Giro Feature Helmet

Giro Feature Helmet

Giro Feature Helmet is the evolution of coverage and performance for long-travel trail riding. As the sport of trail riding progresses, helmets have to evolve. The Feature starts with a radical new shape that combines a little more coverage than traditional helmets, with vents that radiate heat up and out of the helmet; perfect for climbing at lower speeds. When the trail drops out, rugged In-Form fit system offers one-handed fit and stability adjustment, so you can dial-in the perfect feel and stay focused on the trail ahead, without losing your head.

[Jun 12, 2016]
Steve

Strength:

Fit, adjustabilty, protection, weigbt, look

My helmet of choice, enough vents, it's hot in TX even without a helmet and I always wear mine when riding. I'm a 7 1/4, use the M, always wear a bandanna, the fit is great.
This helmet has saved my head/life multiple times, I'm on the second one, first one took a hit from a tree that took me off the bike, I looked at the huge dent and rode on and got another one.
I prefer a helmet my head is in rather than a helmet that's on my head, this is it.

[Jan 08, 2014]
justwan naride

Strength:

Coverage, adjustability, fit, weight, looks, value.

Ventilation can be inadequate at slow speeds in very hot climates. Choose the white or fluo yellow to at least reflect some of the sun. Front pad design & channels may allow sweat to reach your eyes.

Stylish, minimalist, gimmickless MTB helmet.

[Dec 05, 2013]
Inuitbiker

Strength:

Keeps your skull and brains functional
Ventilation
Removable Visor
Good Size Adjustment
Comfort
Customer support

Inner Pads

All in all this was a great helmet. Cracked mine after my rear tire patch blew out after landing on the transition. Had a minor concussion but no fractures or punctures to my head. It did its job. Customer service at Giro top notch for warranty and small parts needs.

Only gripe were the inner pads. They need to wash regular or they are sponges to zit causing bacteria. Also, they do no last long. Mine fell in apart 1.5 months and I only ride 3-4 times a week.

Will buy again if only the new version had MIPS. POC for now.

[Sep 09, 2013]
Wasquatch

Strength:

Solid, comfortable, adjustable, and it doesn't feel like an egg sitting on your head, or that it was converted from road riding to mountain biking. Lots of coverage, and feel more appropriate for the trails. Visor is easily adjustable

Needs a little more venting, either through wider holes, or the ducts need more angle to them. The ability to gather sweat off of the forehead leaves alot of room for improvement.

Great value, and design. Compared it to POC Trabec, Catlike Leaf, Bell Super. Preferred the price, the colors, and fit. Just give me a little more sweat absorbing material and its five stars.

[Apr 17, 2013]
TikiGoddess

Strength:

Adjustable visor, cool colors, light and comfortable for my head shape.

Not enough vents and flimsy straps.

This helmet is best out of the helmets I've tried at the lbs and good value for the money. I am a girl and was hoping to purchase a more colorful helmet--something other than black or matte. Among the top 3 helmets that I looked at were the Fox Flux, Giro Xen and the POC Trabec. Among the 3 the Trabec was closer in design to the Feature but at a premium. The Trabec is priced at 110 at my lbs and with the Feature at 75 it was a no brainer. I bought the color teal and am very happy with my purchase. Taken it out twice on a 16 and 13 mile trail ride on windy weather and it worked superbly. I don't know if it will work as well in warmer weather tho, I guess wed will see.

Bell and a really old Giro Road Helmet

[Oct 29, 2012]
Pedro
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

I been waiting for a while to get this new generation of AM helmets and finally a have one. Well ... great fit and light, I quite like the thin fixation straps, the adjustable visor and the different shape approach. Stays in place with no vibrations or movement.

For me the easy to dent round/gloss ( red) surface makes me a bit furious for a dirt/mountain bike lid, it must be the new in-mold bond that makes it a non flexible hard surface, and there is nothing to cushion the small hits. It's just like pressing EPS foam with an egg surface ... does not return to shape... Ok , it only a cosmetic issue but that's annoying that u find new dents every time you go ride. I don't know if this happens in Urge's or Poc's
Oh and I almost forgot to mention... the color finishing of the visor of my red Feature it's slightly different than the helmet color.

