Pearl Izumi Gloves Gloves

Pearl Izumi Gel Gloves

E.J. Bedore   Cross Country Rider [Jul 14, 2009]
Strength:

Fingerless Gel Lites are comfortable and lightweight, look good.

Disintegrated before I'd cycled 100 easy miles. The palm material is a kind of microfleece, with a half-inch swath between the thumb seam and the gel pads. Just enough that the material thinned and then split open, especially on the left glove. The backs of the glove have a poor-quality suede-like material that sheds little black particles all over the place (looks pretty bad on skin or pale clothing!) - given the price and PI reputation, I am very disappointed.

Waste of money and disgrace to Pearl Izumi.

Similar Products Used: Trek gloves
Doug Montgomery   Cross Country Rider [May 29, 2003]
Strength:

comfort, fit

durability, construction

The gloves I'm reviewing are the Gel Lite short finger gloves.
I 've been using them about 3 weeks with the first couple of weeks on the road bike only for about 200 miles max. The comfort and fit were excellent.
The problem came about on a trip to the White Rim Trail in Moab. In the course of about 90 miles using my MTB equipped with Grip Shift the right hand stitching between the thumb and index finger blew out. I've had previous pittards PI gloves that held up to Grip Shift but these new Gel Lites do not.
If you're getting them keep them on the road or with Shimano off-road.
I guess I'll see how well Pearl Izumi's warranty department works now.

Similar Products Used: other PI gloves, Fox , Ext Ondo
Alex   Weekend Warrior [May 22, 2003]
Strength:

Gel Padding, Looks nice

Quality of materials, Choice of materials, PRICE

When my girlfriend bought me these gloves I was immediately angered that she spent so much on gloves. They do look nice and have a substantial amount of padding. This is good if you have really crappy grips or don't fit your bike properly. This is actually bad when you have decent grips as the glove gives too much padding that you lose your grip of the bike. Also the terry cloth area on the thumb was a nice touch.

Anyhow I used the gloves 4 times, washed them twice during that span according to the recommendations. Immediately you could tell the leather palm was wearing thin. The other parts were still looking fresh. On my fifth ride I took a spill. Very minor! I'm talking drop bike on ground, put hand down. No sliding, scraping for ten feet etc. I was fine and then I looked at the glove. The leather palm had ripped through with a penny sized hole on my left hand. On the right, the finger separators made with a paper thin mesh material had all been torn leaving me with a mitten that had a thumb insert and one hole for the rest of my four fingers. This cannot be repaired. You can't stitch the mesh part back, it's too wimpy. I mean would polyester or lycra here really negatively affect airflow or sweat dissapaction. On a practically new glove, a minor fall would reduce these things to nothing. So my point is imagine these had been older and I had fell harder. Not what I want on my hands in that case. Oh all this for a bargin price of $35.

So I wrote PI to let them know that the gloves are horrible and they were very apathetic about it. Kind of threw me since they charge a ton of money for everything they sell and to basically not care about their product quality or customers. It's safe to say that I'm not a PI fan and will probably never buy their stuff again.

angus henry   Weekend Warrior [May 21, 2003]
Strength:

Solid comfortable snug fit, Quality amara leather palms, the back of the hand is a nice stretchy mesh that should breath very well on the smokin' hot days in July. Price is exceptional at $19 Canadian currency. Light padding (I use the Shimano gel cork so light is fine)

The terry does not extend far enough over the back of the hand requiring a double wipe to get all the snot off. An extra inch wrap would help a lot. Slightly scratchy in said place.

It always seems time to replace either a couple of pairs of shorts (showing too much too the public) or gloves so good value is always appreciated. So far I am pretty pleased especially for a first year glove. Did I mention they are about $13US

Similar Products Used: Pearl "White line", Paris shock absorber, Louis Garneau gel
Darren   Weekend Warrior [Jun 30, 2007]
Strength:

Gel Vent Aerosensor Glove - good colour scheme

terrible padding. leaves large hole in the centre of the hand where most of the pressure occurs. whilst better than no glove at all, there are much better products out there.

Don't buy them as they are not designed well at all.

Similar Products Used: altura Progel Short Finger
Homer   Cross Country Rider [Oct 16, 2003]
Strength:

Comfortable, durable

Price

Great gloves. Very comfortable. Worn overtop of wool gloves in the winter...soaked and dried them more times than I can remember...still holding up fine. Very cool in the summer too.

Similar Products Used: cheapo Trek gloves
Dale   [Nov 03, 2006]
Strength:

Good padding, easy on/off, nice feel on bike.

Very poor materials. Leather, or whatever it is, started shredding at the fingers after a few months use.

I was looking for gloves with decent gel padding and these felt pretty good while they lasted. The problem is, they do not hold up under normal riding conditions. The leather on the insides of the fingers simply disintegrated after 5 months use. At $45 they are too expensive for gloves that don't last.

Similar Products Used: Various gloves over past 30 years.
Allan Hall   Weekend Warrior [Jun 25, 2006]
Strength:

Gel-Vent Pro Glove - has neat stitched logo.

Gel-Vent Pro Glove are horrible. These look like they are replacing the Gel Lites with them, very bad. The Gel Lites have complete coverage for your hand, anywhere you put your hand on the bar, you are padded. These leave a gaping hole in the center of your palm, OUCH!

Do not buy these gloves, urge PI to continue the Gel Lites, these would be horrible replacements.

Similar Products Used: Many other gloves, current favorites are the PI Gel Lites.
JOESHMOE   Cross Country Rider [Aug 28, 2003]
Strength:

Good padding.
Nice fit.
PI name.

They RIP....

WHITELINE GLOVES SUCK ASS. I used them for less than one month and the stiching blew on the fingers. I took it back and exchanged them for Gel-Lite gloves. If PI gloves still disappoint me, I will get a pair of FOX gloves... I will write the gel lite half finger review later on.

Decent price, sucky stiching.

Kevin Peters   Weekend Warrior [Sep 21, 2000]
Strength:

Comfortable

White Line gloves fell apart after five rides! --on the road!

Really surprised by the quality. PI usually is awesone but these gloves are garbage. Stitching very poor quality.