Specialized 04 S1 Helmet Helmet

04 S1 Helmet

The S1 takes helmet technology to a new level. Thanks to our work with pro level road riders in events such as the Tour de France and our world class mountain bike team, the S-1 is lighter, sleeker and better ventilated than any helmet we''ve ever made!

Chris   Weekend Warrior [Mar 04, 2004]
Strength:

Weight, design, very cool, fit (at least on my head)

stickers were placed very careless and not fully attached to the helmet, but I don't care for stuff like that

I was looking for a light weight helmet for the summer that really fits my head. The Giro E2 was my first choice but I couldn't make it fit right and ended up returning it.
When I received the S1 and put it on my head it was a perfect fit right out of the box. I know that this is a very personal thing, but it is the most comfortable helmet I ever put on my bald head. The BrainVert2 secures the helmet very good on your head without being uncomfortable.
I seems that Specialized improved the padding in the front of the helmet too. The one that I saw at the LBS had a two part front padding that left an inch or so open in the middle of your forehead. The new padding covers the whole front of the helmet, which I believe does a much better job of keeping sweat out of your eyes.

Bottom line: perfect helmet for me.

Similar Products Used: Giro E2, Giro Torrent
Tyler   Cross Country Rider [Apr 17, 2004]
Strength:

Awesome airflow, excellent fit, great looks, nice fit.

A great helmet with great airflow and breathing. Specialized's self-fitting technology, Brain trust 2, does a great job of fitting the helmet. Also, the styling on this helmet sets it apart from the rest, making it look, somewhow...specialized. (crickets churping and no laughs)

Similar Products Used: Specialized Airwave
Paul   Weekend Warrior [Mar 29, 2004]
Strength:

Light weight, ventilation, fit, appearance.

Padding could be a little more plush.

Very nice helmet. The air scoop at the forehead that pulls the draft in works great. The air flow is fantastic and really exhausts the heat.The pads seem a bit thin. They throw in a few extra pads which are basically useless for tweaking the fit. What would have been nice would have been some pads of varying densities/thickness.The visor attachment works well as does the rear skull adjustment. All in all, a very good product for the dollars spent.
I rate this 5 chilis for value but it loses 1 chili in the overall division due to the pad situation. I will end up at the LBS to pick some decent ones up.