Smith Forefront Helmet

Forefront

The all-new FOREFRONT defines Smith’s innovation platform and serves as the ‘go to’ helmet for all-mountain riders. Created to provide all-mountain protection with road-race weight, the Aerocore™ construction of the FOREFRONT allows riders ventilated protection as never before seen in a bicycle helmet.

Daniel   Cross Country Rider [Sep 15, 2015]
Strength:

Good looks, good ventilation, comfortable fit, light weight

Fatal flaw in Koroyd design

I really wanted to like this helmet. I did. I really like Smith's products and normally find them to be top notch. The quality of construction is great, the styling is good and the designs make sense. Until Koroyd. I fell into the marketing trap of "30% greater impact resistance" or whatever they say. But the problem is, those hard plastic "straws" will eat you up if you actually use the helmet. Less than a week after buying this helmet I had a full on Superman off and my head hit the dirt almost square on the front of the helmet. Those nice little Koroyd "straws" may have some flex and give in most directions, except perpendicular to their plane. Think about it like this... hold a bunch of straws in your hand. You can squish them laterally but if you press down on the stack, they are VERY stiff. Same with Koroyd. When this nice, hard, sharp-edged material hit my forehead it shredded my skin. I have a large area of my forehead that is rashed like my head had hit the ground itself. Chunks of skin remain inside those little straws. There is no liner in the helmet; nothing to separate your noggin from that plastic except some very thin, very minimal padding. Bald guys... take warning!

Until Smith and Koroyd can redesign this material I'm going back to a normal EVA Enduro helmet.

Spokes572   Cross Country Rider [Jun 17, 2015]
Strength:

Best fitting helmet ever purchased, Extremely light, Very Good Looks, Looks expensive.
Shape - does not protrude out the back with a weird pointy shape - like my road helmets
Visor is easily tilt able!
Advance protection technology

Ventilation possibly. Can never feel air flow! But actually does not seem any hotter than my current helmet

Decided to get this helmet to replace my Mavic Plasma Road Helmet that looks so weird on me but vents ok. Plasma when on, i knew it was on my head. The Smith helmet, once on, you don't even realize that it is on anymore due to the fit is so comfortable and its so light. Its does not have the weird point coming out the back like my expensive road helmets, so to me the Smith helmet looks better and gives me the sense that if i fell on the back of my head the helmet would protect me and not rise up.

I have to admit, you will never feel air flow through this helmet. I even tilt my head down during a down hill to see if i can get the air to flow through the holes and never feel a thing. That said, i never feel hot in this helmet and compared to my other helmets its seems to have me sweat a lot less for some reason.

Worth the purchase due to the great fit, not knowing its on my head, looks great, extremely light wt, - the comfort and protection alone is reason to buy.

I did not purchase MIPs due to the extra cost and fact that i am only doing cross country and no crazy down hill stuff that might require the extra protection. I also assume and guessed that the MIPs would mean more stuff which meant to me more wt and more heat possibly.

This helmet is more than enough or my riding style and my wallet.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Plasma
SuperTrooper   [May 10, 2015]
Strength:

Fit is fantastic. Cooling is far better than any mountain helmet I have used to date, and I have been riding for 20+ years. Weight is super light.

None so far.

Tried this helmet at this years Sea Otter and was impressed. Smith Rep Mal Burd was very helpful and informative. Went to my LBS I got back home and bought one. Several rides later and I am even more impressed. The ventilation design of this Helmet really works. I currently have three other brand all mountain Helmets, and this Smith is far and away the best at cooling. If you ride where it's warm and you sweat, you need one... And for those who think it's too expensive, remember " ten dollar helmet,..."

Helmetless   Weekend Warrior [Sep 03, 2014]
Strength:

Outstanding helmet overall, with a remarkable attention to detail, cool features and great fit.

Not feeling quite much as "ENDURO" Helmet --coverage feels a bit lacking on this one, if compared to Bell Super, Giro Xen or Giro Feature.

I purchased this on ebay, got a 15 mile city ride in kinda cold weather condition, heavy shower and so forth. It held my head warm but I could tell the air intakes were doing its job pretty well. It is really, really light. But it doesn't cover as much as other helmets in the category. The feeling is similar to the Giro Xar that I am selling in the lbs I work at.

Despite few to no soft padding inside, I never felt it was uncomfortable, actually I prefer it this way, with the koroyd tubes right over the top of my head. It feels as comfy or more comfy than pretty much every other helmet I've tried (Bell Super, Met Kaos, Giro Xen, Giro Hex, Giro Xar, Giro Feature, POC Trabec).

Lightness comes at a price, however, and it is quite expensive. I get it when I take it out of the box, it looks like top notch helmet in every detail, even better than a POC helmet. But still expensive.

I don't know yet if protection is #1 attribute to this lid, but I am confident I would definitely choose it if getting in not-so-serious downhill.

Prettiest helmet I've had, the second lightest after the Met Kaos and one I would definitely recommend for XC/Trail use.

Gearchase   [Mar 12, 2014]
Strength:

Great design, coverage. Low profile. Read review first, as there wasn't a lot to go on. Most comperable the POC helmet. GearChase.com site was the most resourceful http://gearchase.com/blog/index.php/smithaerocorehelmetreviews/

The helmet did seem a bit ncomfortable, a little hard - the padding semmed a bit lacking. yet more padding would have made it more bulky.

A definite win. A truley enduro style helmet, yet lighter than any road helmet I have ever had.