Adidas Jaltona II ATB Shoe 2001 model Shoes

Jaltona II ATB Shoe 2001 model

paul matthews   Cross Country Rider [Nov 15, 2006]
Strength:

reasonably stiff sole with studs for mud

awful ratchet mechanism;sole poorly glued on;sole too thin through the midfoot

Theses are by a long way the worst shoes I,ve used in 15 years of riding.Thats what happens if you dont do your research and think youre bagging a bargain.These have gone in the bin after the sole partly detached 30 offroad kms from home.It made disengaging the cleat v. difficult with my hindfoot unconnected to the sole.Replaced them with Lake mx165(much better)

Similar Products Used: nike poobah(ok),nike superpoohbah(rubbish),nw winter boots(brilliant),sidis(good),scott(good)
Piers   Cross Country Rider [Jan 18, 2003]
Strength:

Good fit, less mesh than most, grippy sole, lace-cover to keep out the mud, lots of reflective bits for night rides.

Second ride out (less than 50 miles total distance) the right rachet mechanism jammed closed and, after 3 or 4 minutes of fiddling, trying to get my foot free, the thing tore part way off the lace-cover. There was only one band of close spaced stitching holding the plastic piece to the shoe. Close spaced stitching in plastic? "Please tear off along the perforations" springs to mind!

As all the other guys say, DO NOT BUY them.
Along with Nike, Adidas can't make off-road shoes that are tough enough for the challenge.

Similar Products Used: Vittoria MTB (1991 to 1994), Sidi Dominator and Techno (1994 to 1999), Lake 200 (1999 to 2001), Shimano 150 (burnt in car wreck), Diadora Jalapeno (2001 to present). Sidi Genius road shoe for 9 years (the last 6 years daily!).
brennan   Racer [Sep 30, 2002]
Strength:

looks cool, innovative features

heavy, fragile, poor quality

though seemingly overbuilt and priced as a premium mtb shoe, the sole on one of my jaltonas snapped cleanly after less than 2 months of use. they were also really heavy and had far too many lugs on the sole that only add weight and collect more mud. avoid no matter the discount!

Similar Products Used: sidi dominators, lake mx300
Mountain Mike   Weekend Warrior [Feb 28, 2005]
Strength:

Lightweight,durable,looks cool,ventilate well,nice fit,durable materials.This pair survived a 50km/h crash 2 days after I started using'em...The buckles were badly scratched,but they didn't bend..

Nothing much to complain.I notice that some reviewers have got problems with the buckle & stitching...If they've taken the time to figure out how the buckle mechanisms work,they shouldn't have any problems... Difficult to find.. Some complained about the fit,esp. the size.Well, they should realise that different manufacturers size their shoes differently...

Well worth the money.It's cheaper here in M'sia.So,IMHO it's reasonably priced.Well,at least for me.I happened to know the distributors... :)

Will get another pair of Adidas Mtb shoes when I need a new pair.

Similar Products Used: Specialiazed El Gato Team
Sean   Cross Country Rider [Jul 23, 2002]
Strength:

Seems like a pretty strong shoe so far. I've only been riding for a little more than a month.

Seems to transfer power real well

Buckle is weak and poorly protected. Teeth on top strap strip very easily.

I generally like the shoes but the top strap and buckle are weak. What really annoys me is that the strap is set up for real easy replacement and Adidas doesn't have straps available. Given the price they are asking, the shoe should be alot more durable or they should back it up much better. I would be really ticked off if I had paid much more for them. Based on experience so far, Adidas should stay out of this market.

Similar Products Used: Northwave, Specialized
Curtis   Cross Country Rider [Sep 22, 2004]
Strength:

Very comfortable, and I do have wide feet with a high arch. The only problem that this presents is that the velcro tab at the front does not engage completely. Where I come from having a cover over the tongue and a relatively sealed shoe means less aggravating grass seeds in my shoes !!

Never had any problems with the ratchet mechanism !! In fact one one occasion saved my ankle bone from being eaten by the road after I wiped out. Never had any issues that other reviewers had. Maybe I was just lucky !!

Had these shoes for over 3 years now and they are still going strong appreciate having a rubber lugs on the sole, makes it easier to walk on rock for the times when I have to.

I guess you have to read the other reviews. I have not experienced any. Possibly the shoe is not as stiff as others out there, this does not bother me.

I guess I am the lucky one out of all of these reviewers !! Can't even whinge about the price because everything is expensive in this part of the woods. I read a lot of reviews where guys complain about price. Try paying U$ 50 for one Panaracer tire!!

These shoes work great and I will be sad to see them go when they eventually die. Should have bought two pairs. So I guess I will do the opposite to everyone else and give 5 c's all round!!

Similar Products Used: N/A
Shaun   Cross Country Rider [May 17, 2002]
Strength:

Light weight

The sizing is off, I wear 10.5 to 11 but had to order 10's. There very narrow in width and not comfortable at all.

Would not suggest to buy these shoes unless you have narrow feet!

Similar Products Used: Diadora red hot chilis, have had these shoes for 4 years and I love them.
Yasu   Cross Country Rider [May 29, 2002]
Strength:

Looks awesome, nice color, stiff sole, good sole pattern. Grips well.

too narrow, kinda heavy

The pair of Adidas I have for roadie is much more comfortable than these pair. They are too narrow and hurt my foot bones. They aren't designed for those who have wide and high feet like myself. Looks super cool, though! The price is a bit set too high for this quality, but they are worth paying if you have narrow and low feet who are looking for a cool looking Adidas shoes.

Similar Products Used: Adidas shoes for roadie
Rich   Cross Country Rider [Jun 25, 2002]
Strength:

Stiff sole, good tread

Brittle sole, toe spike threads, weak buckles. These are expensive shoes and are very fragile.

The first problem was that on a minor fall, my foot slid up against the wall of a gully and bent the buckle on one shoe, then a couple of rides later, one of the toe spikes (yes they were tight) came out damaging the threads, then a few rides later to top it off, I broke the sole on the left shoe while hiking up a steep hill after about one and a half months of ownership. Jenson took them back with no problems, so good on them. I checked the other shoe after getting back home and it was showing signs of bending and preparing to snap at the same point.