Giro Animas Helmet

Animas

The Giro Animas offers aggressive styling and high-caliber performance features matched to massive vents that were made for epic endurance challenges and tough terrain. If you live and breathe for long rides, this is your helmet

Matthew   [Jul 30, 2012]
Strength:

Light, well ventilated, long lasting, Stronger than most would expect

NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've had this helmet for about 8 years, however, I've probably only done about 500 miles over those years. This helmet has held up well to several minor tumbles with no damages. There has been no fadding or discoloration of any parts.

Just a week ago I had a very nasty crash, going 30 mph downhill, I looked where I didn't want to go, so I fell in a wash out and hit a block of concrete. I went over the bars and landed head first into the ground. I was able to get up, and slowly ride to my car then drive to the hospital.

I had ZERO head injuries, but a cracked rib and very sore neck and back. Upon inspection of the helmet I found a gash in the top, that under closer look are Chain Ring teeth marks from the front ring hitting me in the head at some point. Internally one section of foam is compacted from the impact while the rest is cracked and broken in many places. While the helmet is no longer suitable for protective use, it still goes on and fits mostly the way it's supposed to.

I've very glad for this helmet and well be purchasing another similar Giro helmet through their Crash Replacement Program.

jordan   Weekend Warrior [Apr 09, 2006]
Strength:

great fit, super light, lots and lots of vets

this is a great helmet for allmountain riding which I do. it looks and fits awesome. go buy it now!

Similar Products Used: bell
John   [Jan 30, 2007]
Strength:

Looks great, great airflow, shell and paint holds up nice to wear and tear

Mine BROKE YESTERDAY!!! The rubber strap from the "best in the world" Rock lock 4 design where it contours around the left side of your head to the back adjuster, WELL BOTH RUBBER strap that holds the helmet snug to your head broke while in my backpack. (i dont leave this helmet on my bike while in class) I think that putting the helmet in my backback for barely 1 semester bent the rubber with steel strap inside of it so many times that it finally snapped. I am going to contact Giro for a possible new rock lock 4 plastics system....Other than that the helmet has been great. I have not had to use it yet:)

Will update to see if Giro helps me out...Otherwise dont put this helmet anywhere that the rubber straps are bent or twisted in anyway.

Similar Products Used: Bell $30 helmets
Lusdawg   Cross Country Rider [Mar 05, 2006]
Strength:

Weight, comfort, cool head, free cornrows!!!

None discovered

Only have used this helmet a few times, but it's SO much better than my old melon protector. It's so light and comfortable that I forget it's there. With my old brain bucket, I needed a sweat band from the start. Now, I only need one for longer rides. My head stays nice and cool for most of my rides (and I'm quite a sweaty rider). Highly recommended!! All that and the cornrows you have when the helmet comes off at the end of the ride are just SWEET!!!

Similar Products Used: Bell Ukon
George   Cross Country Rider [Nov 04, 2006]
Strength:

Light, tough, stays on - adjustable if you need to put on a beanie to keep your egg warm for night rides.

crappy visor pops loose for no apparent reason.

Great lid - great airflow, I sweat anyay and have no hair but I do notice a bit of a difference. I purchased this one after I trashed my last Giro something or other during a nasty face plant. I've gone over the bars over a dozen times with good impacts on fast singletrack and the Animas has done great everytime - I have to duct tape the visor in place or it just pops out. 5 for protecting my noggin - and saving it on a pavement spill - 4 for the crappy visor.

I'm adding a Bell Bellistic for riding though the muddy and rocky funk and keeping the Animas for less aggressive rides. I wouldn't suggets this for people who do any downhill for freeriding - it's just not built to take it. Get smart and go with a good FF helmet for that.

Similar Products Used: buncha other helmets over the years
Paul   [Aug 14, 2006]
Strength:

really heavy duty and can take a beating

nothing I have noticed so far

This helmet is amazing. I hardly notice I am wearing when riding after I properly adjusted it. I am new to mountain biking so falling over the handle bars has been frequent and this helmet has allowed me to get right back onto my bike and hit the trails again and again. I valued it at 5 chilis because 75 bucks for something that has made me survive some nasty falls is worth it. I also gave it 5 chilis for overall because it adds comfort with protection

Andrew   Cross Country Rider [Sep 11, 2006]
Strength:

slender road style look, Wind tunnel venting, lots of adjustabiity

none yet

i can barely feel this helmet on my head. superior venting, i feel the wind blowing through my hair. i bought it cuz i wanted something that looked like the Atmos but didnt cost as much. has the most adjustability ive seen in a helmet. pretty aero, alot better than my old azonic skid. very comfortable overall, i actually like wearing this helmet. i think that $100 is a little overpriced for the features u get tho.

Similar Products Used: Azonic skid lid
Boomer   Cross Country Rider [Nov 11, 2007]
Strength:

Light, tight, and airy.

It broke, The Roc-Loc retainers to the shell snapped off. Visor is kinda cheapy (but so what really).

I really liked the helmet, but the vertical retainers broke during a minor get off. It seems kind of pathetic for a higher end helmet, but maybe I'm too rough on stuff.

Similar Products Used: None
Aaron   [Jun 26, 2006]
Strength:

Ventilation is the best I've experienced in a helmet; good, comfortable fit; came in my favorite colors (ti/blue); Rocloc system is easy to use

Visor mount seems a little on the flimsy side

The coolest, most comfortable helmet I've ever tried. It has better airflow and is better looking than Bell X-Ray. Anyone who's head get hot when riding (I think that covers everyone, right?) should get one. I am extremely hot-headed, and I forget I have this thing on!