POC Sports Trabec Helmet

The Trabec is a well-ventilated in-mold helmet that combines functionality and performance for single track and enduro riders in need of the highest degree of protection. The construction is similar to the trabecular bone structure, which has excellent resistance and durability. The inner EPS core, reinforced with aramid filaments, is tough and resilient and the outer PC shell is constructed with the seams located in the areas of least exposure.

Eric   [May 19, 2015]
Strength:

???

Purchased a POC Tribec Race for myself and POC Trabec for my wife. Both purchases made online, using POC's sizing guide. The helmet I received was to large and the one my wife received was to small. Helmets were never used only tried on in the living room. Contacted POC and was dismissed as they do not do exchanges. Site does state they will take back defective product, I would consider (safety issue) a sizing chart that completely misses the mark on helmet sizing to be a defect, even if the product itself is bomb proof. Being quoted policy by POC is not comforting, and I personally when purchasing online rely on the manufacturer to provide accurate information...not really cool to walk into the LBS and try on a helmet, then buy online. Sorry POC I really wanted to like you.

Buyer Beware.

Uncle Two Dogs   All Mountain Rider [Dec 25, 2014]
Strength:

Its Gorgeous! Fits well and stays in place.

The little plastic spacer-clips on chin strap have no locking mechanism, like in Gyro and other models. And its a little pricey!

I love mine and have been wearing it about 2-3 times per week for 10-30 mile rides, over the past year. It's a sexy helmet! I wanted the matte black, but they were out of stock so I settled on the Darth Vader black. It cleans up well with just a clean rag and warm water. Overall; I give the POC 4 chillies but docked it points because the spacer-clips, beneath the ears don't lock in place like on comparable Gyros and also, I predict they will start making the chin strap in black, because the gray/silver ones on mine are getting pretty stained.

Similar Products Used: Gyro, Bontranger, Bell, etc.
Alan Brooks   All Mountain Rider [Jul 23, 2014]
Strength:

Good helmet, good looks, band adjusts well for me and ventilation is adequate - I've had better from cheaper helmets.

At the time of my writing this, I can only find one supplier (on ebay in the UK) that sells more pads. Even the manufacture's website shows the part but also shows all sizes out-of-stock.

For a helmet in this price range, I expect a source of extra pads. Had I written this 6 months ago when I bought the helmet, it might have been a more glowing review like the rest here.

aanderle   All Mountain Rider [May 14, 2014]
Strength:

- Build quality, comfort, protection,robustnes, ventilation, looks.

- price, padding, weight (relative)

I was using the Trabec for one year, until It was ran over by a car, so I needed to get me a new one - again the Trabec.
Before, I was using Met Kaos but it didn't provide on many fronts, and I was really looking for a piece of protection that really felt like protection. After some search and a good deal, I opted for Poc Trabec. I found it an awsome all mountain helmet! My biggest concerns were ventilation and fit, because it it pretty spacy.. Both proved to be non-issue because of adjustability and well designed airflow inside the helmet. The ventilation isn't about the number of holes, but the way they are designed. Even the flying bugs, that enter the helmet are somehow flushed out - not once I have caught a bee or a fly inside.
The only thing I had upgraded was padding - both to improve the fit and to provide more sweat control. So I took thick foam from spare padding of a time trial helmet and placed it around the head to get a super comfy fit.
Protection is good - I had a few crashes, two times into a tree which left me with a very mild concussion and a fair inprint on top of the helmet, without any visible structural damage. Eventually a car on a parking lot finished it off, so I immediately ordered a new one. In the meantime I am under the Met again. The difference is huge.
I also like the way Trabec looks. It is not just another ordinary helmet (I also liked and considered Smith forefront and Bell Super) but a solid head cover that wraps around you and provides what was made for.

Similar Products Used: Met Kaos, Alpina, Specialized Vice
Brockwan   All Mountain Rider [Jan 21, 2014]
Strength:

adjustable comfortable fit. My noggin feels well protected and like it is marketed it feels it goes around the head instead of ontop of it. Its amazingly light and the vents work awesome.

with glasses/sunglasses are the earsocks have to go over the strap (not the fastening ones) that secure it around your head. Still comfortable as hell and doesnt affect its functionality or fit in any way.

it is a bit pricey for the top model especially at $220.

