Assos Assos Gloves

Assos Assos Gloves

Assos

[Jan 27, 2006]
Cornelius

Strength:

I am reviewing the Assos Thermax winter gloves.
Nice grip. You can use them for moving your furniture around the house.

These gloves (Assos Thermax) WILL NOT KEEP YOUR HANDS WARM if the temperature drops below 40 degrees F. (About 4C). The neoprene (Roubaix) cuff can be your enemy if you sweat. If you take the glove off and put it back on the moist neoprene cuff can feel pretty cold.

If you ride often in 20s and 30s degree weather for more than 10 minutes, look somewhere else to keep your hands warm. Even with liners these gloves do nothing to keep my hands warm in 28 degree weather during a 25min commute. They handle 40+ degree weather just fine, but then I can almost ride without gloves anyway.

Pearl Izumi Lobster amphib.

[Oct 13, 2006]
Quill

Strength:

This is for fleece windblocking gloves similar to what they are now calling "early winter". Light and comfortable. Still look great after two years. Decent sweat control. Ideal in about 40-50 degrees F.

Price... mine were discounted, so it can happen, but expect to pay more than I did.
Sometimes I find myself riding without gloves if the days warms up.
Don't expect much cushioning.

Here in CT these are a fall/spring or mild winter day glove. I find myself pushing the temperature envelope with them because they are so comfortable. They have held up superbly. I can't bring myself to pay the prices for Assos' shorts, but I'm tempted after owning these.

A pair of Pearl Pittards which I still wear sometimes when it is a bit colder (I have sweat issues tho. Perhaps these issues have been addressed in the four years since I bought them).
Lakes for cold weather (love them).

[Apr 10, 1999]
David Wong

Strength:

This product keeps you very warm. Also very light weight. You don't can't tell you're wearing them.

Cost

This is the most awesome glove on the market. However it isn't very well known so it might be hard to find. Very comfortable and warm. I use these gloves for all my sporting activities. Comes with a kevlar padding for durability.

Fox

[Jan 02, 2001]
zelig

Strength:

Well made from quality materials as one always gets from Assos. Sizing and fit are good for my hands and allow for ease of use with STI controls.

The newer style surface on the palm area, while interfacing well with cork tape and control hood rubber, is slippery as all get out when you try to pick your bike up by the frame tubes. Also, the palm side of the fingers are not covered with any friction materials so they can slip when gripping brake levers/shifting levers.

In their temperature range, these are equal to Pearl Pittards in quality of contruction and with better fit for my hands. Both are less than great under 45F although the Pearl's are slightly better in damp/wet conditions. As for dexterity with STI, Assos gets the nod due to better fit although I prefer the synthetic leather palm material of the Pearl's which also covers the fingers versus the textured material used on the palm area in the Assos.

If in the States, the Pittard's are a better value for the equivalent functionality when they can be found on sale. If in the UK or Europe, take a look at the Briko line-up which also offers a better value. Nothing wrong with the Assos except the cost, their lack of grip and the fact that they're rarely discounted.

Pearl Pittards & AmFibs, Gore gloves, neoprene gloves, Briko gloves