Patagonia Zephyr Jackets

Patagonia Zephyr

Aaron Heilbrun   Racer [Dec 06, 2000]
Strength:

Extremely versatile.
High quality.
Superior breathability.
Dries quickly.
Excellent ventilation.
Windproof.

Not the cheapest.

Outstanding. One of the most versatile transition pieces on the market no matter whether you ride, run, climb, walk or saunter. It delivers protection from the wind while still permiting a high degree of breathability so that you don't sweat it out. The new design has large pockets for ventilation and a subtle reflection trim which is like Iluminite technology so no glaring yellow patches.
Highly recommended once the temp drops below the sixties. It's so light and compressable that you have no reason not to take it, but every reason to be glad you did if the weather changes unexpectedly.

Similar Products Used: Nothing this good.
Dave   Cross Country Rider [Nov 01, 2000]
Strength:

Light weight, warmth, good detailing, high visibility non-deer color, more ventilation options w/ new model.

I wanted to add a review to mention that Patagonia's updated version of this jacket is slightly less expensive than before but has an important addition - handwarmer pocket openings that double as waist-to-pit ventilation zips. This has got to be the warmest jacket pound for pound I have ever worn, but you can open it up while riding to keep from overheating. I'm between sizes, and went up with this jacket to allow room for another layer of fleece when winter really sets in.

There are plenty of good details like a strip of heavy cloth tape behind the zipper to reduce wind leakage and prevent zipper snags. The orange version I got is pretty visible without being obnoxious like neon yellow jackets. I've found Patagonia to be high value clothing over the years. More $ than some of the alternatives, but more of a bargain since they get worn more often - being more versatile and well made. By any measure, I would judge the Zephyr to be a good value.

Similar Products Used: Old GoreTex shell w/ separate insulation layers.
Forsythe John   Racer [Mar 23, 2000]
Strength:

Lightweight, warm, breathable, totally windproof, water-resistant

Expensive, too warm, sleeves slightly too short

It is an excellent jacket, just a bit too warm for intense / fast rides unless it is freezing.

Ideal for slower rides / moderate off road, and will do the job every day except downpour days.

Similar Products Used: Various Pertex, Breathe, Fleece
Karen (London)   Racer [Jul 18, 2001]
Strength:

I have the older lining-free Patagonia Zephyr. Definitely keeps water out, Patagonia told me it was only showerproof but if riding for 30 minutes in rain so big that city drains overflow within 10 minutes, and still not getting wet after half an hour is only "showerproof", I'll settle for that. Nice high neck and securely closing wrists, keep water out. Zip does not let water in. Wind is totall unfeel-able in it. It folds up to NOTHING, weighs nothing and I am never travelling anywhere even without the bike, unless this jacket goes too.

Still not really breathable although better than most, I suspect. It had more moisture inside the jacket (although it dropped out the bottom immediately), than outside from where no water ever got in. A second ventilation zip could also have helped. Suspect the Pearl Izumi Zephyr may be better as it has some fleece, I believe inside the neck, I think the newer Patagonia Zephyr may also be better as it has light fleece inside and this seems to "hold" moisture inside away from the skin whilst waiting for the outer layer to vent it, but definitely too hot for summer.

You can trust Patagonia. I don't think you would ever get a bad product from there.

Similar Products Used: Cheaper ones, forget them. Suspect either Pearl Izumi or Patagonia, maybe Rei or other Gore or Paclite, maybe Castelli, could be the only ones to breathe as well as doing the job.
MRP   Cross-Country Rider [Dec 01, 1999]
Strength:

Performs flawlessly, nicely detailed and great fit; patagonia warranty

price is prohibitive to some

Patagonia stuff first comes off as high priced poser-gear, but, as with most things, you get what you pay for. When I wanted to upgrade from tees and sweats to nice foul weather gear, I started looking at Gore-tex and other similar stuff. I read about this coat as alternative (and less $) to Gore. I found it at the Pat. outlet for less than retail and figured I'd give it a shot. Any expectations I had were exceeded. This thing is awesome. It is far warmer than it looks like it could possibly be(It weighs almost nothing), and it feels like you don't have a coat on. It's totally wind proof, sheds water, dries fast and bleeds moisture. They have an unlined version for warmer weather that I am considering getting.Bite the bullet, and once the sting of letting the cash go is over, you will never look back.

Similar Products Used: fleece vest, sweatshirts, etc.
James   Cross Country Rider [Dec 23, 2002]
Strength:

Lightweight I agree with one of the other reviews here you don't feel it on, great cut/shape (has a drop tail), highly waterproof (even though it does not claim to be), totally breathable and looks really smart even off the bike.

None at all

What can I say I have been totaly impressed with this jacket. about the 3rd time I used it I was out in a rain down pour which lasted 3 hours and when I got home I was bone dry underneath! I could not belive it Patagonia do not claim this jacket to be waterproof but my god it is. My so called claimed waterproof trousers and shoes leacked in water but this jacket did'nt. I have never brought a Patagonia clothing before and if this is anything to go by I shall be purchasing other Patagonia stuff. By the way this is a alautum/winter jacket even though it does not look like one it is. I have never overheated in it even with agressive riding. Everything you would want from a jacket. Well done Patagonia keep up the good work! 10/10