Oakley Factory Pilot Gloves

Factory Pilot

Oakley Factory Pilot Glove 2009: The Factory Gloves by Oakley are their lightest and most breathable glove with Airprene and flexible Spandura in a design that offers the performance fit of 3-D anatomical construction...

matt   [Jun 28, 2012]
Strength:

They sort of look like they would do the job?

While they look the business they are the most uncomfortable gloves I have ever owned. That massive guard over the all the knuckles is all one piece -- meaning that they are comfortable for me when I form a fist, and uncomfortable at any other time. I really can't work out what they were actually designed for. With your hands on the grips, and one finger on the brakes -- they are very uncomfortable indeed. In this position, if you got a strike to your knuckles, I am worried that the knuckle guard will function more as a chisel on your raised index finger knuckle than a protector.

I pulled out my old, disintegrating POC gloves (very comfortable), and am trying to work out if I can return these things to the supplier.

For me -- these things just don't feel comfortable, and I wonder if they are even safe.

What were they designed for? They do not seem to be designed for mountain biking, with one finger on the brake lever -- the default position for a mountain biker, surely?

neil   All Mountain Rider [Mar 15, 2012]
Strength:

Big carbon knuckle thingy
Look good

Palm material is rubbish, too thin and not durable enough

I actually bought these as I am in the military and wanted something better than the issue gloves for use in Afghan. They cost a lot, but I figured I would be able to use them for downhill riding when I got back.
Sadly things didn't quite work out like that, as after a month or so of light use, the palm material split between the thumb and forefinger on both gloves. The subsequent holes grew to the size of about half of my palm, to the point where they were pretty much useless.
Considering they are designed for downhill use, this is pretty poor. All I did with them is hold a rifle, so I can't see how they would cope with being hammered by your handlebars over rough ground.
Other reviews seem to say the same thing about the palms. I'm really disappointed in Oakley, I would have expected better. For some reason these gloves have gained a good reputation amongst the military, I really can't see how. It's probably just because they look cool and they're in Call of Duty or whatever. I'd say they're completely unsuitable for whatever use Oakley try to market them for.