AXO Cycling Viper Shoes

Cycling Viper

AXO Cycling Viper

Gak   Cross-Country Rider [Jan 04, 2000]
Strength:

Very Comfortable
Stiff mid sole
Breathable upper

Not a winter shoe
Yellow is too loud for me

Upgraded from Shimano 055. I find the Viper very comfortable and very stiff. I can feel that the stiffness actually help improve my pedaling stokes.The internal lacing and velcro straps gives a very snuff fit. The slight down side of the lacing and straping is that it is quite bothersome to put shoes on and to take it off.Not a winter riding shoe. Mesh breathable upper means cold feet. Will try Stormkloth wind proof socks to see if it helps.Bottom line. Great shoes. If you can find one at a good price got for it !

Similar Products Used: Shimano 055
SCOTT silvers   Cross Country Rider [Sep 12, 2000]
Strength:

snug grippy heel pocket - very secure, no lift. Burly construction - tough. Velcro - on or off in 5 seconds. Roomy toebox and well ventillated. Stiff sole

feels fine at first, but if you have a wide foot, this shoe gets narrower and narrower the longer you wear it - pain.
Cleat placement on the shoe can be a problem for bowfooted riders - cant rotate the cleat (shimano)far enough so feet clear cranks while pedaling

I was desperate for a good racing shoe for the 24hours of snowshoe race - got these three days prior. What a way to break in a pair of shoes. I beat these shoes up pretty bad, since I had to hikeabike pretty much the whole way - but they withstood the abuse just fine. Months later, I am still futzing around with the cleat placement - I just cant get em right. If the cleat mounting holes were closer to the big toe side of the shoe, my bowlegged feet wouldnt hit the cranks so much. Since my cleats are so cockeyed, I have big time trouble clicking in - even with new cleats, therefore I hate this shoe, even though it is pretty good.

Similar Products Used: shimano m080, shimano m52 mid tops, basketball shoes
Turk   Racer [Nov 20, 2000]

This is a 6-month follow-up to my earlier review. I've worn these shoes 5-6 days a week for commuting, weekend epics, racing--including 24-hour races--and just plain walking around town. They've been through numerous stream crossings and mud bogs (in the delightful Georgia clay), and hiked many rocky/muddy miles. In other words, these things have take a lot of abuse in 6 months. I've cleaned them just a couple times.

Upper construction, including the strap system has held up extremely well. I'm still not completed thrilled with the design of the strap system, since it creates a roll in the nylon mesh when it's cinched tight (see my earlier review), but the buckles have worn well, velcro is still in great shape, and the system WORKS). Over the entire shoe no tears, stitching is in excellent condition, nothing coming undone, nylon mesh has stretched a bit, but no distortions. No problems at all with a 4 cleat changes. The lugged soles have worn well, grip better than Northwaves, and still have a good 12 months left on them, easily. With a good cleaning, they'd look new. They are still reasonably comfortable, although they have not formed to my feet like Sidi Domi's or feel as biomechanically engineered as my old Northwaves. They're a little hot, but bearable, for the Georgia summer, and they can get a little chilly at <30 degrees F, but that's what duct tape if for. Overall, they have proven to be a great, well-made shoe, especially for the price.

brian   Cross Country Rider [Aug 15, 2000]
Strength:

very well ventilated shoe, easy to get on and off due to the unique strap system.

Not very stiff, my 65$ Specialized El Gatos are alot stiffer than these Vipers. The unique strap system is a pain to fiddle with and does not seem to offer much adjustment. I'm not real happy with the fit either, not sure why I bought these now that I write this review. Must have been the on sale price and the lack of room on my credit card.

Not realy happy with the shoes, certainly not worth 129 bucks, so hopefully you buy them on sale. I'm not saying they're bad shoes, but just not right for me. I wish I would have saved a few more dollars and picked up the Diadoras. Shoes and shorts are not things to skimp on.

Similar Products Used: Specialized
Turk   Cross Country Rider [May 01, 2000]
Strength:

- looks (just this side of not looking like clown shoes)
- huge toebox (if that's what you are looking for)
- Lugs seem pretty grippy

- The upper doesn't seem as nice as '99 model--more exoskeleton (=added weight), no leather/lorica, just vinyl, plastic and mesh, from what I can see (Axo's website says leather, but it ain't true--they need to correct)
- Pretty heavy for a racing shoe.
- out of the box seems durable, but details matter: example: a cut/stamped, instead of stitched, tongue-- probably won't last you through 3 years of racing
- made in China--but what the hell, so was my bike frame.

Note: this review is for the '00 Viper (blue model).

See strengths/weaknesses above. The fit's just not right for me, oddly--I have a wide forefoot, but this was too wide! The upper would bind (Kind of create a roll) when I strapped in, and I still had too much room. I raced 'em once (sunny, dusty, 80 degree F) and they didn't fry my feet, but they're not very cool either. Seems like a good shoe, for a fair price. For a racing shoe (weight, breathability, construction) there are better out there. For a weekend performance, beat it to hell, shoe, it's probably great, but do you need to spend $130+ on that?

Similar Products Used: Northwave, Shimano
Pup   Racer [Feb 10, 2000]
Strength:

Everything. This shoe has it all. They are light and stiff enough for XC but extreamly tough for downhill.

These are the best shoes made. I XC and DH race all in the same day in these shoes. They look great and hold up well. Some of my DH buddies are jeaolus even though they run flats. I wouldn't even think of using something different. Thanks for the shoes I.E. Bikes. www.iebikes.com

Similar Products Used: Shimano, Specialized
Dave Montgomery   Cross Country Rider [Jan 19, 2000]
Strength:

Great Price, Solid build, light, great fit, easy to walk in.

nothing so far, probably not a good cold weather shoe

Like many of the other folks in this review , I took a chance on these shoes with out ever actually handling them.
Got mine from Jenson USA for $85. So far these shoes are outstanding, Ive never had a pair of $200 shoes but they must be really nice if they're better than the Viper. We'll see how time treats them.

Similar Products Used: Specialized shoes
Rob Moore   [Jan 17, 2000]
Strength:

All a round good shoe. Not AS expensive as others (SIDI)

not good for clip pedals

A superior shoe that offers everything ever needed. Comfortable even when I'm not on my bike. Got mine on special through Performance. Jenson had a special but not my size used the price match at Jenson and got them for cheap.

knight   Cross-Country Rider [Dec 21, 1999]
Strength:

Great price (Aardvark)
Fit
Not ridiculous looking

Weren't free
None, really!

AXO rules! I bought these shoes online without even trying them on and they fit perfect. Bottoms are stiff and the soles are tough and actually make engaging pedal quite easy. Smokin' deal at Aardvark (see online retailers in hotlinks!), their service rules. I've also got AXO gloves, they rule too. I'll be back in a year or so and tell you how they last.