Giro Pneumo Helmet

Giro Pneumo Helmet

The original Pneumo built a loyal following of Giro fans all over the world. So loyal, we knew it was time to bring it back. This season marks the return of the popular helmet, with a timelessly sleek, organic look. A new and improved fit system combines with feature-light slim-line webbing and an increased number of strategically placed vents to create one of the most breathable, stylish and easy-to-wear helmets on the pavement, singletracks or velodrome.

[Nov 09, 2010]
Veda

Strength:

Light, cool with multiple vents, fits well.

Side straps brushes too much against my ears.

A good product. Dunno how well it protects the head but for the weight it's quite comfortable.

So many to list

[Jun 24, 2010]
StinkyPete

Strength:

Very lightweight.
Very well-ventilated.

Interior plastic wore out very quickly (not impacts either), rendered helmet useless after one year. Padding at forehead could have been better too.

Lightweight, well-ventilated, falls apart quickly.

Not use Bell Variant for MTB and S-Works for Road.

[Dec 22, 2009]
Zachariah

Strength:

-Removable visor
-Washable padding
-Fairly light
-RocLoc ensures snug fit

-High MSRP...but when it comes to saving your brain bucket- cost is no object.

Saved my life TWICE:

1) 30mph night time crash(dim lights), broke collarbone and impacted head.
2) Struck by car six weeks later and re-injured collarbone, broke rib and shoulder blade too. Second hard head impact on asphalt rendered helmet unsafe.

Always make sure you get Giro's 30% off crash replacement discount, when the helmet is toast. I used the $13,000 insurance settlement to get a new carbon-reinforced Giro Atmos...which already survived two small crashes, without damage.

ALWAYS WEAR YOUR HELMET...even when test-riding. People have actually DIED in crashes less than 5mph!!!

Bell Volt

[Apr 05, 2006]
Ernie

Strength:

light weight, good venting, great fit

not cheap

I've used this helmet for both road and XC. I have had it since 1999. Fit look and everything have been great. Even better......busted my first helmet today. Did a full endo into a shallow swamp. Hit my head on a rock and busted the helmet in 2. The Pneumo did its job and saved me a ride out on a helecopter. I have had no problems with it for 7 years and when called upon it performed. I am a Giro customer for life!

cheap ones,

[Mar 08, 2006]
Robert

Strength:

Customer service is impeakable; even off warranty!!! Comfortable even after 10 hour endurance rides! Breathes very well. Protective (what else is a helmet for?) and durable. Very well balanced performace.

Sweat pads wear out every 6 months (probably because of my high-and-tight hair not the product). Little costly but aren't your brains worth it?

This is the best helmet on the market for the money! There are less costly helmets but the don't fit or protect as well. I wear out the sweat pads (probably with my short hair style) but Giro always sends new ones for free, EVEN AFTER THE WARRANTY WAS OUT AND I'VE TRIED TO TALK THEM INTO CHARGING ME, THEY'RE STILL FREE!!! YOU CAN'T TOP THAT KIND OF SERVICE!!! This helmet has been with me for about 3 years and over 35K miles and I still love it every time I put it on!

Low end Trek and Bell helmets

[Jan 19, 2007]
Scott

Strength:

Light, plenty of ventilation,doesn't interfer with vision when riding aero position.

Thin pads separate from velcro backing, plastic adjuster snaps off easily, poor quality control

Great all-around helmet for price paid (on sale plus coupon plus free shipping.) If I were paying retail, I'd buy a Spuik with full inner pad and netting, or a LAS Haxial. Pnuemo worth $90 but not $160.

Bell Phi

[Nov 28, 2001]
Simon Black

Strength:

Easily adjustable, snug fit, plenty of vents (less is more), very comfortable, Roc Loc 4 rocks. Crash replacement policy, removable and washable pads.

Expensive, that's about it. You pays your money you takes your choice.

Yes, I ride a mountain bike and use Lance's helmet. My head needs protecting just as much as you roadie guys (and gals). When it comes to protecting your fragile cranium accept no substitute - no matter what kind of bike is between your legs.

Met Anaxgore

[Feb 25, 2002]
Roger

Strength:

Lightweight, Lots of Vents, Styling is cool, Adjustability

This helmet is definitely worth every penny. The reason why this helmet is so expensive is because there are TONS of vents, and there are options for adjustability. You can adjust the fit and snugness of how the helmet fits the back of your head as well as your normal chin straps.

Plus not only is this one of the lightest helmets, but the new 2002 model has the best styling and looks. There are so many vents on this helmet that it really keeps your head cool and not sweaty. (Very important for me) It protects you very well but at the same time feels like you're not wearing a helmet because it's so light and comfortable.

If you read all the other reviews on this helmet, you'll know and understand why this is such a bestseller. I'm so glad that I spent the extra buck to get this helmet.

Specialized King Cobra

[Oct 21, 2002]
Oli

Strength:

Weight, Colour, Fit,

none yet, stay tuned

I got my Boreas from supergo 3 years ago, (good deal, bad colour, snot green). After looking for a while and reading many bad reviews on the E2 I decided to stick with a road helmet . When I saw Lance's helmet for this price at the show I had to buy it. This thing is choice. Unlike the E2 (and all of Giro's other helmets) the Pneumo has a Roc Loc strap that snaps into the helmet, (no glue to come undone). Not sure why the top Giro road helmet is better made than the top Giro MTN helmet. Oh well, buy a road helmet.

Boreas, Specialized

[Jul 13, 2002]
Ricardo

Strength:

Lot of vents, superb fit (ROC LOC 4), very light, can be used on/off road.

High price (but quality cost isn't it?)

The first impression that cross your mind is whether it will worth to pay such a high price for a garment instead of spending that money in a set of wheels or any XTR stuff. But the moment you try this helmet you know for sure that this is THE ULTIMATE thing. Nothing compares to it in fit, weight, quality, look and... price. So, how is the fit? It is so good that one day I forgot to buckle up the straps and the thing never moved on my head until I figured out 10 minutes later. Comfy? You got it! So vented that you can actually feel the wind thru your hair (or rain drops on your head). When everybody is hurrying to take off their helmet at stops, I even forget I have it on my head. The box labeled this helmet for road use, but I use it off road with the visor. If this can protect road pros blazing at 70mph on hard concrete, how come it won't protect my head in a 25mph ride in the woods?? Just save some money and treat yourself right. Buy this helmet if you mind safety, comfort and proven technology.

Louis Garneau, Bell, other foam shells some use to call 'helmet'