Giro Phase Helmet

Giro Phase Helmet

The Giro Phase Mountain Helmet features an In-Mold polycarbonate shell with EPS liner to provide maximum protection while emphasizing comfort as well. With 24 Vents, this helmet will keep the user cool for maximum riding efficiency. Additionally, the included snap-fit 2 visor is also provides excellent protection. To create the perfect fit, this helmet features the Giro Acu Dial 2 adjustment system. Finally, with six stylish color options, there is a helmet for everyone!

[Jun 15, 2017]
EOS_

Strength:

excellent built quality, value

weight

I have an older 2012 or 2013 model (dark red/gray) I chose this helmet because Giro helmets fit me best. Fit is very individual, so I will not rate it, simply I tried helmets from every available brand and Giro came out best for me. It is an in-mold design, so quality is top. It is quite thick and a bit big compared to other similar helmets, so I believe it would provide good protection if needed. For the weaknesses, as others wrote, I agree, the adjustment dial in the back is really sensitive, but not a big issue I think. Ventilation is not that great I also agree. It has many vents, but they are small. For me the biggest minus is the weight. It is 316g claimed. Previously I used Giro Skyline helmet, a much lower class and significantly lighter.
No major issues, for such price/value, I would recommend it for serious riders.

Giro Skyline

[Jul 07, 2012]
Thomas

Strength:

So l will start by saying this, the helmet looks great with the blue, white, and black design. The fit is very nice and snug when I request it; depending if I'm wearing a HeadSweats band or my Cannondale cap (for winter rides). Speaking of snuggest. One complaint that I have like another reviewer mentioned was the tension wheel that tightens/loosens the helmet. It is sensitive.

As previously mentioned then tension wheel on the back is sensitive. Not great when trying to make minor adjustments during a ride. This situation would almost definitely require stopping. Ventilation is not fantastic. Lots of sweat build-up in the front, above the forehead. This has forced sweat into my eyes and riding glasses. Let me add this could be due to high humidity combined with torturous heat here in south Texas.

For the money this is a great helmet. Unless you visit the local Cannondale shop here in San Antonio where I was told this was a cheap helmet because I didn't fork out $150+; but just for the record he was referring to the ventilation issue. Okay, still. Sorry I am not wealthy, but I spent $70.00, and that was within my budget. Don't be fooled, this is a good helmet made by a very well known company.

Giro Hex

[Aug 04, 2011]
COTarHeel

Strength:

Fits well, stays put, good venting

Acu Dial thing is sensitive

I really like this helmet, especially since I was able to snag it on sale. It is a vast improvement from my old Specialized lid. Vents really well and stays in place, really the only two things I want my helmet to do besides protecting my noggin.

Two things bug me about it though, but they aren't really a big deal. The first is that the adjustment dial in the back is really sensitive and will loosen up at the slightest touch to any part of that little gizmo (not just the dial itself). Second, the pads in the front, for whatever reason, collect sweat like crazy and then it drips down my face, especially if the helmet gets pushed against my forehead. I've never had this happen with any other helmet I've used.

Those minor things are my only knocks on it though. When I need to replace it I'll definitely go for another Phase.

[Jul 18, 2011]
mtbmc82

Strength:

Comfortable, well ventilated, easily adjustable, protects well

This helmet was great while it lasted. The best part is that it saved my life yestreday. Taking a massive header into a rock garden is not a fun way to find out your helmet works, but that's how I found out this one works. I have to get a new helmet now because the foam broke on impact. While the rest of my body feels like it's been in a train wreck, my head feels great. I will be able to go to the store today to buy another Giro Phase today because one saved my life yesterday.

Bell Slant, Giro Indicator

[Feb 15, 2010]
ape

Strength:

Good fitment, Price compared to other Giros. Good amount of adjustability.

Ratcheting adjuster on the back is sometimes hard to tighten, without accidentally pushing the release button. Also, the chin strap seems to keep loosening, but that could just be the helmet breaking in.

I have a large head. Like, really large. Like, most baseball caps and L/XL hats don't really fit me. I was happy to find that pretty much all of Giro's helmets, even with just a quick "try-it-on" adjustment, fit me very well! I picked the Phase for its low price (though I really liked the Hex and Xen too). If you have a huge head like me, Giro seems to be the way to go!

[Jun 29, 2009]
Goatologist
Downhiller

Strength:

lightweight, multiple sizes available, cool

not adjustable visor

Used the dividend and a broken encinial at REI for this one, good deal, solid helmet, feels like it has more coverage than other helmets without going for a full face. comfortable stuff.

giro hex, encinal

[Mar 10, 2009]
wyatt lowery

Strength:

Light, comfortable, tons of vents, reasonable price

Wish the visor came down a little further, or was a bit longer

Protective helmet that does its job, is light and cool due to the vents, is comfortable due to the adjustable skull lock and the adjustable straps, no bells and whistles to worry with, just simple and safe. I'd buy it again. If the visor came down a little more, I'd give it a near perfect score, but the visor sits so high that you barely notice its there, making it almost pointless when you need it the most (at least for me). I would recommend to a friend. I gave it a 4 for value due to the bang-for-the-buck value, and a 3 overall because I'm sure there are much lighter (and more expensive) helmets out there- and nothing is perfect...

multiple Bells, other Giros, a few Treks

[Feb 05, 2009]
kk4df

Strength:

Fit!
lightweight, well ventilated (27 vents), looks nice

none so far

I tried on just about everything in the bike shop. This one was by far the best fit for me, no doubt. I had always used the "universal fit" helmets before, but really like having one that is better sized to my head. Fits like a glove, comes down further over my head than many others, and I don't feel any protrusions from this helmet (as I did with several other expensive helmets). It took a few minutes to adjust the straps, but now if fits great.

Bell Solar