used: Sidi, Northwave, Answer, AXO, Lake, Shimano, Specialized, Vans
matt   Cross Country Rider [Nov 05, 2001]
Strength:

Great shoe. Comfortable and durable.

Velcro frays.

These are the best cycling shoes I have ever owned. Period.
After six months of heavy use [@ 8,500 km], they still fit as well as ever. I use these primarily on my road bike [I'm mostly a roadie] though they're equally good on the MTB.

The one drawback is the velcro, which is beginning to fray. I hope I can have that repaired.

I like these shoes so much that I don't have road pedals on my bike anymore. I hope I can find a pair of road Diadoras that are as good as these so I can put a pair of Speedplay pedals on my bike.

Similar Products Used: See below.
Chris   Cross Country Rider [Jul 13, 2001]
Strength:

-Looks
-Lace and Strap
-Rubber Sole

None yet

Sweet shoes. i havnt had them 3 weeks and i love them. they are a tight fit with the lace and strap. The vent well too. they just molded to my feet, unliek some shoes that take 2 months. they are comfortable for running onthe trail when needed ro walking on rocks to carry. I got mine for 20% off, so i wasnt complaining, but even at normal price, they are a good deal.