Giro Athlon Helmet

Race-tuned performance in a singletrack-ready package. The ideal helmet for a serious XC riding and racing has to b light and cool without sacrificing features. The Athlon's compact liner offers good coverage without excess weight, and huge Wind Tunnel vents with internal channeling that can't be beat for cooling power. A full Roc Loc 5 system enhances the helmet's stability and comfort for long hours on the trail and the adjustable/removable P.O.V. visor shields your eyes from sun and branches. It's everything you need on the trail, and nothing more

JonathanS   [Aug 09, 2012]
Strength:

Great in black. Good mix of mtb and roadie style
So well vented definitely need skull cap for winter riding

Rear head strap occasionally detached of its own accord

Great looking helmet suitable for all my cycling needs. Light weight, great fit. Bit expensive considering the fault. Saying this I'm looking to buy another having crashed one and wolloping my head!

FNG RIDER   Weekend Warrior [May 26, 2011]
Strength:

2011 Athlon, with updated design, fit, and colors

none so far

The Athlon was redesigned for 2011, I ordered the Pearl White with Lime Green flames. It fits better than my Flux, with better coverage over the ears and eyebrows. Tor Roc Loc system is very easy to use and fits helmet securely. It flows air about the same as my roadie Ionos, and weighs about the same. On extended climbs my head cooks inside my flux even on overcast days. I get excellent shading with the lower coverage over the eyes with the shorty visor.
If you like great air flow, light weight and cool colors
this is the helmet for you. I highy recommend it.

Similar Products Used: Fox Flux
kersh13   Cross Country Rider [May 20, 2011]
Strength:

The Athlon is light, well-vented, and very comfortable. It is perfect for my XC uses. I wasn't looking for a cheap helmet that would hurt my head or the gram-saving helmet that would cost my savings.

Visor adjustment could be a bit more stable

This helmet is great for its price point. For around $100 this helmet is very comfortable and has the stylish looks of helmets that cost at least twice as much. The vents in this helmet also keep my head at a much lower temp than did my Havoc.

Similar Products Used: Giro Havoc
yspelipe   Cross Country Rider [Mar 26, 2011]
Strength:

Black coloring is always nice, awesome shape, no ugly graphics, excellent air flow through the vents, comfortable.

None so far.

This is an excellent helmet for the price, and I would recommend it to anyone.

Similar Products Used: Bell...
Michaelk   Weekend Warrior [Dec 04, 2010]
Strength:

Nice styling, visor, easy to adjust.

Visor is supposed to adjust but it doesn't really.

I use this around the city. I wanted a helmet with a visor and I wanted to try a Giro since they seem really popular. This looks a bit like a road racing helmet with a visor tacked on. It comes with 4 foam stick on pads with no instructions. I got mine on Ebay and it is a 2008 model so the new ones have a different adjuster at the back. The back has a thumb and finger adjuster that you just squeeze to tighten up but with no padding so I am guessing that is what the pads are for and I stuck two which makes the helmet very comfortable then just having a strap against your bare head. The visor comes right off which is a cool feature but it looks like the plastic might break if you did it many times. I like the styling mine is flat black and gray. Aside from the stick on pads inside the helmet is other Velcro pads which seem well designed. I can wear this for several hours and not notice it which is a good thing.

Similar Products Used: Alpina
burcak   Cross Country Rider [Nov 02, 2010]
Strength:

Looks good when not on your head. Suppose it will protect your head.
Customer support.

Bulky, Poor Visual Quality, Poor Visor Design, No Bug-Net, Poorly Working Adjustment Sys

After using my old Cratoni helmet for 5 years I thought I should change it for something better. I thought being an upper-level model of this major brand, Giro Athlon was a good choice. And I liked the looks of that matt black color too. But damn it only looks good on the photos! When I actually wore it, it looked HUGE on my head!!! It is at least 1cm higher and 2cm wider than my old helmet.

The adjustable visor is just a joke. Is that really necessary??? Cause the visor is never really secure, its always loose and does not stay straight. Just clip it rigidly to a fair position and leave it alone!

The adjustment system is hard to work with: It is easy to tighten but loosening is a problem. I cannot see the point of using such a system.. Is it the weight?

But on top of all I am quite disappointed by the build quality. The mold split lines and the boundaries between foam and outer shell looks so bad that I was curious that it could be a second quality item and I’ve sent an email to Giro with a photo. I was told these are normal!
But I have to say the customer support staff is polite and friendly.

At least the sizing chart of Giro is right.

I am not even considering to use this helmet, I will try to sell it right away and look for another helmet. Even my old helmet which was less than half the price of the Athlon is FAR more superior.

Similar Products Used: Cratoni Heli
kibbs   Cross Country Rider [Oct 11, 2010]
Strength:

Thinking about it...

Pads done after 4-5 rides delaminated from the foam
Comfort non-existent looks like someone booted me in the forehead where the center pad rubs.

I thought this helmet would be comfortable and last a while. Boy was I wrong. After 4 rides the pain this thing is inflicting on me has forced me to go back to an old helmet and look for alternatives. The center front contact point feels like it is drilling me in the forehead. The padding is toast cloth is delaminating from the foam backing.

I have contacted customer service but from the sounds of things here I will not have my hopes that high.

I may also be inclined to agree this helmet is really just a road helmet in disguise.

Similar Products Used: Xen, Met Kaos UL, Bell Variant
Uly   Weekend Warrior [Aug 04, 2010]
Strength:

Adjustable, comfortable

Padding falls apart quickly. Customer support lacking.

This is for the '09 model. Bought this in Feb. '10. Nice helmet that fits well, but the padding deteriorates quickly. Emailed customer service about this in April '10 and they said they would ship out replacement pads. A month later, no show. Emailed again asking about status on replacement pads, no reply. Wait a month and again email about status, no reply. It is now Aug '10, I think I have waited long enough. Last Giro helmet I will buy.

Similar Products Used: Other Giro helmets
Charles   Racer [Apr 02, 2010]
Strength:

Strong, robust and rigid

Doesn't look Giro! Too hot, slightly heavy and less protection. Designs = WTF!

I dunno what wrong with Giro design when it comes to MTB these days ! I've been big fan of Giro products and best was E2. The Athlon model, Zen to Hex looks not much as radical as it was 5 years ago. The ventilation doesn't gulp as much as E2 or old model like EXODUS. The current design looks so cheap for mountain bike lines of helmet. Its no longer radical or looks head turning. The current weight of giro helmet for MTB isn't much to be proud of anymore. I don't feel any cool air zoom into my head anymore. The color looks gloomy and the rear helmet coverage is not much to protect my brain. Thank god i still keep some old Giro models like E2, Exodus, Switchblade, Hammerhead and Helios because the looks more radical, air cooling and fits great. When i saw at MET KAOS helmet at LBS i tot it was GIRO's but no, i guess the original giro helmet designs have jumped to MET company instead.