Airwalk Sprocket Shoes

Airwalk Sprocket Shoes

Airwalk Sprocket

[Oct 05, 1999]
Matt

I've been extremely happy with my Sprockets the whole time I've had them. Getting the sole lug removed for installing my Speedplay Frog cleats was like trying to unshoe a horse with your bare fingers. I was also quite happy to know that my unusually-sized cleats posed no problems when I was installing them on these shoes because I had heard of other Speedplay owners that had to cut away half their sole to install the cleat.
Once the cleats were in and I'd adjusted them after riding with them for a few days, I had no problems with the cleat twisting and moving from its original position, even after having a losing battle with a pile of boulders on a downhill run.
These shoes are not for racing, although I've outridden many a rider who owns much more expensive shoes and the shoes have performed as well as any other shoes I've tried. Mud clearance is good, but as others have said they're a bit heavy, especially when fully soaked.
These shoes are a hybrid for a racer's OTHER life -- you know, the one where you work, walk down the street, play basketball with buddies, and still ride your bike without having to change shoes. I've done it ALL in these shoes -- in addition to some pretty heavy riding -- and the sole has worn very well. They're stable enough that you can walk without being tip-toed or worry about turning an ankle. It's basically for anyone who loves riding but doesn't want to walk around wearing neon green racing shoes. I give airwalk five melting wax lips for a great shoe!

diadora
nike

[Jun 21, 1999]
IL

Strength:

durable, keeps dust & stones out

heavy, take a while to dry

Got these free so can't complain about the price. I own the Sprocket Plus with the zip up front and they've done the job for near enough three years. Heavy and soak up water when its really wet, but that doesn't bother me. They're fine during normal rain. Keep the stones and dust out real well. They are pretty warm but don't keep the cold out in mid-winter (not a New England one anyway). I'd recommend some additional layering then. Have been using them with Look Alium clipless and I haven't detected any signs of damage to the sole. I'm sure there are better shoes out there, but I have been, and still am happy with these. Can't give them less than five hot ones.

N/A

[Jun 15, 1998]
weekend warrior

To follow up on my previous review. I have a new pair of sprockets and everything is great. No problems with the sole. This is a comfy shoe that is nice and warm for winter use. The caveat is that they get wet easily and take a while to dry out. The best part is that they have a casual look and you can wear them anywhere. I havn't tried clubbing in them, yet!.

[Apr 16, 1998]
weekend warrior

I had these shoes about 2 months and the sole trashed out on the left foot. I had been using them everyday for
about two weeks when this happened. I almost always click out on the left. It would appear that the midsole
is not really strong enough as it looked like cardboard when the SPD cleat had finished with it. That really
spoilt my impression of what otherwise is a great shoe. You can wear them anywhere and they look cool. A
bit hot to ride in mid summer though. Airwalk replaced them for me so I will see how the new pair hold up

[Jun 08, 2001]
Paul

Strength:

Comfy. Casual. SPD cleat recessed so you can wear them anywhere. Warm enough in the mild aussie climate. Durable. Versatile

Hotish in Summer. Flexy sole doesn't make for all out racer power transfer.

See my two previous reviews. I've now had these over three years. I wear them heaps and commute with them at least 3 time a week. I wear them most of the day when I am at Technical College. Most people can't even tell they are cycling shoes.

They are about to die but considering the use they get it's not surprising.

Not sure if Airwalk are still doing this type of thing which is a shame as I'll struggle to find shoes to replace
them.

Carnac. Shimano.

[Apr 22, 2004]
Jason

Strength:

Cheap and durable. Good for walking.

Heal strap seemed to do nothing. Green models are ugly!

I have finally retired these shoes now that the toes have blown out in each shoe. Normally I would be unhappy with my shoes falling apart, but I have had them for six long years. For that entire time I never gave a second thought to my shoes because they never gave me a problem, They just worked. After buying them on clearance I was expecting them to only last a couple of seasons. I do have to say that these may be the ugliest shoes ever (they are the green models). Its too bad Airwalk is no longer making MTB shoes, it would make shopping a lot easier.

[Jan 27, 2000]
Mike alstatt

Strength:

comfortable

sole sucked

These shoes sucked.the soles split and become unglued to the inner sole.I just sent back my 2nd pair.Both spocket and hammer shoes blew apart at the sole in only a few months