Mechanix Orignial Gloves

Designed and manufactured to take on the toughest tasks you can throw at it, our Original Glove provides a winning combination of versatility and performance. The Clarino Synthetic Leather palm and fingertips extends the life of the glove while the Thermal Plastic Rubber hook and loop cuff closure and two-way stretch Spandex top provides a perfect fit. Imported

• TPR Cuff
  • Reinforced Index Finger
  • Stretch Spandex Top

• User Reviews (27)

drakche   All Mountain Rider [Feb 12, 2016]
    Strength:

Cheap, durable, great looking, superbly comfortable, different

If you drop them in on the trail head it's hard to find them again

Got a set of mossy oak Mechanix Originals on recommendation after the old gloves disintegrated. Best purchase by far and wide. 20$ gloves that work miles better than any bike specific glove. I've used and abused them in -15C, working on my car, riding, digging. Basically anything. This gloves are hands down the best gloves I've used. Super comfortable, stay on, the Velcro works great and doesn't fray, you can use your phone with them. They do take some time to break in but which gloves don't. Base line, don't pay extra for "bike specific big brand gloves" because they won't come nearly close to this puppies. And if you're not sure, they are cheap enough to buy a try so you can see for yourself.

Similar Products Used: Fox gloves, Scott gloves, Fly Racing gloves, random no name MX gloves.
    mk.utlra   [Aug 20, 2012]
    Strength:

Excellent fit, quality construction, good aesthetics, comfortable, durable

Another all positive review ;)

bishop29er   [Aug 09, 2012]
    Strength:

Comfortable
    Inexpensive
    Grip like crazy

Exactly what I needed. After a few barehanded rides on stock grips, I knew I needed some gloves. Thankfully I checked mtbr and saw that these babies got great reviews, and for good reason. While I cant compare them to other gloves, I can say that I will buy these again if they wear out. They are comfortable even in 90+ degree heat, provide excellent grip, and came out of the washing machine like new. Thanks mtbr for the great advice.

jkrispies   Cross Country Rider [Sep 11, 2011]
    Strength:

Comfortable, Cool to Wear

No padding if that's what you're looking for, but I don't personally think that is necessary.

Beats all other biking-specific gloves I've used over the years. I bought these due to the Mtbr "best of" recommendation, but also some Youngstown Carpenter gloves at the same time (and at virtually the same price) to do a side-by-side comparison. I figured I'd just use the Mechanix for work gloves if they didn't work out on the bike, but I'm very happy with them as biking gloves. I actually have to give the nod to the Youngstowns, but not by much. The Mechanix gloves shed heat better, so I wear them on especially hot days. For comparison, the Youngstowns are better fitted, better stitched, have an unobtrusive padding, and they are fingerless on the thumb, index, and middle fingers so I can use a cell phone or tools without having to take the gloves off. The Mechanix glove is more of a basic glove, but high quality especially for the price. Plus, though I haven't taken a bad fall yet, since all the fingers are covered there is that much better protection with the Mechanix. (FWIW, I researched the Mechanix carpenter gloves but didn't find them to be as well-designed or reviewed as the Youngstown.) Overall, I'd recommend the Mechanix gloves for biking in a heartbeat, but would suggest the Youngstowns first, especially for a commuter who may need to get to a cell phone more often than a hardcore off-roader.

Similar Products Used: AXO something'er'other
    Various gloves cheapy over the years
    Youngstown Carpenter Gloves
    mjk230   Cross Country Rider [Aug 09, 2011]
    Strength:

Comfortable, durable, good grip wet or dry, not padded, can be machine washed. Handy for working on the house and car as well.

None.

Best gloves I've used. The synthetic leather doesn't get hard after it dries like actual leather can, nor does it stretch or shrink much. With these gloves I'm less particular about grips. I prefer grips with texture, but these work well with a friend's ESI grips as well.

Similar Products Used: Various cycling and work gloves.
    Laser4G63   Cross Country Rider [Jul 01, 2011]
    Strength:

This review is for the Mechanix Original Vent glove.

Durable, breathable, no padding, fits great, easy to clean, don't slip, gets the Betties. Oh yeah, they are cost efficient.

Absolutely none!

These are great gloves, Read the strengths. The have held up to some rigorous stuff, my man. They snap back wash after wash. Take a licking and keep on ticking. They just keep going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going.... You get the idea. Best of all, they don't cost a lot. I would have given up my first born for these, but I already did that for other bike stuffs and things. Second one will be going toward a vasectomy.

Similar Products Used: Dakine, Sepcialized, Trek
    painterdude   Cross Country Rider [Sep 04, 2010]
    Strength:

good fit, strength, look

I've used the original, padded palm, m-pact and cold weather machanix gloves. they are all good for what they are designed for.. I like the padded palms the best, they give good protection and comfort. M-pacts can be a little warm on hot days and I like more padding than the originals. they all last a long time. they are easier to get than other bike gloves too. lowes have a good selection and prices.

Uncle Six Pack   Weekend Warrior [Jun 24, 2010]
    Strength:

good gloves, comfortable and durable so far

I am waiting to see how long they last, I would prefer the velcro strap on the backside rather than the palmside

For about $20 these were worth a shot. I think I'll be happy with them. There is another version for about the same price with extra padding on the knuckles-might be good for DH/FR protection.

Similar Products Used: Bell full finger gloves
    one incredible donkey   Weekend Warrior [Mar 05, 2009]
    Strength:

Cheap and strong. Sort of like a tall boy of Steel Reserve.

I wore them through the summer and they were not too hot. I wore them through the winter and my hands got a little cold, but it was 30 degrees so I'm not holding it against the gloves. If I want winter gloves I'll buy some.

None that I have found so far. I would recommend maybe trying them on for size. The recommended size for me wound up being a little small.

I feel like a fool for buying bike-specific gloves after using these. The only thing I get with bike-specific gloves over the Mechanix is padding and I use a thick grip on my bars so that's not an issue.

These gloves are great and cheap. When they finally do wear out I won't have buyer's remorse.

Similar Products Used: Some Trek full finger gloves which didn't last too long.
    cdkrenz   Cross Country Rider [Oct 26, 2008]
    Strength:

Relatively durable, breath well and good for use in temperatures into the low 40 and up to the low 90s. It comes in a variety of colors, they're inexpensive, comfortable, and reasonable to wear from spring through fall.

The elastic around the wrist wore out after six months of use. I was using this pair of gloves between 2 and 5 days per week from May through Oct 2008. Also, I did fall into some pricker bushes this summer and the prickers penetrated the gloves, ouch!

This is a very good pair of gloves. They last as long as they should and will put up with a beating. Get a pair.

Similar Products Used: Mizouno baseball gloves.