Answer XC-1 Shoes

Answer XC-1 Shoes

he 2006 XC-1 has a swanky new upper design with Answer Products' 2 strap and buckle closure system for a snug, secure fit. You get a lot for your money here.

• Superlight dual compound sole, breathable mesh upper
  • Vented mesh insole helps keep your feet cool
  • Accepts Shimano SPD and SPD-compatible cleats (Crank Bros., Time, Wellgo, etc)
  • Does not include toe spikes

• USER REVIEWS

[Feb 20, 2002]
    Alan Koslowski

Strength:

Comfort, stiffness, durability, traction, heal catch. Great value.

Laces, flamboyant coloration.

This is great high end mountain bike shoe that compares favorably to other brands that cost twice as much (ie SIDI). You should be able to find the 2001 model for less than $90 (the the 01 and 02 models are basically the same).

This is my first high-end shoe and I must say I'm impressed. The sole is stuff as oak, but very comfortable to walk in (it almost feels like a slipper). I don't know how they do it: Maybe it's the LHS design, but whatever it is, it works. The lamenated sole and aggressive tread give the shoe exceptional traction and durability. I was a little skeptical of the heal catch (a neoprene insert sewn into the heal), but it does seem to help hold your foot in place and provides extra comfort. The overall workman ship seems excellent.

As always, I do have a few minor gripes. The laces are flimsy (I broke only a couple days after I bought the shoe). The bright red color scheme (01 model) is a little loud for my taste (though it does provide visibility). These shoes do take a little while to get in and out of, but that's because of all the comfort features (laces and velcro straps), so that's just me being picky.

The more I use Answer products, the more impressed I am with the company (and no, I'm in no way professionally affiliated). The XC-1 is another one of their many exceptional quality/great value products. It's a great shoe period, and the comparatively low price makes it even better.

AXO Tiburon

[Jan 19, 2006]
    Dan

Strength:

Look cool(bright red), came with free Crank Brothers Candy C pedals

Toe too wide, tongue bunches up and cuts off circulation when tightened, heel moves too much, toe spikes wore out really really fast

I don't like these shoes, but if you have wide feet these will be good for you.

Diadora shoes

[Jan 18, 2006]
    Jay Ho

Strength:

New design with the ratchet strap. Good shoes historically.

Not too crazy about the color

Have you seen these pups? The ones are the 2006 model, black and silver with the ratchet straps. It's been a while since anyone reviewed this line. Soild shoes through what I've used them for. Works as well as anything else I've rode and are much more comfy than my Impacts were. They are a little wider in the toe box which is great for my wide feet. Before, we had to pick up Sidi Megas. Hey, if you don't mind shelling out $200+ for shoes you constantly drag through mud and scrap off rocks, go ahead. I got 2 pairs of shoes for that same money and they both function perfectly.

Answer Impact, 661 Peak, Gaerne, AXO

[Jan 30, 2002]
    MossLager

Strength:

Feels good, looks good. Great sole. Comfortable for long periods.

Tread seems a bit soft. Imagine it won't last too long. But for the deal I got...thats fine.

If you can get the deal I got or even under a 100.00, buy'em. They are good for it. Over 120.00, check your options.

Shimano

[Sep 27, 2001]
    Dave

Strength:

Looks Good, Stiff sole, Fit well, High-quality leather, Engineering;the lateral heel retention system, toe-spikes and grippy sole. Feels comfy after three or four rides and ventilates well.

Fabric portions on inside heal area prone to ripping when come in contact with sprockets; should just put leather there. The grippy sole may be too grippy, it is not durable so don't walk around on this shoe on pavement or hard surfaces (this is evidenced by cleat area slightly ripping away from pedal engagement and the feel of the rubber, toe spike ripped out on the first ride.

