AXO Cycling Cortez Shoes

AXO Cycling Cortez Shoes

AXO Cycling Cortez

[May 27, 2000]
Charlie

Strength:

not ugly, fit well, not too heavy

Velcro patch kinda short on the strap.

First pair of clipless shoes...fit my wide feet well (size 42. Fairly light. Black and gray color looks OK after a few rides. Doesn't rub on the back of the heel. Good traction in the loose stuff. SPD cleats fit well. Not sorry I bought them. Still comfortable after three or four hours of riding. Have no idea how they will hold up long-term. 4 burning lungs for these puppies.

[Feb 19, 2001]
David

Strength:

Fit, durability.

Sole a little too flexy.

Had these shoes for two seasons now, and they still look and work like new. They've been completely unrecognizable as footwear with mud, but I let' em dry, brushed the most of the mud off with a stiff brush, tossed 'em in the washer and they came out good as new. I wish they had had the slightly taller ones (that they sell now) when I bought mine, but oh well...I also wish the soles were a little more rigid, but that'll be my next pair, IF and WHEN these wear out!

[Jul 18, 2000]
Adam S.

Strength:

Price, Comfort, Weight, Breathability

Stiffness, Not so good in rain or mud.

I love these shoes. They are very comfortable, my feet do not cramp up at all! They are very light and are vented very well, my feet do not get that sweaty.. I would not recommend them for racing b/c they are not that stiff. Also in wet conditions your feet will get soaked (but then again, I think in any shoe your fill would get wet). Overall, these are great shoes for the price (I got them for 70 bux at my LBS), so far that have lasted w/o any ripped laces and the sticthing is still intact. I do not plan to upgrade to a better shoe or any other shoe in the time being. Matter of fact when these are destroyed, I will probably buy 'em again!

Specialized Rockhopper

[Feb 05, 2000]
Sonny

Strength:

Price

What happened to quality control?

I bought these shoes for my wife. Pulled 'em out of the box, pulled out the inserts to mount the cleats and, whoa! both inserts were for left feet. So this review concerns quality control at AXO. It sucks! If this company ever does right by me, I'll be back to give the shoes a fair review.

[Sep 27, 2002]
Ken

Strength:

decent tought upper shoe. Good ankle support with the high-top style. Velcro strap functionally keeps shoelaces out of your cranks.

Hot, very hot. Thick black rubber/leather toe is not breathable. The dogbones(metal pieces the cleats screw into) that come with them are thin and shift easily. Also the midsection of the sole split after about four months of wear. I liquid nailed the sole back together. To be candid, I'm not sure if its Axo's fault, I have a bad habbit of riding on that part of the shoe if I can't get clipped in for some reason, or if I unclip for a puck 9(something scary).

I could imagine these things would be much more useful in a colder or wetter enviroment. For me I think the heat in the shoe is a little too much in AZ. I spray painted mine white and drilled holes in them. For those shoe shopping I reccomend trying on several different pairs, its worth spending an extra $20 if the shoes are better for the enviroment.

First pair of bike shoes.