Giro Remedy CF Full Face Helmet

Giro Remedy CF Full Face Helmet

Giro Remedy CF Full Face Helmet '12. Because heavy situations demand extra protection, the Remedy CF has been constructed of the most sophisticated composite materials and construction methods available. The Remedy CF (for Carbon Fiber) is up to 30% light

[Dec 12, 2012]
zagijimzoo

Strength:

Nice buckle on chin strap. Nice comfy fit!

Heavy! actual weight is 1100g.
Vision feels boxed in like your inside a helmet looking out.

If you want light weight get a CF Kali at actual 824g.
Kali is like your wearing nothing! Kept the Kali sent the Giro back!

[Jun 01, 2012]
Ben Feral
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Bomb-proof overall. Probably won't die in it.

This helmet is huge. The added width (compared to other helmets to fit the same size noggin') results in increased torsional load, which makes it feel heavier than it really is.
The screen on the back got punched in on a minor fall. The plastic around the screen just fell off after 2 months.
Horrible front air flow (face). Feels suffocating. If you're not moving fast, you won't be breathing much other than recycled carbon dioxide.

The increased width creates increased torsional load which means 1. Takes more energy to turn your head (think of a figure skater spinning around with their arms in, then they let them out and they slow down. Same thing) and 2. increases the risk of whiplash dramatically.
My first spill with this wasn't even while riding. Was on a steep mud slide, edging my bike down the hill sideways. Slipped, skidded a few feet, bike caught a rock, I flipped over bike, rolled down the hill. The helmets resistance to turning :) meant my head stayed while my body continued. Woke up the next morning with my neck feeling broken. Couldn't ride again for weeks. This may be an isolated incident so I'll continue.
The next spill was me vs. tree, face on, at about 30km. I'm here writing, so I'll give Giro that. No real damage to the helmet. The impact was entirely on the chin guard so I figured the helmet was still fine.
Next was a tumble down the side of a cliff, landed in a stream head first on a boulder. Still here.

Bottom line, I trust this helmet to keep me alive. Not comfortably, not while breathing fresh air, and not without whiplash, but alive none the less through absolutely anything.
I'm writing this now because 3 years later my neck still gives me issues while wearing this helmet and it's time for something that doesn't mind changing directions with less effort.

[Jan 31, 2012]
meSSican
Downhiller

Strength:

Looks
Fit
Price (at $150)
Alot of vents

Profile is a bit large
Not very light
velcro keeping the liner in

I have a larger than normal head so i was having a tough time finding the right fit for a full face helmet. For reference, my New era hat size is 7 5/8 but wear a 7 3/4 comfortably and have a bit of a long face. I first tried a 661 evo in xl but it was too small, my cheeks were smashed and my mouth was less than an inch from the front of the helmet. Next i tried a TLD D2 in xl/xxl. This one fit ok to good. It was a bit narrower than i would have liked but it fit and i wore that for half a season. I decided to try the Remedy in large and it fit a lot better. It has a rounder shape and fit my head very well. The liner is decent and had good air flow with the vents. I did notice a bit of fatigue in my neck after wearing this helmet as i feel it is a bit on the heavy side (but this is just my opinion). I has a larger profile than the TLD and 661 and is more of a round shape as i would consider the D2 as more oblong. The liner is held in by velcro tabs and lately the back of the liner unattaches when i put it on (shaved head). I have crashed hitting my head in the dirt and the Remedy was fine and the finish has held up great. I do like the helmet but if it was not for my large head i would choose the TLD over this based on quality, features and looks.

TLD D2
661 Evo
661 Fenix

[Sep 30, 2008]
RD

Strength:

Awesome construction, light weight, keeps my head ventilated and cool, looks awesome! Will help protect all the custom dental work I just get done!

chin strap can be annoying, visibility is less with a full face, and drinking from a water bottle is really hard to do.

If I break it, I will definitly buy another one!

lots of Vigor full face helmets, giro open face, plus many others

[Feb 15, 2007]
David

Strength:

Great fit: snug, comfy, supportive, does not shift. Excellent ventilation, the channeling really works well to keep your head cool (although I haven't used it in really hot temps yet). Light weight makes it comfortable for any type of riding. Ear vents so I can still hear.

