Uvex XP 100 Helmet

The IAS system is adjustable from 55-60cm. Features a monomatic closure, 16 ventilation openings and Bee Stop mesh in the forward vents.

guyute42   Weekend Warrior [Jun 03, 2013]
Strength:

super light, well ventilated, made in Germany, very customizable, stylish

the netting they put in the front vents to keep bugs out looks silly

This helmet has exceed my exceptions, when I first picked up the box it was in I thought there wasn't anything in there because it is so light. It can fit practically any head size with more customization than any other helmet I've ever used before. The visor is perfectly positioned so that it doesn't block the field of vision. The chin strap has this wonderful soft piece of fabric on it that feels so luxurious against your skin and eliminates any skin irritation that might arise. I've used it in some hot and humid weather and it has helped keep my head cool. The padding does a good job about soaking up the sweat on the forehead so you won't have to worry about getting sweat in your eyes. One of my favorite parts about this helmet is that it is made in Germany, most other helmets are made in China.

Noclutch   Cross Country Rider [Nov 02, 2012]
Strength:

Comfortable! Bug screened front vents. Easy to adjust fit. Easy to buckle strap.
Doesn't look like a geek roadie helmet.

a little hard to find

This helmet fit my noggin perfectly. Just ordered my second one without looking further (one will be my designated lighted headgear)

GT_guy   Weekend Warrior [Jun 08, 2012]
Strength:

Light weight, adjustability, vents, overall construction.
No "duck tail" in back.

I haven't bought a new helmet in awhile and once I started shopping I was disappointed by what I was finding from Giro (my past favorite) and Bell (note: they are now both part of the same company, so no surprise I guess...).

I was looking for a little better back coverage without getting a skate helmet.

I read some reviews on the UVEX and so I started looking for them online. The fact that you can get these for under $40 makes them the absolute best helmet deal out there!

The fit is great, it has real pads in it. The adjustment system adjusts in very small steps, so dialing in a fit (no pun intended) should be no problem for anyone. It is incredibly light as others have said.

There are plenty of vents and the front vents have a mesh in them to keep bugs from getting inside the helmet as you ride. This is a great feature and I don't know why (well actually I do - $) more helmets don't have this feature.

Another nice detail/feature is the padded cover on the chinstrap that keeps the excess strap material from flapping around and rubbing on your neck. This is a feature most snow helmets seem to have, and since Uvex has been making snow helmets for years, has brought it over to cycling helmets as well.

The graphics are not flashy, a bit understated perhaps. I got the white/black/silver graphics which would look good with almost any bike color if that matters to you. Personally I just think white helmets are cooler in summer sun.

Overall, a well-fitting, classic looking helmet that is very lightweight and is obviously built with German attention to design and engineering. It certainly stacks up favorably with other $100 helmets, so the fact that these can be had for less than half that means you should definitely give one a try. I'm going to order another as a spare because the price won't stay that low once the word is out.

Similar Products Used: Helmets from Giro and Bell
Mtnbkr29r   Cross Country Rider [Jan 31, 2012]
Strength:

Lightweight, awesome fit, feel comfortable on head and plenty of ventilation. Has survived a few small hits without scratch.

Chinstrap has a lot going on and can irritate me.

I won this helmet from Uvex and I haven't wore my Giro since. It is a great helmet, you wont be disappointed.

Similar Products Used: Giro Zen
Don   Cross Country Rider [Jan 26, 2012]
Strength:

Quality materials, LIGHT! Adjustablility. Price.

This helmet is sweet. Made in Germany with excellent materials. Really is light! Just set it and forget it. Did I mention it was light?

This helmet is a great value even if you pay full retail. I liked it so much, I bought a second one.

Similar Products Used: High end Giro, Bell, Specialized helmets
Mojo Troll   Cross Country Rider [May 15, 2011]
Strength:

well made

Visor doesnt adjust.

This is a nice helmet. I normally don't buy helmets without test fitting them first. Seen these on Price Point for $40 bucks and couldnt pass it up.

It has many adjustments. The head lock system on the rear is nice. Several vents that breath well. The hornet screen in the front is a nice touch. Light weight. You dont really notice it when your riding. Which is what you want in a helmet.

The only thing that concerns me is that there is alot of air space between the helmet and back of skull. Enough room to slide your fingers between. Guess thats what happens with a one size fits all adjustment system. In the future it would be nice to see Uvex make a S
The quality of this hemlet is excellent. Germany always seems to raise the bar in quality and performance. Very well made.

Seeing how I get a new helmet ever four years or so. This one will more than likely not be made anymore. However, I would recommend it to others if you find it on sale. It's hard to pass up a $100 helmet for 40 bucks. I just wish they made them more size specific to close some of the gap between the helmet and your head in the rear.

Subtracted a flaming turd due to the gap between head and helmet in rear.

Similar Products Used: bell, giro
NuMexJoe   Weekend Warrior [May 13, 2011]
Strength:

Price, design, construction quality

None that I've noticed.

I'm not one to blow $150 on a helmet, when the same level of protection and comfort can be had for a lower price point, so I can't compare the Uvex to the latest from Fox, Bell, etc. But I will say that I've been pleased in every way with this one. Fits great on my size 7.5 head, the ratchet mech. is foolproof and easy to use, and it's remarkable light for the amount of coverage it affords. Liked it so much that I bought a second the next time they started showing up on Chainlove, as well as a matte white one for my wife (who also was quite pleased with it). Might only give it 3 or 4 chiles for value if I had to pay full price, but on closeout, it's a great deal.

Similar Products Used: Any number of inexpensive helmets.
clouder   Weekend Warrior [Mar 12, 2011]
Strength:

put it on and totally forget about it until its time to take it off. it's that good!!

although advertised to suit 55-60cm heads, my size is 61cm and it fits very comfortably. from the maximum slack, i dialed in about 7-8 clicks for the helmet to fit snug.

In the hot and humid Malaysian weather (31'C right now with sun blazing at 10am), sweat like crazy but never had any of them running down my forehead into my eyes.

it vents really well and very light in weight. the straps are easily adjustable (one time thingy before riding)and did not interfere with my glasses at all during the whole ride.

got this great deal from jensonUSA and i do highly recommend it.

silentG   Weekend Warrior [Dec 19, 2010]
Strength:

Lightweight, breathable, comfortable, easily adjustable

A bit hard to find

I wanted something lighter and cooler (temp wise) than my Bell Faction helmet this spring.

I did quite a bit of research and something about this helmet really clicked with me.

The initial setup/adjustment for this helmet in terms of fit was really easy. I have to say that I really don't notice that I'm wearing this helmet when I'm riding which is a good thing.

This helmet has been very durable and I would say that at this point I wouldn't consider using another helmet.

Magura USA is the distributor for Uvex in the US and you can contact them for replacement parts like the visor, etc.

The bottom line for me is that this is a no-BS helmet from a no-BS company.