Troy Lee Designs A1 Helmet

After five years in development, the Troy Lee Designs A1 Helmet has been revealed. TLD's timing is perfect, as enduro racing gains traction in the U.S., the A1 will be the lid to rock this summer.

Los Marauder   Weekend Warrior [Aug 05, 2017]
Strength:

Comfortable, safe, nice long visor to block evening sun, plays ok with my glasses. Looks great.

Expensive

I have brain damage from boxing, and my neurologist insisted I get a helmet that covered as much as possible. A full face was out of the question, as I ride in town a lot and need the peripheral vision. This fit the bill. I got it, one of my kids put it on, and never took it off. Got another, same problem other kid. Finaly got to keep one (silver flake version - looks amazing) and I will have a hard time parting with it. I know kali has the dual foam now, 2017, and has about as much coverage so will have to try one, but dam is it gonna be hard letting this lid leave my head.

Similar Products Used: First good helmet I have ever had.
crfnick56   All Mountain Rider [Oct 01, 2016]
Strength:

Good looks, Lightweight, Ventilation is great

Liner is held in place by very small Velcro tabs that when removed can come off the helmet.

I love this helmet and only have one complaint which I will get to later. Overall this has been a great helmet and I would buy again for sure. Its the most comfortable I have tried to date and ventilation is great. Thankfully I have not had to test its durability to any extreme measures but I'm sure its fine in that department as well.

Now for my complaint. The liner is removable which was a plus to me so you can take it out and wash it now and then. I race motocross also and those helmets can get pretty gross inside so taking them out to wash is a big deal. Most motocross and full face helmets have snaps holding the liner in place so I was expecting something similar here. The liner however is only held in place by a handful of SMALL Velcro tabs which just have an adhesive backing holding it to the inside of the helmet shell. First time removing the liner about 5 or 6 of those small Velcro tabs came off with the liner leaving no way to attach the liner. I fixed this by putting a small dab of glue on the back of the tabs so its not a huge deal but thought it was worth mentioning anyway.

monkies   All Mountain Rider [May 12, 2015]
Strength:

Super comfy. I mean it is shocking how comfy it is.

I can't fault anything on this lid

I've used a bunch of Giro helmets, and always thought they were great. I didn't know any better. I tried the Urge helmet and returned it because it was moving all around my head (I'm guessing it was the strap system). I found this TLD on sale, and thought why not...the best helmet ever.

The first thing I noticed was how it doesn't move at all on my head. Not a bit. It's like someone strapped a pillow on your head. The adjustments really work to tighten it on your head, and the padding is super soft and comfy. The Giro xen this is replacing wasn't even close to the fit of this lid. Plus the wrap around behind the neck is a good feeling, even though people say it may be overkill....I don't really care because where it is protecting, it's doing with style and comfort.

The size of the helmet is not as insane as people say. It looks good, it doesn't look over the top compared to anything else I've owned. I will be buying this if it ever gets busted up again. The most perfect helmet I have ever used. It's a bit pricey, but I got it on sale for about $80 in the drone red (I found the brighter colors too bike helmet looking anyway).

Similar Products Used: Giro Xen, Urge.
Kerry   All Mountain Rider [May 10, 2015]
Strength:

The best fitting helmet I've ever put on.

The paint on my visor has chipped off in many places due to one incident. It wasn't a crash but it did take a hit. I'm contacting TLD to see if maybe the visor wasn't prepped right before paint. Seems odd that the paint is chipping the way it is.

I absolutely love this helmet. I have the red Drone and the colour is awesome. But, more importantly, this helmet is so damn comfy and easy to adjust. Just awesome (except the visor problemo).

Similar Products Used: Fox Flux, Bell Super, Bell .....
dgw7000   [May 21, 2014]
Strength:

Just the best mtb helmet you can buy, attention to detail, great finish, great design!! Fits better than any other helmet I have had. Vents work great and is very light on my head, also your head goes all the way in and not just on top of your head. The visor has real alloy nuts to hold in place, did I tell you it's the perfect helmet. It really is !! Love it!!

Not cheep, but well worth the price. You get what you pay for.

Just get one, they come in so many colors.

motomech   [Jan 31, 2014]
Strength:

The first thing that I noticed was the fit.
Very comfortable in fact I would say the most comfortable helmet I have ever used.

Not in to flashy color schemes ie old dude.
Personal preference would be a helmet in all white

I know the price may put some off but if you are looking for a helmet that you can wear on long rides you have to try one of these.
The internal padding is very complex and well thought out.
This helmet fits so well that if it was stolen tomorrow I would buy the exact same one again.

Similar Products Used: Giro
Bondrager
POC
Johnny RC   All Mountain Rider [Apr 20, 2013]
Strength:

Most comfortable helmet I've ever worn. Good straps and fit system. Easy to adjust. Extremely light.

Outer shell is too soft. I don't think the helmet will have long term durability.

Tried on lots of helmets, wore a Protec Cyphon for the last 3 years, and the A1 has put all others in the all mountain category to shame. The internal pad/suspension system feels like a cloud. The visor works well, does not impede vision. I wore the A1 for 2 solid days of riding in Moab, and on one occasion bounced my head off of a low hanging branch, which punctured the outer shell! I have hit my head much harder w the Cyphon, with no similar effect. The helmet is still viable, but this makes me think it won't last too long. I think the outer covering is thin to save weight, but I would certainly take another 5oz to get a tougher covering. Otherwise I Really like the helmet, but when this one wears out I will probably buy something else. $165 for a helmet, I want it to be durable.