This isn't a big issue, but in colder/humid conditions (the Northwest), your breath condenses heavily on the front screens- oh well, just wipe it off once in a while. Some people complain about the fragile screens, but I doubt anything would puncture them on most crashes, and you should be poking them with your fingers anyways

This is definitely worth checking out if you are in the market for a full face helmet. I only got the carbon model because it was an employee purchase, but I'm sure the fiberglass shell model is just as sweet. I am very pleased with this helmet, and highly recommend it!

(Value rating 5/5 because I got a sweet deal but even $100 for the fiberglass is a lot of helmet for the money. Otherwise, $250 is a lot to spend on something that might have to be thrown out after a hard crash.)

first full face helmet

[Nov 19, 2006]
Shawn
Downhiller

Strength:

Great color, resists chips well, very good at cooling my noggin. It already saved my skull after a fall off a cliff; had it checked out, and no damage other than small paint chips. Even the mesh held on perfectly!

doesn't asorb sweat very well, but that can be a good thing (reduces the nasty sweat-stained smell); no worries since I wear a shirt sleeve on my head for the sweat.

I am a DH rider, but I like the hardtails since it give me a better feel on the trails. This helmet likely already saved my life when I careened off the side of the mountain on an access road.. A log stopped me about 25 feet down. Sweet helmet, though. Worth the price!

None yet, likely none for a while

[May 30, 2007]
Matt
Downhiller

Strength:

sweet looking helmet! I got the red one and I totally love it! it vents very well (you can pretty much wear it uphill and it doesnt get that hot) and its VERY light and strong! its also a very good deal for the price

somewhat wide (if you use goggles get the oakley crowbars they will fit nicely) but it isnt much of a weakness

This is a super nice looking helmet, very good for venting, very light, and a good price! they are about $300 candian which is a good deal because a Troy Lee CF is about $550+... go for the extra $150 from the non CF helmet to this helmet!

Giro Mad Max 2, Troy Lee D2, Giro Remedy (non CF), arzonic fury

[Nov 17, 2007]
Dave

Strength:

Lighter and cooler than others.

Fits a spherical head. Charlie Brown's helmet

Worth the extra cost for the light weight and good ventillation.

Axonic

[Jun 16, 2006]
Andy
Downhiller

Strength:

Very light weight. Ventilation keeps ya cool in the hot sun,nice looks,visability is good

viser keeps coming lose from vibrations on trails, strap padding doesnt come off,needs a bit more padding to protect yer noodle

Great for the most part. Head stays cool even if ur hand burns if u touch the outter surface. makes crashing a bit more fun :-P

none so far.

[Jul 17, 2006]
matt j
Downhiller

Strength:

it's very well ventilated, my head has not over heated yet and i have worn it on some all-mountain rides and it does fine,, it's prolly even cooler than full face helmets with a million holes because it has the ventalation channels that lead to the 4 holes in the back. the ventalation near your ear is nice cause you can hear people better and your ears don't get all hot. red color looks great especially with a black bike.

color chips away easily,,wish the visor would stay in place a bit better but it doesn't really bother me at all. the metal screens break easily,, DO NOT press on them hard they will tear away, i was carrying it and my finger lodged into 1 of the screens but i fixed it and it looks fine now and i just can't apply pressure on it for it will fall off.

it has saved my face, from hitting a jump to hard and landed on flat and the front hit the handle bar but that is pretty much the only crash where the helmet saved me but if i were to crash hard i know it would save me because the padding is comfy and it has a nice durable design.. great helmet no need for a D2 unless you want to look cool.. but this helmet does fine,,,it's also the rental helmet at whistler which means it's good but it kinda sucks cause if you go there most people will have a helmet like yours (if you have giro remedy composite) and then it's nothing special looking cause every person has one but i still like it,, looks better than any other helmet i've seen at a comparable price.

fox rampage, 661 helmets, bell bellistic, TLD d2,