This is a real xc shoe. Good looks, good fit and very stiff. I like them better than the weaknesses column indicates. I'm very hard on shoes and these are holding up well despite the little problems. The toe spike simply jettisoned itself. (I still have to contact Answer for a replacement, my LBS cannot seem to get any). When the fabric ripped on the Shimanos, I just put some industrial strength glue on that part and kept going and will do that on this fabric area too. Probably cannot expect fabric to survive contact with sprockets but there should just be leather there anyway. I have a small heel and the cup is a little large but not too bad. I just cinch up the straps tight. The inside laces are somewhat difficult to tie due to the flap covering them but they really do seem to add a slipper-like feel to the shoe. The top strap could be a little longer as well. Overall, this is a great shoe for the price. The cleats screw in tight, they feel great with the Time pedals, they are very stiff, they look good, the lower heel area is encased in hard plastic for heel protection, and the toe spikes really work well. 4 flamers overall due to the little problems but really do like the shoes so more like 4.5.

Shimano M-032

[Jul 08, 2001]
    Marc Peot

Strength:

Fits like the last was made from my foot.
    Stiff, stiff, stiff.
    Straps AND laces, Strong Heel Cup, Sole Durability Problem is Fixed -- and it looks GREAT!!

None -- It's a Bomber!

Answer has always fit my foot the best -- I have a wide forefoot and a very narrow heel. The Carnac's have too wide a heel for me-- and the Sidi's seem too flimsy and WAY overpriced.
    These shoes are built like tanks, compared to them!
    They are very stiff.
    They also seem to have good ventilation, as well.
    And, finally -- the sole delamination and knob tearing has been fixed!! Thank You, Answer!!
    Be sure to check around before you buy -- JensonUSA has them for $119.00 -- there is really no reason to pay 190.00 or whatever.
    Happy Trails!!

Nike Yuha+, Answer Accelerator, various Carnacs and Sidi's.

[Mar 08, 2001]
    MIKE

Strength:

It's not narrow... fits wider feet
    Nice traction... got spikes

Price

To be honest, I can't tell the difference between my $30 Accelerators and the $100+ XC1. The XC1 has leather uppers, but their too soft and flimsy - the synthetic leather on the Accelerators is more firm and keeps crap out of your laces better. I got my Accelerators last year on clearance sale and they only lasted one year, but $30 per year for shoes is not a bad deal.

One nice thing about Answer shoes is that they fit my 11.5 wide feet very nicely. I will most likely continue to buy Answer shoes, but I really don't see what spending more $$$ gets me.

If you can get 'em cheap, then you'll like 'em.

Nike, Answer Accelerator, Specialized

[Aug 23, 2000]
    Brien

Strength:

Great Fit (Wide toe box), siff soles and are great for warm weather riding

None, Atleast not yet

Good Shoe, resonable price when on sale. Answer seems to have taken care of the sole delamination problem on previous models. Sole is stiffer and fit has also been improved. The shoes also have good ventalation, however your feet will be very dirty if you ride in dusty conditions. These shoes are by far best shoe I have owned and Are holding up well and I tend to be very hard on equipment.

Answer Accelator's, Various Nike's

[May 14, 2001]
    Shaggy

Strength:

I was surprised at first that my 48 foot fit in these shoes so well, and quite comfortably considering the fact that i normally wear a size 14. I,ve ridden these shoes through just about anything can think of(including horse sh-poop), and i am thoroughly immpressed with the lack of deterioration of the sole, aside from some rubbing on the side due to rider error.

U can't replace the plate(at least i don't think u can) on the bottom of the shoe, have had to change the laces once in a year.

Excelent shoes if u can afford them. I ride them on average of 2hrs a day 4 days a week, and they take it like a champ, so go buy a pair if you are looking for a pair of shoes that are light durable and are in it for the long haul.

answer accelerator, diadora chile's

[Mar 03, 2003]
    Jeremy Neal

Strength:

Lightweight, stiff.

The velcro on the straps comes off easily, and the buckles that hold the straps rip. Happened on both shoes. I'm waiting for replacements from Answer, but I don't see how they could fix these problems short of a redesign.

Don't buy them for durability, would make a good race shoe though.

Shimano shoes.