Carnac Flight Shoes

Carnac Flight Shoes

Carnac Flight

[Jul 11, 2003]
Donn Escario

Strength:

roomy toebox, yet snug around the midfoot and heel. have definitely taken their share of beatings

they don't make them anymore

Ever since I tried these shoes on and bought them, I have all but stopped looking for new MTN shoes. I've had these since at least '98, and they've done me right. I've used them for a couple seasons of racing and lots of aggressive trail and cross-country/winter riding. I love these shoes, and I wish Carnac would start making them again.

specialized, Nike, Adidas (which really are NOT similar at all)

[Nov 14, 1998]
Jake
weekend warrior

Had 'em for a year and a half, and their still going strong. I ride with them daily, and the only worn part is a small spot on the heel. SPD cleats never loosened. I highly recommend them. The only downside is that they're a little heavy compared to other inferior shoes I've worn, but they are very stiff and efficient--unlike the cheapo's.

[Sep 27, 2000]
John

Strength:

Fits well, lots of room in the toebox, sole indestructible

Wears easily, scuffs if you look at them wrong.

I am a loyal Carnac aficianado, but boy are these shoes a disappointment. The outer heel material started to wear after three rides, then six months after riding them, the heel just tore out. Stay away... this is not Carnac's best effort.

Three other Carnac models.

[Sep 10, 2000]
Frank

Strength:

stiff sole, relitivly durable, wide enough for real feet

easily cosmetically damaged

The previous post is rediculous, I'm using mine with Time ATAC pedals and cleats with no problems. My only complaint is that the adaptor piece (these shoes are designed for use with euro cleats, not SPD's) raises the shoe off the pedal almost a centimeter. A slight but noticable raise in ones all important center of gravity

airwalk, scott, specialized

[Aug 04, 2000]
Reverend Deek

Strength:

Clown shoe good looks. Stiff like you read about.

TERRIBLE sole/insert design. Incompatible with Time mtb pedals. exceptionally poor customer service, complete with attitude.

These shoes are very nicely put together except for the cleat insert, which SSUCKS. The insert screws pull thru the cheap plastic with minimal torque. The threaded (and built into the sole)inserts will eventually come loose and spin freely in their housing, rendering the shoe useless. It's very hard to get in there to epoxy,etc. them short of drilling out the footbed. If, and when, you call Sinclair (the distributor) they won't stand behind this SPENDY shoe. Save yourself the trouble and get Northwave or Sidi.

Multiple Shimano shoes, Specialized, Northwave, Sidi.

[Jul 13, 1998]
Kyle Peterson
cross-country rider

Very comfortable shoes, but I have had a lot of trouble keeping the cleats from loosening up compared to other shoes. I ended up putting spare screws in the sub-plate to prevent turning as well as machined some bars to fill in the space down the adjustment slots. Then I finally Loktited all screws. Still an excellent shoe.

[Jun 15, 1998]
Carol
cross-country rider

The Carnac flight has a very stiff sole and stronger and stiffer upper body construction than any other ATB shoe I've used. I, personally, like the stiffer upper body for those long, steep, grinds (like the Wall on the Western States Trail) so I can crank on the upstroke. The stiff sole isn't great for walking, but like Carnac says, they make shoes for riding, not walking. The lace-up/velcro combination makes this an exceptional choice for those with narrower feet so you can tighten them more than most other shoes. The option for cleats is pretty great too. The shoes come with screws to protect the internal threads of the holes while not using the cleats. These, however, come out too easily (although you can get them at any hardware store). In addition, the protective screws suck big time on slickrock: You put your foot down and sliiiiiiiiide. Maybe there's a plastic screw that would work?

[Apr 30, 1997]
celly
weekend warrior

Just got tem today and rode them for the first time. Very stiff sole and superb construction. You usually get what you pay for (whattya expect for $200). Strangely though, the inner shoe lace broke the first time I put them on. Not enough to deter me from giving 5 chilis!

[Apr 27, 1998]
g. shaw
cross-country rider

Absolutely the most comfortable cycling shoes available. I tried the Sidi Dominators, Lakes, and various cheaper shoes (Nike, Performance, etc.). As soon as you pick these boys up you just feel the quality. Even more comfortable than my street shoes. Downsides? They seem pretty heavy (although I have not weighed them). Also, they could use a peice of kevlar or something on the nose. The soles are extremely stiff, so scrambling up rocks and boulders inevitably means standing on your toes. The leather there has taken a beating and will probably be the place that wears out first. Supposedly repairable, but we'll see. Also, they are expensive, but definitely a better product than some of that crap from Italy that everyone seems to buy these days.

[Apr 20, 1999]
Jamie
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

STIFF, long lasting, 'Roo leather, wide as all get out, plate mount system.

Not even the price is a weakness...

Carnac produce the best shoes in the world - bar none. I work at the #1 dealer in SIDI shoes in the world (in 1998) and guess what I sell 80%+ of Carnac shoes. Why? They outlast Sidis due to real leather (from kangaroos oddly enough), are ridiculously stiff and use a flush mount adapter plate which allows you to switch to any new cleat bolt pattern that may emerge (when SPD-R came out Carnac was the only brand other that could be used with it other than 1 Shimano model). I have EEE feet and these are the widest shoes out there so my dogs are lovin' it. I have downhilled in my Flights and ridden for two hours in water that got as high as my thigh and they are in near mint shape with a few surface scuffs and cuts in the hard plastic (resin) sole. I highly recommend these because they represent a great value in that they will outlast any $100 shoe by years and will outperform them any day of the week.

Shitty Shimano, Answer Accelerator...