In terms of fit/usage it's a great helmet, 4 chilis for that, and only the fragile surface let me down a bit.

[Jul 13, 2012]
PeytonP

Strength:

Fits well. Light. Great coverage. Durable.

Odd sizing (I wear a Giro snowboard helmet in Large, had to exchange Large Feature for a Med.)
Could use slightly more comfort-padding between head and helmet.
Matte black finish wears easily.
(you forget about this as soon as the helmet saves your skull)

I've only ever worn full-face, but I've decided risking an East Texas heat stroke isn't worth it. I wear a Large Fly Racing full-face and I have a Large Giro snowboard helmet. Logically, I ordered a Large Giro Feature, but it was just a little too loose. HucknRoll exchanged for a Medium with no issues and it fits great.
That aside, I've worn it for a few months now and I really like it. It gives me more security than a traditional XC offers and it takes abuse. I dropped it on my headset and it left a tiny dent in the outer shell, BUT there isn't even a scuff from a gnarly steep OTB into a tree where my bike flipped over me and bounced off my head behind my left ear.
Final verdict- I am VERY impressed!

[Jul 08, 2012]
Shpadoinkel

Strength:

Great fit. Light. Adjustable visor. Feels like you're fully protected. Looks better than most.

A little on the warm side. Finish scratches easily (at least on the matte black).

Overall, I think this is a really good helmet. I was looking for something that would give me great protection, while at the same time look a little better than the average helmet. I know looks aren't all that important while you're flying down a hill, but I've just never liked the look of the standard bike helmet. The standard bike helmet also always felt like it was sitting on top of my head. This one feels like I'm actually wearing it since it sits lower and wraps around my head.

This helmet fits great, has a low profile and gives great full head protection, especially on the back of the head. After about 5 minutes, I couldn't even feel the helmet. It's light and once you adjust the straps and the dial adjustment on the back, it won't move a bit but still feels very comfortable.

It is a little on the warm side. I didn't do myself any favors by getting the matte black, which I'm sure attracts a bit more sun than the others. I have a 5 mile street ride to my local trails and I have to stop and wipe my eyes twice before I got there. Once I get to the trails and started whipping around trees, I don't notice any sweat issues, probably because I was mostly in the shade at that point. With this helmet if you're on a long, hard ride in direct sunlight, you're gonna have a bad time.

The helmet also scratches pretty easy. Again, this may just be a matte black issue, but going under very light branches leaves marks on the finish that don't just rub off. Not a big deal at all for me, but it's not going to look brand new after your first ride.

I really like it because it does what I need it to do, protect my melon when I'm going down a hill. And it feels and looks good doing it.

[Jun 07, 2012]
SDKmann

Strength:

Secure fit, great coverage, functional visor, lightweight and fantastic looks.

Does not vent well and the finish makes marks stand out.

I snagged this helmet to replace a Giro mushroom style helmet and this helmet has been a great upgrade. The extended coverage and secure fit is perfect and makes you feel very safe. The extra protection comes at a cost though because this helmet does not vent well and gets really hot. At higher speeds this is not a problem but when I have to slow down for more technical sections of trail the helmet turns into an oven. The pads absorb sweat well though and I don't have any problems with sweat getting in my eyes. The helmet has a good look to it too, it is very well designed. Unfortunately the matte titanium color does not wear well. Mine is not very old and it already has a number of marks on it from branches. Overall it is a great helmet though and the slight weaknesses do not outweigh the superior fit and coverage this helmet offers.

[May 25, 2012]
Moby

Strength:

Snug fit, adjustable/removable visor, excellent protection all-around, great venting.

None that I have observed so far.

Purchased this lid to replace the mushroom I had previously. I have been very happy with my purchase. The extra coverage gives me a bit more confidence when attempting the technical stuff. Although it doesn't have as many vents as some $$$ models I have had no problems while riding down here in Texas. The placement of the pads keeps sweat from rolling into the eyes. Just a great lid.