SixSixOne Recon Helmet

SixSixOne Recon Helmet

Does the sight of roadies rocking ?aero? helmets on recreational rides make you cringe? Then you're a candidate for the Six Six One Recon XC Helmet. Less shave-one-tenth-of-a-second and more turn-the-trail-into-a-funplex, this brain bucket lets you rip with money in the safety bank.Moto-style extended rear coverageDetox fit system for quick adjustments and a secure fit18 Intake vents for a cool headRemovable visor

[Feb 28, 2018]
optimit

Strength:

Good protection by extending low in back, well ventilated, fits securely using the dial adjuster. Visor is sufficient for all but the right-at-sunset-riding-west moments.

Velcro pads don't stick very long -- 50 cents of after market velcro tape fixes that. Strap adjustment is fine, but takes a little time to dial in.

Price Paid:
$46 USD
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2017
[Jun 19, 2015]
Jr

Strength:

Well built, Light, forget it's on my head sometimes.

Pad on forehead holds sweat like a sponge

I have been using this helmet every time I ride (3x a week) for the last 2 years and love it.

It took about 2 rides to adjust the straps to my liking and have never looked back. Every time I take a fall the helmet stays where it's supposed to be keeping my head safe. So yea... it does its job. It's light enough to ride with all day, race ready, and ventilates well. I have never had that uncomfortable feeling of having something on your head while wearing this helmet.

This only thing is riding in South Florida where I'm from, it is hot almost year around. So yes there is going to be sweat on your head and a lot of it. The padding inside of the helmet is great and I don't feel it even when all sweaty. But... it's holds sweat like a sponge and after about 8 miles or an hour of riding the sweat begins to drip into your eyes and glasses. Its no big deal really... just a simple push of the helmet against your head squeezes out the sweat. You may need to do this repeatedly it you are on longer rides.

I did wear this helmet in Main while riding and did not have this problem. And its also going to be with me in September when I ride San Juan Huts/ Durango to Moab.

Highly Recommend this Lid

Grio Indicator

[Jun 06, 2014]
TucksMedicAided
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Works well with any and all glasses I have (also good with my smith goggles). Lightweight, comfy, easy to adjust. The straps have stayed where I adjusted them to on day one. Well vented.

Um... uh...

Great helmet, does what it should.

Giro, Bell, Specialized

[May 27, 2013]
Clint

Strength:

Lightweight, comfort, airflow

size is off a little, you get small/medium or large/x large. Seem to run a little large

Bought bell helmets for my wife and I last year and they were nice but the comfort of the 661 blows them away.
I wanted a more mountain bike helmet without going full face, even though im a fan of full face helmets for what I wanted to spend I was not going to get a good enough one to matter.

I settled on the recon at 75.00 each on sale and they were a great buy, great airflow,comfort,lightweight were just the beginning of what I liked about the recon.

The straps are placed well and don't snug your ears to make the sore after miles of riding, the visor does actually help and is easily removed if you wish to take it off.

The helmet runs a little large so if your on the fence of a med or large you could go med OR buy the large and modify the inner pads a little and it will fit snug enough, its not really a big deal and easily modified.

Great product of a decent price, in the less than $100.00 market its probably one of the best out there and you only get one head so get the best you can buy!!

[Jan 29, 2013]
bassn

Strength:

Great fit, Coverage, construction, and protects the noggin well! Basically everything I could ask for in a helmet.

None.

Recently I slammed my head into a tree while descending a technical steep downhill in less than ideal conditions. The impact was so hard the helmet actually left a V groove in the tree. From the incident I was able to ride back to the car and taken to ER by my friends. I left the hospital 3 hours later with a concussion and slight bruising to my right lower jaw. Very minor IMO considering the impact. A new replacement SixSixOne Helmet is on its way!
I guess it's one of those things, you really don't appreciate a well made helmet until it saves your noggin. I highly recommend purchasing the Recon.

[Jan 27, 2013]
RyanW

Strength:

Coverage, fit, comfort, vents, well made.

None really except sweat comes off the front onto my glasses when I stop, but this may just be me..solved this with a headsweat coolmax.

I wanted something that offers a bit more protection than typical helmets in this category but still keeps you cool as it has plenty of vents. So far after three months I am very happy with this helmet. It seems to be well made and feels solid but yet is light and very comfortable; I don’t really notice it is on after I start riding.
My only real compliant is that when you stop and look down just a bit, sweat will stream off the front onto my glasses, although this could just be me. I solved this issue with one of those headsweat cool max head covers, which works great.

[Nov 03, 2012]
piratewake
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Comfy, Cozy and cool.

None yet.

I have a pretty big head. I wear a 7 5/8 fitted hat. i bought a large and it fits perfect on the tightest setting.... I would deffinetly try one on before purchasing if your not sure what size hat you typically wear. Good coverage all the way around with plenty of breathability. Couldn't be happier.

[Oct 13, 2012]
juss

Strength:

This is the Mutts and the greatest protection for your bonce!

the adjuster strap easily falls out - oh and they don't have a homing device if you're stupid enough to leave it on the roof of you car!

Great all round, cool looking and feeling lid!

[Jul 28, 2012]
illinois downhiller

Strength:

great design, light, great venting, great padding, great retention backband.great strap clamps at triangle under ear. this alows to even tension so helmet dont rise.

sizing off..my head is 59 1/2 cm and this otherwise perfect fitting helmet would not fully snug with back band ratchet fully closed. so i attatched velcro soft sid out to plastic retenton back band plates and now in summer i got a couple clicks left and even a better helmet cuz soft velcro feel better than plastic. also i wonder if strap anchors and strap stitcing will last as long as the helment. but for a nice helmet like this it would be worth fixing..

love this helmet!! got the white one so sun dont cook me. true next sise smaller might have worked without altering, but in colder weather i have plenty of room to add a skull cap. i pedal a trek remedy 7 and wild like a banchie so i needed a cross country helmet that could take a hit and would not make me look like a sissy or overheat. im not peter pan so i dress more casual.but this helmet has mega venalation and looks good.plus it covers more medula at back of head.had many racers say i over protect cuz i also where full lizzard skins. but i have crashed hard.i have messed up jumps at 21mp and slammed to the dirt,.so i know we cant stop or imagine how hard or wher our head could be struck. human instinct will make you hit head last but it still can happen. so my summarry is the recon is great i love it and any less protection wound be dissrespecting my life...

[Jun 23, 2012]
Tim Kreimer
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Looks great
more coverage than a traditional helmet
plenty of air vents
comfortable

buckle and straps solution on my $35 bell helmet are better than on this $100 helmet
Coverage could be greater

The helmet is great, the only problem I have with it is that the buckle and strap design is very basic for such an expensive helmet. The buckle and strap on my $35 Bell helmet is much better than on this one. Also the coverage is good but im my opinion it could cover more. Other than that I really enjoy the helmet and recommend it.

Basic Bell helmet