Bell Sweep XC Helmet

The new Sweep XC picks up where its road racing brethren (the Sweep R) left off and adds Bell's new Variable Position Visor (VPV) to the mix. The VPV allows for 15 degrees of vertical adjustment by using an imbedded clutch mechanism that holds the visor firmly at the desired angle, but allows for easy, on-the-fly changes. Couple this with the 20 breezy vents, Bell's signature GPS Fit System, Fusion In-Mold Microshell and bottom wrap, internal reinforcements and clicked-in graphics and you have a helmet that's destine to go from box to podium in no time flat.

mojoman   All Mountain Rider [May 17, 2012]
Strength:

light weight, lots of vents, fits many type of heads.

back of helmet gets stuck on stuff.

this helmet has been my favorite helmet I have ever had. Too bad it is getting old and has developed a crack so I need to replace it soon. It has been super comfortable and fit just right with the adjustable lock. The venting is superb and kept me cool for the most part. The only slght down side is the back design seamed to catch my hydration pack loop once and a while. stuf would just get hung up on it in my gear bag. It looks cool and may help with the venting so I am being kinda picky.

Similar Products Used: Giro Zen
anatoly   Weekend Warrior [Jan 30, 2011]
Strength:

weight,looks,ventilation,

hard to find gps spare&foam pad.

nice helmet!

Similar Products Used: giro animas
tigermale   Weekend Warrior [Oct 19, 2009]
Strength:

Great looking, great adjustment dial, great ventilation

WEAK design

This is a great looking helmet, but the fins in the back are weak as hell. I sometimes keep by helmet(s) in my backpack, while going to the store etc. and must've compressed or snagged one of these fins, causing them to break off, foam and all. the plastic shell has come off the foam in several places. if it were'nt for this, i'd give this one 11 pts on a 1-10 scale, but i just can't cope with pricey things breaking down so easily. I'll go with the cheaper ones from now on.

Similar Products Used: bell avanti, netto
ski542   Cross Country Rider [Jul 26, 2009]
Strength:

Vents heat extremely well. Secure fit on you head. Super light.

none (pricey but worth it)

My favorite weather is 55 degrees and overcast, so i'm always looking for something to get rid of as much heat as possible. The sweep is worth the price of admission. Keeps my head as cool as possible as the temps heat up during the summer. My last couple of helmets have been cheapo giros and i wish i would have spent the extra cash sooner and picked up this helmet. Another important feature is Twin Access Gear (TAG) system for fit (check out their website for more info). I don't like to have the straps super snug around my chin so it is very important for the helmet to fit securely. I would recommend this helmet to anyone.

Similar Products Used: Older Giro helmets
minouchi   Racer [Mar 18, 2009]
Strength:

Great ventilation - After first getting it, I went for a couple of cool weather rides and the only thing that got cold was my head...I just wasn't used to having such a breezy helmet! Light weight, looks good, VERY COMFY! High visor increases your ability to see and reduces neck pain. Easy to adjust on the fly. Bonus: No Helmet Hair! It will flatten your hair, but not give you the big bumps most helmets do!

None so far.

Love it. Well worth the price I paid! Worth it at full price if you can afford it.

Similar Products Used: Helmets by Giro, other Bell, Trek.
twheat   Cross Country Rider [Jan 02, 2009]
Strength:

Light weight, looks and feels like a reallly high end helmet at a great pric point. Great air flow, well designed ratchet system.

I have yet to take a digger to the head while wearing the sweep, it seems fragile, but then again its BELL and i wouldnt doubt its stength. BELL has never let me down in their higher end helmet line up.

I love this helmet.

Similar Products Used: Pro-tec, BERN, other bell XC style.
OverfieldA   Racer [Aug 27, 2008]
Strength:

Does a great job in a crash

This is an update to a previous post. I bought my Sweep XC last Feb and was not pleases with the separation between the plastic outside and the foam core and posted a not so glowing review.

On stage 8 of this years Transalp about 20km from the finish (don't ask me how) I ended up crashing and knocking myself out. My teammate thought I was dead, apparently I hit right shoulder then head, and then ended up hitting helmet side first into a curb. When I came around the race doctor was asking me what hurt, and told me that my race was over.

The only problem was my head did not hurt at all. I got up talked the doc into letting me continue, I finished (with my teammate in more shock than me, we finished). Then inspected my helmet and found that it did it's job to a T and like a Secret Service Agent sacrificed it's life to save mine. The plastic shell was scraped and dented but the real value of this helmet was on the inside where you could see where the foam body cracked and gave to protect my head.

I am truly sold on this helmet and plan to replace it with a new Sweep XC very soon. If you ever find yourself going wrong side up, this helmet is the one you need.

phildevils@hotmail.com   Racer [Aug 16, 2008]
Strength:

ventilation is juste too good
the fit is as always perfect

a bit expensive for the rider who don't have it to the cost

best helmet ever

Steve   Cross Country Rider [Jul 01, 2007]
Strength:

The fit is second to none. Great styling. Breathes well. Lightweight. Nice visor. Crash replacement program.

Mine did not come with extra pads.

I cannot believe how comfortable this helmet is. It also looks bad@ss with the matte black/carbon color scheme. I was thinking about getting a Giro Atmos, but they don't come with a visor option, so the Sweep XC was the winner. It also is about $50 cheaper than the Atmos and it fits better. If you are thinking about getting this helmet, get it, you will not be disappointed. The crash replacement program is also a good incentive for peace of mind if you shall ever push this helmet to it's breaking point.

Similar Products Used: Giro Stelvio, Giro Havoc, Specialzed M1.
Jeremie   [Jun 10, 2007]
Strength:

Looks bad-ass, fits snug as a glove with the GPS, and is super comfortable...I love it!

None...maybe the cost

I just got the Sweep XC off eBay for pretty cheap, wore it for a few rides and loved it...then tried to eat a sidewalk and cracked it all up. My shoulder hurts like hell, and I took some skin off my face, but my head was fine...not even a headache! Just to note, when I called about the crash replacement program Bell has, I guess they have a new program where they give you 30% off a new helmet...or with the old program you can send it in and get a new one for $35. So, $104 or $35...you do the math, but I stuck with the old program.