Adidas Marathon Shoes

• TPU + Rubber lugs for traction + durability
  • 3D mesh Polyester/Polyamide
  • Upper in synthetic leather

Trystero   Racer [Oct 04, 2008]
Strength:

Inexpensive, easy to walk in, breathe well

Strap system is poorly designed.

A great product for the price, but the straps are way too long, and cinching them tight makes me nervous for the strings. I used a different cleat plate, so I didn't have the problems others faced with their cleats. Still, I got more than I paid for.

rob   Cross Country Rider [Dec 27, 2006]
Strength:

inexpensive

Lots. Cheap looking plastic uppers. Strings and elastics seems flimsy. Straps too long. But the biggest has got to be the awful design of the cleat mounting plates, with their plastic threads. After stripping 2 of the holes, I finally got the rear holes to work so that my cleats would stay put, let's see how long they hold.

These shoes were cheap and are not uncomfortable, but I would never buy them again simply because of the problems with mounting the cleats -- which others have apparently experienced too.

Similar Products Used: Shimano, Sidi, Time, Diadora -- all were better
Thomas Coffin, Sr.   Weekend Warrior [Jun 08, 2007]
Strength:

Price. Fits well. Looks Good. Well ventilated

Cleat nuts.

The reviews of these shoes are somewhat accurate. Yes, the cleat nuts suck. I just used the cleat setup from my old shoes. Problem solved. I can't think of anything else that is bad from these shoes. Yes, straps are long, but not in the way. They do use a string pull system to tighten the straps. Have not had a problem with them yet. I have the same system on my North Face hikers. They work well. I have had them for years. The bottom line is this. I got more than what I paid for. Other reviewers must be spoiled by Sidi shoes or the like to rate these shoes so poorly, or they are just too hard on their equipment. I enjoy them, and they match my color scheme to my bike. Bonus.

Similar Products Used: Sette. Diadora
Nick   Cross Country Rider [Nov 16, 2006]
Strength:

none really

odd size, width and length OK, but seem tall with allot of extra material. Straps way too long.
The main beef is the crappy cleat plate on these shoes, both have stripped out.

Just a bad shoe all around. Terrible design.
I wouldn't recommend them to any one but a rival racer in hopes that their cleat plates would strip out during a race rendering their clip-less pedals useless!

Similar Products Used: Specialized, Diadora
KI   [Mar 20, 2007]
Strength:

Mostly comfortable, look good, good ventilation, easy to walk in

Plastic cleat nut, as everyone has already mentioned

I had to put a word in and raise the rating on these shoes. I think they are decent shoes and they haven't given me any problems.

To the guy that wrote that they don't fit well ... that's what you get for buying any shoe online.

Yes, the existing cleat nut does suck and does strip, making it impossible to get the cleat to torque specs.

Why not just put a new nut in from a SPD cleat set instead of thinking its the end of the world? You can even buy the nut separately for $5 or less. It's not a big deal.

Jay Pelletier   Racer [Aug 15, 2006]
Strength:

Comfortable shoe. Look cool.

Inserts strip for cleats...

These shoes bite. Tightening the cleats - BOTH inserts stripped on BOTH shoes. These shoes sux. Lots of stitching and strings to break too.

Similar Products Used: Performance shoes, Sidi
Duan   Cross Country Rider [Nov 05, 2007]
Strength:

Affordable price

Affordable price, strapping tends to wear and fray

The affordable pricing of these shoes are both its plus and it's minus. The straps tend to be too long so when you velcro it tight some of the velcro does not mate up. My top left shoe strap is starting to fray as I pull to cinch down the shoe.

It is light and easy to walk in though especially when you are doing short hike-a-bike. Cool design from Adidas but the quality is lacking.

Next time i'll buy a shoe with a ratchet fastening system.

Similar Products Used: Shimano
Scott   Weekend Warrior [Oct 04, 2007]
Strength:

Weight, quick entry via velcro straps

Insole is very minimal. They are comfortable but they take a while to get used to.

Good shoes and good price. They are a very light shoe for the price. I was a little sketchy about the strings and velcro straps for retention but I have never had any issues with them and I have been using them for almost two years. I also have not had any issues with the cleats but thats not to say that the others have not. Another thing I liked about them was how well they breath. If you step in a puddle the water drains quickly and drys up fast as well. There is not much to the insole of the shoe so they can be a little uncomfortable at first but my feet got used to them quickly. If you are looking for a light shoe at a good price these are a good pair of shoes.