Fox Head Transition Helmet

Fox Head Transition Helmet

Fox Racing designed the Transition Helmet with skate styling, lightweight in-mold construction, and 12 strategically-placed vents to bring comfort and protection to the next level as you shred the jump park.

[Jan 27, 2016]
ladedati

Strength:

Price, Looks, Light weight

Doesn't do the job.

Recently bought this helmet for riding at Ray's MTB in Milwaukee. Bought it because you get hot riding indoors and it looked like good venting. First thing I noticed was the minimal padding. Comfort is not there like my son's triple 8. Last weekend I was going through the jump section and hit a 4' table top. Front end washed out on me and I slammed my head on the ground. I was out cold for over a min. The helmet actually cut my eyebrow and the whole side of my head is bruised. Basically all the protection you get in that helmet is the Styrofoam shell. I had a rental kali a couple weeks prior and hit my head hard and barely felt it. I would not recommend the fox. I am junking it and getting something else.

Kali, Tripple 8

[Jul 24, 2013]
skyungjae
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Aesthetically pleasing, good back of the head protection

Venting

They should re-name this helmet the "Heat Stroke," because that's what's going to happen if you find yourself doing a lot of pedaling in hilly areas on a sunny day. Of course, that's not what this helmet is designed for, but it's my only helmet. I end up using it for everything.

I've worn this helmet nearly every day since November of 2012. Since then, the black part of the padding has peeled off on one side, so the velcro will only stick to one of the sides. I'm not going to say that it's poor quality since I do unload buckets of sweat into it.

Anyhow, if you feel this type of helmet suits your riding, go for it. I do not think it's a good "all arounder" helmet though.

[May 10, 2012]
spity
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Price, comfort, SUPER light weight. Safety, bang for the buck.

Strap. Its not bad and ive gotten better at adjusting it. But the behind the ear straps slightly rub my ear. I have big ears, and im an inbetween on helmet sizes. Not a major issue by any means.

I usually ride with a full face Giro Remedy. The weathers getting warmer and for trails I know im not going to be jumping or going all out on I needed a bit cooler of a helmet without sacrificing my skull protection. (We have alot of very rocky trails here in MD).

Regular XC helmets dont leave me feeling safe enough for my dumbass. This was a good compomise. Plenty of behind the head protection. Its not too hot. Very comfy, and light weight. The value was all there, and it has more vents, and a little more style(Almost german ww2 army helmet) than a regular skate helmet.

I probaby look like a big nerd wearing it, but people already give me dirty looks for riding a single speed rigid. But for me it leaves me with the same sense of confidence as my full face and not being afraid of flying through rock gardens, and trees. Lets face it, when you ride hard, your going to crash. When I go OTB i like to get back up.

[Jun 10, 2011]
buddhak

Strength:

Lightweight for so much coverage
Molded in shell in construction yields a durable helmet

One size fits all - worked for me, but only with the thick pad set
Limited adjustability - may be an issue for some folks, but not so much for me
Foam pads can disintegrate over time, but Fox is good about sending replacements
Limited venting, but that's the price of structural integrity

I am happy with the Fox. For the durability and amount of coverage (esp in the rear) that it offers, it is pretty lightweight. Technically a single crash helmet, but it has served me very well for a year now. There are lighter and breezier helmets out there, but they just don't last. The Fox is a lightweight battle helmet and it is confidence inspiring. To the guy who is disappointed that he sustained a concussion while wearing his Fox, you are missing the point. Bike helmets do not necessarily protect against concussion. They are designed to protect against skull fractures by dissipating focused impacts over a larger area of compressible foam. Your brain will still bang around the inside of your skull with such an impact.

Many, many foam + shell helmets: Bell, Giro, etc.

[Apr 22, 2011]
Nadric

Strength:

Looks good
Fits larger sized heads well
Straps attach to helmet, not foam

Can get a little warm
Single impact

Was having trouble finding a helmet that fit larger sized heads, while still looking good. This fit those needs perfectly.

[Apr 13, 2010]
yakmastermax
Downhiller

Strength:

Very light
Cheap
Very light
good graphics
good strap function
did I mention light?!

Hot, venting is mediocre at best
single hit/use

I bought the helmet to do DJ and Freeride in

I was very pleased at first at how light it is
Got a little hot here and there but not bad,

However I took a crash, landed head first from undershooting a 7 foot double and got a concussion. Honestly I expected more from the Helmet.

A bruised scalp is one thing but at speeds under 15mph and hieghts under 10ft I like to think most helmets on the market can prevent concussion.

Guess not.

[Mar 22, 2009]
PiroChu

Strength:

- light weight (just like a XC helmet, definintely lighter than other skate-style helmets)
- strap attachment (straps are attached to the helmet kinda like $100+ Giro X-Gen)
- fit (this is personal)

- cambuckle pieces (design doesn't allow the straps to open wide below the ears; integrity is poor that it naturally broke off on its own after 7th month - will need some aftermarket cambuckle replacements from REI)
- no outter shell layer (makes it light-weight, but dings very easily when hitting tree branches)

I really this skate-style helmet (& its name to match my bike, hahah) that's light weight like a XC lid. The fit is great, too (though this is personal).

The only gripe is its cambuckle pieces. Adjustment allowed to wide-open the starps below ears is limited (straps touching the ears annoying), then these broke off naturally (on its back-side / cheek-touching side) on its own, after 7 months. I'll have to go get something like these (http://www.rei.com/product/612227) from REI to replace them now - hopefully they'll work.

Except for the cambuckles, this helmet has been great for me, and is a keeper (once replacing these lil' pieces).

Bell cross-country helmets, Giro Remedy full-face helmet