Ground Effect Manta Ray Jersey

Manta Ray

Sweating it out on a backcountry epic or zooming around the hills on a balmy summer evening. The Manta Ray delivers hot-weather cycling performance without requiring you to squeeze into a body-hugging mobile billboard. Intercool fabric wicks moisture away from your skin so you stay drier and don't lose your cool. Just the berries for those who ride hard but aren't into cramming their worldly possessions into the back pockets.

Josh Pitts   Weekend Warrior [Apr 08, 2004]
Strength:

Wicks sweat great, never leaves me feeling wet, not too thin that I cant wear it in the fall. Looks great, fits me much better than typical shiny bike jerseys, which is an issue for me at 6'2" and 230 lbs.

Does not have any shiny bits for nite riding, but thats about it. The tire patch sounds like a good idea, but after a few washes I wonder if it will actually work if I need it.

If you are looking for a jersey that works better than anything, and does not make you look like Lance or Cippo, this is the one for you. I have successfully worn mine into bars after a nice ride, and not gotten any funny looks from anybody. This was my entry into Ground Effect, and I now have a whole line up of their gear. Its the best you can buy, and the company is great. I consistently get my gear in 5-7 days all the way from NZ.

Similar Products Used: Various jerseys from my road riding buddies.
Julian   Weekend Warrior [Mar 06, 2003]
Strength:

Fabric feels great, perfect summer weight, good wicking. Nice long zip, stand up collar, quiet colours (!)

None really, although I can't see why you need a zipped back pocket when the fabric is so light- what could you put in there?!

Ace summer top from a very professional online vendor. I ordered from the UK and they deducted 17.5% in case I got stung for VAT in the UK. Nice! Compared to Pearl Izumi et al the finishing details are not 100% (quality of zips used, sewn-on logo) but overall the Manta Ray is very well made and good value. Next purchase likely to be their Flash Gordon jacket...

Similar Products Used: Helly Hansen, Lowe Alpine, Pearl Izumi
Leon Barmuta   Weekend Warrior [May 14, 2001]
Strength:

Excellent value for money; loose enough for warm weather comfort; good wicking qualities of the fabric.

None, although the sewn-in emergency tube patch suffers after a few washes. Neat gimmick though.

Really good value for money. Choose if, in their words, you don't want to look like you're wearing a mobile, skin-tight billboard. Avoid if you really do want to be mistaken for Cippo, Lance or Pantani. The proprietary Intercool fabric has open weave cotton on the outside and a non-stinky synthetic next to the skin. A week of training rides and this shirt still smells ten times nicer than most synthetics I've had the misfortune to wear. The only downside to Ground Effect gear is that the rest of the stuff they make is so good, I'm beginning to look like a mobile advertisement for them.

Similar Products Used: Any number of nasty polypropylene threads.
James Mcloughen   weekend warrior [Feb 20, 1999]

I just ordered this jersey from, of all places, New Zealand! It's amazingly comfortable and cheap. The intercool fabrics just wick sweat away from the body. It's amazing! Unlike many cycling clothes, 'ground effect' aren't shiny or overly bright. The service was good, I ordered online.

jerry   Cross Country Rider [Nov 27, 2003]
Strength:

roomy fit, long front zip vent, Wicking ability, non elasticated waist

none worth mentioning

light weight and comfortable. Does exactly what Ground Effect promise. Good looking colour combinations. Great for summer use. Also very handy as a layer garment in winter. I was sufficiently impressed that I immediately ordered another one. Have also recently ordered a Storm Trooper jacket and a windproof fleece jersey to suplement the Manta Rays