Bontrager Race Mountain Shoes

Bontrager Race Mountain Shoes

• Stiff nylon plate with full rubber outsole
  • 3 Velcro straps for comfort and ease-of-use
  • 2-hole SPD-style cleat attachment
  • Premium, long-lasting synthetic leather
  • External molded heel-cup prevents heel-slip

[Sep 03, 2015]
Roberto

Strength:

I noted Bontrager has marketed the Bantrager Race MTB shoe for many years and they have made numerous subtle changes and obviously changes in the construction that have resulted in failures. Mine are old and have had no problems whatsoever

the ferrous metal components seem to weigh more then the remainder of the shoe

nice product

nice product

[Sep 12, 2014]
mark!

Strength:

Wide, comfortable, stiff sole, changeable insoles, durable so far

Could use a ratchet system, but then again I guess that's why they're $90 and the next step up are $149.

These were my first pair of MTB clipless shoes. I didn't want to spend $300 on Giro or Sidi shoes, and trying to find a size 48 in store is pretty ridiculous. I tried these on, clipped in on the trainer at the store and unclipped about 50 times. I have a wide, fat foot, and have a pretty bad toenail on my right foot since I smashed it a while back, just never been the same. When I have pressure on it overtime, it aches like crazy. The foot box in these shoes is wide enough to prevent that from happening. So far these shoes have lasted through some pretty sketchy conditions, and have held up to this clydes smash style of riding. The cleats help a ton after you take the wrong line and end up on your ass too.

[Jul 04, 2012]
Eirikur

Strength:

These shoes are not bad to walk on when off the bike, thats about it.

I got these shoes from the shop instead of other cheaper Bontrager SSR shoes when I broke the sole while biking.
The design of these shoes are weird, I have a very normal shaped foot and the fit is just to laugh about.
The toebox is very narrow (from the ballpoint and forward) and the rest of the shoe is very wide.
Insert is very thin and the the shoes are uncomfortable.

Ive had it with Bontrager products.

[Sep 17, 2011]
XCoalMiner

Strength:

None that are apparent. I needed a new pair in a rush and for reasons unknown settled on these.

Above posters reports the same problems I had: 1) the stitched loop that holds the "D" ring that the strap laces through ripped off/fell off, after only six rides. It was the smallest one on the right shoe, and I didn't tighten it one or twice. 2) One sole came unglued after less than five months use. This happened after walking bike along a gravel road due to a flat near the end of a ride.

Shame on Bontrager for selling such a cheap product, I had a higher opinion before seeing these fall apart.

Avoid. At $90, these things started failing after five rides. Now the right shoe is near useless after six months of 2 or 43 times a week riding.

I had a pair of Shimano that lasted nine years before the rubber parts started peeling away from the metal soles.

[Oct 20, 2010]
FotoJesse

Strength:

Fit, Comfort

Construction

While putting the shoes on for a ride, the stitched loop that the ring that the strap laces through ripped. The shoes are only approximately 3 months old. They have been very comfortable and the fit has been good, but with poor materials and construction these get 1's from me. Gotta buy some new shoes this weekend.

N/A

[Sep 07, 2010]
skiertas

Strength:

Very comfortable shoe.

Soles come unglued.

Overall the shoes have been great. I did have the same problem as another reviewer, in that the soles of the shoes came unglued. Shoe glue has solved that problem. Winter rides were comfortable. And they drain nice when you cross that slightly deeper than expected stream. I've ridden 5 plus hours in them and they are still comfortable after that much time pedaling.

[May 01, 2010]
rs

Strength:

Not too heavy, Nice velcro strap system, Above average energy transfer, Comfortable for a snug fitting shoe, Good price

There are lighter shoes out there. For me it's irrelevant.

The shoes are comfortable to wear while riding, good stiffness and are under a $100.00.

Shimano, Pearl Izumi

[Sep 22, 2009]
astrat

Strength:

Inexpensive, comfortable, good grip when off the bike and climbing trails.

none yet. possibly, poor power transfer but I don't pay attn to that jargon.

Good shoes for the price, very comfortable, great grip. Love 'em.

The only problem - it took forever to figure out how to install the cleats. On most shoes the rubber bit on the sole of the shoes that covers the rails that you screw the cleats into just pops off. With these you have to cut off that little rubber bit. I did this by making a slit at the top and pealing them back. Other than this little design flaw, I like them lots. More than enough shoe for the average rider/average racer.

Shimano cheapos.

[Aug 24, 2009]
guywhowlikestofall

Strength:

Fit, stiff and good air flow

none yet

These are my first real mountain bike shoes and for the price how can you go wrong. Im good at punishing my stuff, weighting in at 260 and these shoes have taken it.

[Jul 24, 2009]
halpo

Strength:

Great Tread. Wide. Really Comfortable.

The holes not being cut out confused the heck out of me at first.

Took me 6 months to find shoes that fit my feet. Everything I found was too narrow. These fit great, and are more comfortable than most shoes I own. I forget that I have them on after I get done riding.

I thought the tread would get in the way but it doesn't at all. I got caught in a down pour the other day and they did great at keeping the water out, probably 5 minutes of a good Texas thunderstorm that my feet stayed dry.

Oh and those adjustable insoles are great to.