Great helmet, i wanted one for a while and im really glad i now have it. i love wearing it and the way it works.

top lid for sure.

Similar Products Used: 661 Recon
Ben   Cross Country Rider [Jan 02, 2013]
Strength:

Have had this lid for almost a year now and it is true, it doesn't stink. The antibacterial claim must be true. It *looks* huge when you get it, and it is bigger than most helmets I see out there these days, but it is also extremely light; you don't feel like you're wearing a 50 gallon Stetson. It does vent well and, conversely, seems to provide just enough coverage in winter to allow you to wear just ear warmers and not a full coverage hat. Plus, it looks bada$$. Don't see a lot of them where I am, so that's kinda cool, too.

Now, for the real stuff: I only bought to helmet because I cracked another one on NYE last year in a CY serious crash. That helmet did its job, but, hey, I had to buy another...so I went with the Trabec. Up until a couple of months ago, it hadn't been tested. Then I took a head-first digger, and slammed my head. Fortunately, I didn't break anything like last year, but the head slam was real, and I was dazed. BR the helmet wasn't so much as scratched. I couldn't even find where it hit the ground. And THAT is what a lid is all about. Being ale to continue to use it is a bonus, being able to continue to ride with no cracks in the cabesa is the thing.

The only negative I will give this helmet, and the only reason I gave it a four chili value rating, is the adjustment system. Two problems there: first is that it seems to phantom adjust during rides, or while chilling between rides; it always gets tighter. Which during the ride, is a pain in the a$$ because you have to use both hands to adjust it; it isn't like the simple, elegant little spinner wheel most helmets out ere have today, it's two little latches that work independently of each other, for each side. You have to use oth hands for the leverage, which means you have to be stopped to adjust. Other than that, flawless piece for your kit.

Thought I said it all? Great helmet, great protection, one minor flaw in the adjustment system.

Similar Products Used: Giro, Bell
LALAW   All Mountain Rider [Jun 09, 2012]
Strength:

I can feel the air flow! The vents really do work, and when I'm moving I can feel the air rushing over my head. I am already riding in the summer heat. The POC feels light and comfy. It does not feel hot. It feels very light. Basically, it feels as good as, or better than, my regular Giro helmets, but supposedly provides better protection. No, I have not fallen with it. I have never fallen on my head! Yet.... but I'm willing to pay for the "insurance" in case it happens. I get better and ride harder - and I know I'm tempting fate....

I gave it 5 chilis on value - ASSUMING it does provide superior protection. Better protection is worth the price and makes it a great value. And if this is not true, I guess I'll never know?

Price seems a little high at first. But then again, I am accustomed to buying last years models and don't usually pay retail prices. This time I was willing to pay more for better protection of my most valuable asset. Looks a little bit futuristic - looks "different" from what we're used to seeing. The look grew on me, but I don't wear a helmet to look "pretty" - that's my bike's job!

Great helmet. It provides all the features of other helmets I have used [and tried on], is not heavier and not hotter. AND it supposedly provides superior protection of my cabesa.

The helmet looks like it rides high on your head, but it feels like it "embraces" my head and cover more of the back of my head, giving very full protection. All the other helmets I've used or tried on feel like they sit on top of my head. This one feels like it cradles my head. And I think that's what I want it to do.

Similar Products Used: Lots of Giros, inc. the Giro Animas.
flipsidem   Cross Country Rider [Feb 15, 2012]
Strength:

Comfort, not huge or really tall on my head, back of head coverage, looks good.

I haven't had any issues with this helmet. The vents make different wind noises than other helmets I've used, but I don't notice it anymore.

I was in the market for a helmet with more coverage on the back of the head. I tried two Fox models and a Uvex. They didn't fit my head right. I hadn't even heard of POC when I saw this helmet at an expo booth after a race at Winter Park. I talked the sales rep down to $90 cash, which I still consider to be a lot for a helmet. I am happy with this helmet.