Fox Head Polarpaw Gloves

Polarpaw

The longtime cold weather classic. 2mm thick neoprene to keep yo insulated and warm. Rubberized Clarino palm helps grip when the grips get wet and dirty. Black only.

Bulldog   Cross Country Rider [Nov 14, 2010]
Strength:

Good glove for that early morning chilly ride when it's above thirty degrees. Good knuckle protection and great feel on the grips.

Fox sizing is always small so I'm glad I ordered a large size.

These are not cold weather gloves like when it's five above zero. I have other gloves for that. These gloves are perfect when the ride is cold to start, then warms up later. Above fifty deg. I would wear my regular 661s.

Similar Products Used: GT heats, axo, 661, scwhinn, salsa, etc...
ed kloskowski   Cross Country Rider [Oct 30, 2001]
Strength:

None, well maybe the grippy stuff on the fingers and palm

Fit, they bind. Function, they DO NOT keep your hands warm no matter what you try

These gloves nearly cost me a ride and a finger or two. I was less than a mile in when I noticed how cold me fingers were. I shrugged it off thinking that as I warmed up the gloves would start to work (bike shop told me that they need to warm before the ride and that you hands shold sweat).

Well by mile two my fingers were hurting so bad I didn't know if I could make it back (20 degrees out with slight wind). These things SUCK! if this review saves even one person from buying them its worth it. No matter what I tired I could not keep my hands warm. I went back to the lot after 5 miles adn wamred my hands, put on my full fingered gloves (regular ones) and my hnads felt instantly better.

These things feel like they make you hands COLDER, like there is A/C on in them or something. I saved them for piossbile wind surfing useage, but they will never again go on a ride with me.

Similar Products Used: Perl and TREK winter gloves - far superior and wonder of wonders they keep your hands warm!
Connor   Cross Country Rider [Oct 31, 2002]
Strength:

Good grip with Clarino palm
Form fitting, hand dexterity

Doesn't keep hands warm at all. Lack of any insulation in the palm area is a big culprit here. I first wore them while walking before using them on my bike, in 20 degree weather. I knew I was in trouble when my hands became cold at walking speeds. Riding is almost unbearable-numb/cold hands within 1.5 miles at 20 degrees even with a polypro glove liner. My old REI wind gloves with same liner are MUCH warmer. I fear the really cold days of winter wearing these gloves!

Not recommended for real winter riding in cold climates despite the name "Polarpaw". I wish I could return them, but apparently am stuck with them now. I'll probably convert them to spring gloves only and now have to buy some real winter gloves.

Similar Products Used: REI wind gloves/polypro liner. I commute in Denver year-round, and these have been good, but not great, at keeping my hands warm despite single digit temps.
Matt   Cross Country Rider [Nov 24, 2001]
Strength:

Never kept my hands warm like the shop guy said they would.

These gloves didn't work for me at all. Wind and cold went right through them. Hands went completely numb and took them back the next day for some Pearl Izumis and am now happy as a clam.

Similar Products Used: Regular full finger gloves
Dean Johnson   Weekend Warrior [Nov 22, 2000]
Strength:

They _look_ really warm.

They suck. It was as if they had air conditioner built into them.

They just plain, did not do the job. I took at ride at about 25 deg. F. and I _had_ to stop after five minutes because my hands were cramping with cold.

they suck.

Ed Edens   Weekend Warrior [Nov 22, 2000]
Strength:

Kept my fingers insulated from the brakes and breeze. Moisture can be a problem if your hands sweat. The shop recommended I wear a thin polypro glove under the neoprene if they get wet or clammy. MTbiked last night in the 20's and no problems.

none.

Performed as expected.

Oronde Armstrong   weekend warrior [Jan 08, 1999]

The product in my opinion makes cold weather riding worse that riding with a regular full finger glove. The neoprene gets cold and just transpers the cold straight through to youe fingers. The only way that you have a chace of staying warm is if you put them on before going outside and let your hands get hot. You can't comfortably wear them out side for about 5-20 minutes before they freeze depending on the weather. Not worth the money.

robo   Cross Country Rider [Nov 04, 2002]
Strength:

none unless you like the sweet smell of neoprene

your hans will freeze wit these things...can actually be colder than wit nothin at all!

do not waste your money. other fox products i have bought are very good but not this time

Similar Products Used: pearl izumi
shane   Cross Country Rider [Jan 09, 2004]
Strength:

warm(must know the trick)

uncomfortable,esp. w/sweaty hands

this is a strange glove.the first time i wore them in sub-freezing weather i thought i'd get frostbite.they slowly began to warm up, and by the end of the ride my hands were HOT!
The trick is to warm the gloves up before you ride.My solution was to put them on the defogger in my truck on the way to the trailhead.

Ken   Weekend Warrior [Dec 31, 2002]
Strength:

My mother in law asked me to email her a product and website info for what I wanted for X-mas... I needed cold weather gloves, like Fox, and saw that these were on sale... I thought with a name like Polarpaw, they have to be good... WRONG! I was very disapointed as soon as I saw them. I can not name a single strength for these.

They are cheap! Not is price but in quality. The greay areas you see in the picture that you expect to be sewn patches are really just painted on. There is no palm padding in these gloves that you would expect in a cycling glove. They are also uncomfortable. They are thin and the misplaced pads they do have are uncomfortable.

I wish I would have checked this site before I bought them!!! Please do not make the same mistake.

Similar Products Used: REI full finger gloves work great. I have wore them out and need a new pair. Unfortunately the Discomfort Delux Frostbite Paws are not going to cut it. At least they were on sale.