Pearl Izumi Vagabond Jacket Jackets

This wind and water-resistant shell converts to a vest, making it a versatile piece for cycling, running, hiking or backpacking.. Soft, supple Zephrr 2® delivers protection from the elements while remaining quiet, breathable and comfortable. Zip-off sleeves for venting or conversion to a vest; zippered back pocket folds out to create a stuff sack for the removed sleeves. Full-length zipper with draft flap provides ventilation control; vented back with hydrophobic mesh panel offers added breathability. Zippered front pockets for convenience; elastic drawcord waist with pocket barrel-lock adjustable closure. Microfleece collar for soft comfort and warmth; adjustable drawcord gives increased protection from the elements.

scottro   Cross Country Rider [Feb 07, 2009]
Strength:

Durability, versatility (unzips to vest), safety (fluorescent yellow color)

Cut a bit large for me, but just a bit.

I got this for both running and biking. I tried a Vagabond (Vagabond II) at store and thought it was a bit tight and very thin. This one I got - 2006 model, is a beefier fabric and is a fuller cut. I understand the comments about flapping in the wind. I'll actually use this more for running than biking so that'll be less of a concern for me. Jacket appears to have the normal greate quality that I've come to expect from Pearl Izumi.

Tim   Racer [Dec 30, 2001]
Strength:

Very cool looking. Elastic drawstring at waistband and collar. Sleeves are cut long so they fit well in riding position. Jacket is uninsulated so it works anywhere from 55 F to 20 F (with extra layers underneath).

Anytime I went over 15 mph on my bike the sleeves started flapping in the breeze. Over 25 mph it was really annoying. If you have short arms the sleeves will be too long for you.

Looks great, breathes well, great for running. If you don't mind sleeves that flap in the wind, buy it. Otherwise, get something else. Since Pearl Izumi is primarily a cycling company I expected more.

Similar Products Used: Hind cycling jacket from 1994, don't know the model.
Terry Kennedy   [Mar 23, 2004]
Strength:

Good look, lightweight, removeable sleeves, zippered pockets

The jacket sleeves do flap in the wind, but I bought it that way so to have plenty of room for turtle necks, etc. in colder weather. The price is a bit high, but you pay for quality.

It's a good jacket. Mine s black and gold and it looks and feels great with a black turtle neck. I'd recommend it. I'll use it for hiking too.

Chuck   Cross Country Rider [Oct 10, 2002]
Strength:

Lightweight, breathable, keeps me warm, removeable sleeves

Price

Keeps me warm while letting me skin breath. I like that if I get warm enough, I can just easily remove the sleeves and I instantly have a vest. I use Pearl Izumi arm warmers underneath the jacket if the weather is too cold for me. With that setup, I'm comfortably warm without overheating.