Specialized Tactic Helmet

Specialized Tactic Helmet

All-Mountain riding demands a helmet that's light, cool, and inspires confidence. The Tactic II delivers with large, optimized vents, extended rear coverage, and in-molded construction that maximizes strength and keeps weight to a minimum.

[Jun 30, 2015]
zance789

Strength:

fit, coverage, ease and simplicity of adjustability

This helmet has proven to be excellent for me. As soon as I put it on in the shop I could tell that it fit my head well and was comfortable. I am surprised that it is not more expensive. I was initially concerned that the plastic Tri-Fix chin strap web splitters would be annoying but have realized that they are nicer than the chin strap adjusters on many other helmets because they don't move and keep the straps farther away from my ears to prevent chafing. These features become especially important when the straps become soaked with sweat. The Headset SL fit system has a dial that is easy to use even with gloves and allows the helmet to wrap around my head. The front liner pad is one piece and is wider and thinner than many other helmet liners so it doesn't cause pressure points. The back of the helmet doesn't extend down the neck as far as some other helmets but seems to extend outward more than other helmets. This allows me to wear sunglasses without them interfering with the shell. I highly recommend this helmet.

Giro Havoc; Cannondale Ryker; Giro Hex

[Jan 27, 2014]
bikebum
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Fit, airflow, weight, styling, color, price.

I must have long dumbo earlobes or something, but since the ear straps are not adjustable, my apparently overly long earlobes are in constant contact with the bottom of the strap. In addition, my cheap sony earbuds constantly fall out due to rubbing on the ear strap. I do not recall this happening before. I have tried multiple angles and they always fall out.

Was wearing the helmet yesterday when I learned a very valuable lesson. Do not DJ in high gusty winds. Was riding the DJ in very gusty winds at the bike park, tried to clear the second table, and was pushed sideways enough to land crooked. Went down hard on my head, and cracked the helmet (along with the entire left side of my body).

Did not have any serious wrecks with this helmet on the mtn bike, but use it very regularly for this purpose. I did not try to attach a night light to this helmet either.

Old Bell, 661

[Oct 20, 2012]
Lisa
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Light weight; good looks; great fit for smaller head; secure feel; moderate price.

The adjustable cage that keeps the helmet secure looks a little flimsy, even though it works well.

I've been trying on helmets for a year looking for a replacement for my 6-year-old Giro Hex, but couldn't find one as light or comfortable until the Tactic. At first, I found the whale shark look a little off-putting, but it's great to have that air flow under the visor and my friends tell me it looks cool. Despite the flimsy feel of the adjustable plastic head cage, this helmet is super-easy to custom-fit and can be tightened or loosened on the fly with one hand. The visor actually shades my eyes, and I can wear this helmet all day without feeling the need to take it off. The Tactic seems narrower that other helmets, including my old Giro, so it fits my small head extremely well, and I haven't found that I've needed to add any of the additional interior padding that comes in the box. For $70 retail, I think it's a great value.

Giro Hex

[Sep 18, 2012]
Mike

Strength:

Very lightweight, GREAT airflow. Protects the back of the head better than most.

Lack of color choices if you consider that a weakness.

Just had a nasty spill yesterday (broken collar bone, dislocated ankle, misc. cuts/scrapes/bruises. During all this the left side of my head hit the side of a rock at about 10mph. Tore up the helmet pretty good, but it wasn't until I had looked over the rest of my injuries that I even noticed. This helmet will get hung on the wall, and I will be ordering another shortly

None, I've never been much into helmets, but my grandmother insisted I ware one

[Jun 26, 2012]
xDirtbagx
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Fairly lightweight. Plenty of airflow. Double clutch fit system is pretty nifty

Re-adjusting fit when putting helmet back on can get annoying.

Lightweight. offers a bit more rear protection than many other helmets. The "Double clutch" system makes re-adjusting your fit a breeze. (you'll get practice.) The helmet does tend to auto loosen itself from time to time. It's just a minor inconvenience though because it takes less than half a second to readjust it.
It is a very comfortable helmet. Going all day without feeling the need to take it off is a great thing. You just kind of forget you're wearing it.
Overall it's a great helmet at a great price!

[Jun 10, 2011]
roadracerX

Strength:

Good coverage and ventilation.

None so far.

For the price I am happy with it. Slightly less comfortable than my old Align but the added protection is worth the trade off. I can still wear this thing all day with no problems. I don't sweat a great deal but so far the forehead padding is stopping everything that I can feel running down towards my eyes.

Specialized Align

[Apr 17, 2011]
pcbconstruction

Strength:

Fits great, good ventilation, never loosens up no matter how long the ride, easy to adjust, and fairly light.

Soft felt lining seems to be coming off a little, but nothing superglue won't fix.

Good looking helmet that works and won't break the bank.

Giro

[Jun 15, 2010]
PVR

Strength:

Good ventilation, good protection for the back of the head, nice retention system, fairly light.

pricy (but not as much as Fox or Giro)

A good helmet for trail riding. Substantial but not bulky and with good protection for the back of the head. Very good ventilation system.

various Louis Garneau, Trek

[Mar 26, 2010]
XLNC

Strength:

Lots of Ventilation. Lots of fitting adjustments/Good snug fit. Lightweight.

Strange yet limited colour combos (I got the "matte silver" colour), Sorta pricey - but I'm cheap.

I shivered when I read the price but read above in the "weaknesses". Forgot all about the price when the salesman adjusted the helmet for me and it so gently caressed my gourd. O.K. layman's terms - It's grips your head quite snug, but you hardly even know it's on your head (I'll be honest, after I had it for a day I spazzed around like I had a seizure and the helmet barely moved a millimeter!). And when I finally got around to putting my bike in the wind, the many vents provided A TON of air flow. Very happy with it so far, but then again it's not humid hot summer yet either.

Nothing recently (Bell helmet back in the 90s)