Cratoni Maniac Helmet

Cratoni Maniac Helmet

Maniac

[Jul 10, 2001]
Andrew H

Strength:

-Amazing fit
-Retention system
-Super bright orange!
-Chicks dig it

None at all! Yeah its pricey but considering how important and valuable your head is, its worth every penny!!

I love this helmet. I will admit that I did not pay full price for it because I work in a bike shop, but out of the few parts I would actually pay full price for, this is definatley one of them. It fits great, lots of vents, does not move around and is strong!! I took a head plant in a 24hour race in Ontario and the helmet saved my mealon, and was un affected! I would definatley buy this helmet again.

A bell helmet and a skate helmet.

[Jul 06, 2001]
Marshall

Strength:

Fit
Looks

Price (if you pay full retail)

This is a review of the Cratoni Twister. I've tried both Bell and Giro helmets for years and always had the same problems with them -- the helmets did not fit very well and, after riding with them for awhile, the glue which held the velcro pieces to the helmet would come loose, causing the helmet to be loose (I was always pushing the helmet back from falling forward on my head).

The Cratoni has the absolute best fit of any helmet I have tried. Before I bought this helmet I tried on the Giro E2 and the Bell Nemesis 2. The Cratoni's helmet fitting system is so far superior than Bell and Giro that I am surprised it is not more widely used in the U.S. The dial down system gives a perfectly snug fit every time.

To me, all high end helmets look similar. The Cratoni is no different -- the Maniac and Twister versions look just as sleek as top of the line Bell and Giro. But the reason to buy this helmet is for the fit. I doubt you'll find another helmet that fits as well as a Cratoni.

Giro, Bell

[May 25, 2001]
Russell Crotts

Strength:

way vented, saucy orange color, retension system,

Visor is heavy and doesn't stay in place very well. The visor is so heavy that I have done numerous endos because of it! (just kidding, but it is noticably heavy)
The retension straps come down right in back of my ears (I am still trying to find glasses that aren't interfered by it)

This is a great helmet. If it wasn't for the hangup w/ my glasses and the retension straps, I would give it a 5. I tend to be a little rough of reviews though because I want people to be pleased w/ what they are buying. The helmet breaths very good and fits perfect at the same time. It seems to resist scratching from trees as you duck under them. I had a cratoni before this one too and am still waiting for the retension to snap. don't know if it will happen, although it still fits good w/out being tightened down.

Ritchey Tomahawk team issue, Bell nemesis pro, troy lee troxel

[Mar 12, 2001]
cary abad

Strength:

great engineering, effective vents and lock system, very light

lock on the visor

this is a great product for the money. sure there is alot of cheaper helmet around but if you had been cycling for awhile you would know if the product has been given time and effort in the engineering and detail.
i haven't tested it's crash capabilities but i know it has a 50% retail trade in with the cratoni company. that's alot better than most of the companies around.
wear one and feel the difference.

giro,bell

[Jan 17, 2001]
Vincent

Strength:

- Fit
- The "twist thing"
- Vents

- Visor a bit on the heavy side
- Price

Great helmet which happens to fit my type of head. Good ventilation and style. A bit pricy, but if no other brand or style of helmet can fit you head, then you may want to consider this one, although Cratoni is kind of hard to find, at least in CA.

Bell, Giro

[Oct 06, 2000]
Bill

Strength:

Vents, and the retention system is by far the best. It's easy to adjust and because it's easy to adjust, it fits right on my head.

Visor needs two more places to attach to the helmet. An easy fix with velcro, though

This is also a TWISTER helmet review. I tried the Bell's and the Giro's again after a crash. This is a cool looking and cool wearing helmet. The retention system is engineered like no other I have seen. Value rating a helmet is a little weird. Nobody wants to have to need to use it!

