Ground Effect Flash Gordon Jackets

Flash Gordon

Interstellar protection for storming the wide open spaces or darting through rush hour traffic. Gordon repels light rain, blocks out nasty winds ... and is hugely breathable with its under-arm vents, full length front zip and HydroFoil Sprint fabric.

Phil Dodd   Weekend Warrior [Dec 12, 2001]
Strength:

Cheaper than similar products (like the Mountain Designs jackets), does what it's supposed to, great company, folds into its own bum bag.

Umm, not completely waterproof, but there's always gonna be a water resistance/breathability/weight trade off, isn't there. They make a heavier version called the Storm Trooper if that's your thing.

Ground effect rock! I saw this product on line, and was a little bit dubious until I read the reviews on this page, and compared similar products in shops here. Delivery was very prompt (like 3 days or something).

I'm completely happy with this product - it fits well, is light and breathable enough to wear it when the weather isn't too cold, but there's a chance of rain. The pit zips help, too.

I got the orange one, which turned out to be brighter than what it looked like on the web page. My monitor is pretty well color calibrated, so I blame that on their web dude. It's not too full on, though. I can still wear it off the bike without looking like a complete idiot - it makes a welcome change to those yellow Netti jackets everyone else in Melbourne wears.

On the web site it recommends this jacket if you're not planning on riding in heavy rain all day (who is?), they've got a heavier version with taped seams, storm flaps etc, or a lighter shower jacket kinda thingy, so it's just a matter of choosing what's right for you. I chose the Flash Gordon 'cos I'm a MOR kinda guy, I guess, and I have yet to encounter conditions wet enough to beat it.

If you're looking for cycle clothing, do yourself a favour and check out the ground effect web site, the gear is really sweet if you want performance oriented clothing that won't break the bank and won't leave you looking like a mobile billboard. I've just ordered some shorts and a top for Christmas - yay!

Similar Products Used: Plastic $2 jacket I bought in Laos.
Loafer   Weekend Warrior [Feb 22, 2001]
Strength:

Cheap in comparison to other similar jackets.
Excellent performance; wind proof, breathable, shower proof.
Fits well, good zips, snug cuffs/neck, fits into its own carry bag.

None.

This jacket was my first 'proper cycling jacket' and it has been well worth it. In comparison to other jackets it is cheap.

I bought the blue one (rather than the orange) so that I could wear it at the end of a journey, off the bike, without fear of ridicule. It actually looks quite cool.

As for performance it is great, wind and rain doesn't bother me. The snug fleece neck and cuffs are welcome when its frosty. The pit zips are easy to use when the weather is milder and the climbs longer.

I would recommend this jacket for any cyclist who has to brave the elements. One word of warning though, the sizing is generous.

Ordering over the 'net from the other side of the world did concern me but the parcel arrived exactly 7 days after I placed the order. I have several Ground Effect items and they are all excellent, well worth a look.

Andrew   Weekend Warrior [Aug 06, 2000]
Strength:

Very light weight, good ventilation, fold into it's own bumbag, orange colour makes a change from the usual dayglo yellow.

None really, taped seams would make it more waterproof but if it's that wet then go home. A waist drawcord would be nice.

Does what Groundeffect says it will. Fits well, not too baggy. Keeps the rain off for long enough. Good price & good stuff. Service is good too.

Similar Products Used: A Karrimor pertex shell top.
Matt   Cross-Country Rider [May 05, 1999]
Strength:

Really breathable jacket (gore activent), has underarm zip vents, dove tail stops your arse getting wet, folds into a small bum bag.

Not completely water proof (seams aren't sealed), but has to be really heavy rain for water to seap through.

Great jacket, really well made and cheap for what it is.

Similar Products Used: Macpac jacket
colin sherman   Cross Country Rider [Apr 28, 2003]
Strength:

best thing i love about this product is you can fold it down to a bum bag for coveinent carrying

i dont know if there is one really i mean if it really pours down ya gonna get wet i suppose the best way to avoid that is to buy the next model up in the range

quite simply a damn god product in not to heavy rain and value for money is second to none

Similar Products Used: none
Ken Weisenbach   [Jan 07, 2003]
Strength:

This was the first (and only) riding jacket I've bought and with the way it feels/works it's likley to be the only jacket I buy. No rain or wind gets in and it's durable as hell. One word describes it - Awesome!

Haven't found any yet.

Would recommend this jacket to anyone who rides in cool and damp climates (can you say Seattle?) and wants to layer for comfort.

Geoff King   Weekend Warrior [Apr 26, 2002]
Strength:

Good value for money, visible, functional

None so far - though on really wet rides I've wondered if a hood and some seam sealing would be in order (thought Ground Effect makes the Storm Trooper for that)

Ground Effect is a great company to deal with, providing excellent service (next day delivery in NZ) of a fine range of well-priced products (no, I'm not an employee, just a very satisfied customer.)
The Flash Gordon is a relatively low-cost windproof, water-resistant jacket that does what its advertising claims. The orange one shows up really well, too - a bonus for those midwinter rides. Full marks for value and quality.