Bell Volt XC Helmet

The promise of any great helmet is that you'll forget you have it on. Bell engineers undertook that task by keeping the Volt helmet light and making sure it was ventilated. At 320g, it's one of the lightest out there. The Volt's 22 vents direct air into the helmet, over the head and out the back to keep airflow constant, just like riding sans bucket. The carbon fiber Fusion In-Mold Microshell adds carbon fiber strength to the internally reinforced EPS foam for greater durability. Cam-lock Levers make for quick strap adjustment.None of this matters if the helmet doesn't fit. Those who have a round head shape have always fared well with Bell helmets, as opposed to the more oval-fitting Giros. The addition of the TAG Fit System means riders can adjust the helmets fit around the Occipital Lobe (that bump at the back of your head) both in width and height for a more conforming fit. And if you've ever picked up your helmet and thought, "What's that smell?" you'll appreciate the X-Static Padding which combines a quick-dry material with an anti-microbial coating. Bell's most impressive achievement may be the always-right graphics package. The Bell Volt is available in 3 sizes, includes the adjustable and removable VPV Visor (and plugs, should you choose to ride without) and comes in a number of stunning finishes. Choose from Black/Carbon, Blue/White, Matte Blue/Black, Red/White, or Silver/White.

icmttallac   [Jun 30, 2012]
Strength:

lightweight, excellent fit, and great colors.

mininimal padding but the fit is exact.

i had giro ions which had the plastic hitting the top of my ears, very uncomfortable. This could be the shape of my head and maybe the "small" size has this tendency. i bought the bell volt and the fit was tremendous (size small). There are good deals periodically on price. i would highly recommend this helmet.

panzer07   Weekend Warrior [Jul 07, 2011]
Strength:

light and looks good

completely inadequat padding, uncomfortable - again lack of padding and speaking of padding - its all coming apart

I know Bell and Gyro are the same company but fit could not be more different as every Gyro helmet fits like a glove and this Bell fits like cra*!

Similar Products Used: Gyro,Fox,Specialized
Sleepy   Cross Country Rider [May 07, 2011]
Strength:

Fit

Padding is thin.

Fit and ventilation is good. Padding is thin and sparse. My old Bell X-ray had a forehead pad that did an excellent job of keeping sweat from dripping down your face and eyes. The pad on the Volt is thin and does not wrap around the helmet. I have to use a headband on longer rides otherwise my sweat runs down my face. Also my old x ray came with an extra set of pads. These did not and my Variant did not. I guess Bell is cutting costs???

Similar Products Used: Variant, E2, X-ray
92gli   Cross Country Rider [Mar 31, 2011]
Strength:

I've been using a fox flux for 3 years and wanted something with more air flow and better adjustment system. Found both with this helmet. Its also a lot lighter. This is the most expensive helmet I've ever bought but it was so comfortable right out of the box that I knew it was worth it. Its like its not even on your head.

If you can splurge I don't think you'll regret it. This is very light, very comfortable and airy.

Similar Products Used: Fox flux, don't remember what I had before that.
thesergeant   Racer [Dec 17, 2009]
Strength:

Fit, easy of adjustment, looks, weight

price

Bottom line is that this is an expensive helmet that fits great, vents well and is a respectable weight. I've been riding a bell sweep for a couple years now and really like it. The volt is one better. Is it worth the extra $$? You decide. The previous poster obviously isn't familiar with the rating system here on MTBR.

Rather than 1/1 chili he should have rated it 2/5. Clearly he likes the helmet but is dissatisfied with teh price. My rating is 3/5 but I'm going to 5/5 to offset his rating which skews the average.

If you have the cash and don't mind spending it this is a going choice, you won't have any regrets.

Similar Products Used: Decibel, X-Ray, Bell Sweep, Giro's ....
volleybrad   Cross Country Rider [Jul 07, 2009]
Strength:

Looks, ventilation, comfort, comes with detachable visor

Price, weight, dial fit system

I picked up the CSC Saxobank Team Edition on the bay for pretty cheap. I would never pay full MSRP for this helmet though. Just don't think it's worth it.

I have a Giro Atmos that's still good actually, but I tried on a Bell at REI one day and the Bells fit my head WAY better than Giros. So I decided to switch. I guess my head is a bit narrower, because there's a lot of extra room on the sides of my head in the Giro.

The Bell fits my head absolutely perfectly. It feels great.
I love that Bell helmets come with the detachable visors. Great idea. I also really love the dial system in the back. It's head & tails above the roc-loc system in Giros. So easy to adjust with one hand.

However, with an MSRP of 175.00....that's quite steep. The Atmos I bought 3 years ago was about 50 bucks cheaper, and it came with a helmet pod case. Also the Atmos is several grams lighter. If I'm dishing out top dollar for a top of the line helmet, it needs to be lighter than one that's cheaper.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably just buy a Bell Array.

Similar Products Used: Giro Atmos
skillet26   Cross Country Rider [Mar 15, 2009]
Strength:

Color and style
lightweight
excellent fit
comes with a visor

none yet

I got the special edition Credit Agricole color which is awesome looking and matches my team jersey. I wanted to try a new helmet after I crashed my Specialized Decibel. I've used the Volt a few times and it's very light and airy. It seems to vent well, but I'll know more about that this summer. I really like the ErgoDial fit system. It's easy to adjust with full finger gloves. The helmet sits low on my head for a secure feel. I still like the Decibel for the excellent venting. I'm curious to see how they compare in the summer heat. It's also the most I've spent on a helmet. Retail price is steep and add about $5 for the special edition colors.