Giro, Bell

[Jul 29, 2000]
DirtCrab

This is the German engineered version of head protection. Not only does it fulfill it's intended purpose (protecting ones eggshell of a head), it does this in a very sexy package. What a nice looking helmet. I bought the yellow. If I could have found someone stocking the cool orange color, I would have bought that one.

Others here have mentioned the cool retention mechanism. It really fit better than any other helmet I've ever tried. This is due mainly to the brilliantly designed retention system. It can be tightned or loosened on the fly. Locking your noggin securely in the helmet but VERY comfortably. You can also make slight modifications to the angle and depth of this retention device, say if you have a large overhang on the back of your cranium.

I was also pleased to see that they offer a 50% discount on a replacement helmet if you should be the unfortunate party in a noggin involved crash. Not as good a replacement offer as Giro, but I think this is a better helmet (based on fit) -- so to me it is worth it.

A little expensive (mine was $124.00 at Performance) but well worth the money based on the excellent fit and 50% discount on a crash replacement. Hopefully I'll never have to take them up on this offer.

Giro

[Jul 23, 2000]
Russell Seaton

Strength:

Awesome, wonderful, perfect rear retention system. NO VELCRO to come loose when you jam your helmet down over your headband.

Color choices aren't great. I have the purple/silver one. Its OK. Maniac colors are a bit better.

This is a review of the Cratoni Mountain Twister helmet. If the web administrators want to set up a Twister category and move this review, fine by me.

Regular retail on the Twister is $80 from Performance. It more or less looks like the Maniac line except it does not have the plastic coating on the back of the helmet. The Twister is much much lighter weight though because it does not have this plastic coating. I had both helmets for a brief period and could easily compare the two. Twister has a sort of built in visor and a removable one. I have not used the removable one yet and probably will not since it would block vision when ridig in the drops on a road bike.

I have the S/M size Twister. I tried the Maniac S/M also. It is a larger helmet. The syrofoam is shaped differently. By turning the tightening device all the way, I could just get the Maniac to fit. Twister fits my head better. The Maniac is also wider. It fits bigger, wider heads than the Twister helmet. The Large size of these two helmets must fit pumpkins very well.

Helmet seems cool enough with all of the vents. Its been used on some pretty hot and humid rides.

The mechanical rear retention device is so much better than all of the other helmets out there. I like my helmets tight so they stay on and don't move if I were to hit the ground. Velcro rear retention devices used in all other helmets come loose when I put the helmet on over the headband. Or if they are loose enough to fit over the headband, they would move around when you hit the ground and let your head hit instead of the helmet absorbing the force. The Cratoni is the best, by far, method of keeping the helmet secure and in place on your head. I won't go back to velcro again. Velcro is OK for keeping your cycling shoes tight, but not for keeping your head protected.

Bell Image Pro.

[Feb 11, 2000]
blitz kreger

Strength:

this is one bad ass helmet, it looks sooooooo cool, i walk around the house with it on and it gulps air and keeps my noggin cool, riding in the winter has proven to be a problem, i have to wear a wool cap it gulps so much air!!
it is really expensive though 150 bucks where i live, granted i paid 70 for it on mtbr.com, (go there) but i think it is worth the price, comfy fit, the retention device is super trick, just twist it and it gets tighter, lightest weight 0of any helmet ive worn, honestly forget you are wearing it, over all it is sweet, buy one, or two, i have the yellow one

a bit pricey
more sizes, currently just s/m and lrg/xlrge, i fell kinda in the middle

buy one!!!

bell image pro
another bell, forzna i do think

[Feb 08, 2000]
Mr Huck

As mentioned above, I only tested this helmet in the store I work at. It's awesome! Just walking around the cooling effect it has on my head is noticeable. My head has a really wierd shape, and I have had a really hard time finding a helmet that fits well. I thought I would have to just tough it out and wear an uncomfortable helmet, but this helmet fits me like a dream. When you remove the visor, the helmet still looks great which is important, because other helmets are downright ugly without their visors. I love the orange color that it's available in. Pretty damn expensive though - ouch!