Smith Buzzsaw Eyewear

Buzzsaw

Buzzsaw

Adam   Cross Country Rider [Jun 15, 2003]
Strength:

Look cool. Silver. Has 3 lens, basically I bought 3 sunglasses. Smiths glasses do the job.

Well I didn't have this scratching problem untill I went to Turkey Mountain, Tulsa, OK. and I rode in the rain and got mud on the glasses from the front tire slinging the mud to my upper body and face. From then on I have scratched the lens ever time I remove the lens to another lens.

GOOD glasses. Will be a SMITHS fan for life. Next glasses will be VOODOOs.

Similar Products Used: none
Pedro   Cross Country Rider [Feb 25, 2002]
Strength:

Sturdy little guys. Can I say METAL hinges! swappable lenses

I have no clue what everyone else is talking about. I change from the yellow to the orange every other day depending on when i ride and no scratches.

Good specs, I would buy them at $100 level. Durable. Oakleys get broken so often and they are to spendy

Similar Products Used: Oakleys
Gary Gnu   Cross Country Rider [Jan 12, 2002]
Strength:

Strong frames, easy to store, Great Customer Service, Easy to order replacement lenses - I have four different lenses for any condition - very versatile!

Lenses scratch upon removing them from the frames but at least it doesn't impair the vision. I ride 3-5 days a week and have used these for about 6 months now. Im on my second set of frames cause the rubber pieces around the frames (over the ears and nose) continually fall off. This 2nd set of frames and these are now having problems? Luckily with a bit of superglue they will stick back on but after a few more rides your back to the glue.

Im torn, I like the fit, the whole interchangeable lens idea and the durable frames (cause these things have been taken some spills) but Smith needs to revisit a better way of keeping the rubber pieces on their frames(nose & over the ear). Outside of "not" sweating, I'm not certain the Buzzsaw line can withstand moisture and oil from skin around the nose piece. I can understand the ear section pealing off to some degree but the nose section worries me when I am riding. For now, Im going to continue with my little workshop and work-around this flaw with superglue as Smith's fix to this flaw is a new pair of frames that take about 4-6 weeks to receive - which becomes quite a hassle every other month when the rubber gives up its hold. Not to mention riding with some "off" brand glasses gets old too. For the "weekend warrior" I would say these are great glasses but gear yourself up for the rubber to peal in about a year...

Similar Products Used: Oakley
Lee   Weekend Warrior [Jan 12, 2002]
Strength:

Great Looking
Nice fit
Interchangable lenses

Even following the instructions carefully the lenses get scratched everytime you change them, obviously a design flaw.
A hard case would be better than the cheap cloth case they provide.

A great set of shades if Smith would realize they have a design flaw and solves the lens scratching problem.
To advoid smudging the lenses when changing them, use a cloth, t-shirt, etc. to handle the lenses.
If they don't fit right, try on a different pair. The first pair I tried were very crooked. The second pair fit like a glove, very "grippy" and held on my extremely well.
These is a noticeable difference b/w cheap shades and realively more expensive ones. With cheap ones, there is considerable more glare and not they are not very clear compared to these Smith Buzzsaw's. If the lenses didn't scratch when changing them, I would rate them a hot 5 Flamin' Chilis.

Similar Products Used: Okaley
Chris   Weekend Warrior [Jan 06, 2002]
Strength:

-They look cool (angular shape)
-They stick to your head well
-Can change lenses
-Metal hinges
-I like the color of mine (flat black)

-I don't really change the lenses so I don't have any scratches yet.
-For some reason, they sit on my face a little crooked. Maybe it's the bridge of my nose but I think one arm of the glasses is lower than the other. I thought if glasses were so expensive they were supposed to be absolutely perfect.

I like them...it was either these ones or Oakleys. I figured not many people had these and I loved how they looked. I'm sure that they're a little uneven. If I close one arm and then close the other, one arm is lower so that means the hinges are off or something.

Similar Products Used: $20-$50 glasses you buy at the gas station (don't laugh, Nike has a set of glasses sold for over $100 and they're completely identical in every way to a set of glasses I saw in a gas station)
Sheedy   Weekend Warrior [Apr 20, 2003]
Strength:

Nice optic veiw.
Very,very durable.

Lens change system ends up scratching the lens! As much as I abhor Oakley I still think their lens changing system is much better than Smith!

The Smith sunglasses fram is truly excellent.It really does last.However,the lens'get scratched too easy,especially considering their inter-changeability system.All in all,I think these sunglasses represent much,much better quality than Oakleys.

Similar Products Used: Oakley,RayBan.
BRIAN   Cross Country Rider [Sep 07, 2001]
Strength:

TOUGH SHADES, INNERCHANGEBLE LENSES AND THEY'RE SMITHS

I BROKE THEM WHEN I ENDO'D OVER MY HANDLE BARS ON THE COLORADO TRAIL

GREAT SHADES BUY THEM ON SALE FOR THE BEST VALUE AROUND.

Similar Products Used: NONE THAT COMPARE
Scott Rivera   Weekend Warrior [Sep 22, 2001]
Strength:

Very strong frame. Interchangeable lenses. Options for polarized lenses, and rose for foggy days. Perfect for night riding, and fog, and bright sunny days. Good protection al the way around. Cool design.

Some of my friends think they look a little funny. Takes a second to change out lenses.

I really like these frames. Completely different style form the dragon rakes. Many lens options. Very inexpensive for all the lenses you get. Durable. Just love them and recommend.

Similar Products Used: Dragon Pro Rake Interchage sunglass.
Jeff   [Oct 06, 2001]
Strength:

The frames are tough as hell compared to Oakleys (all styles). Let's see, tough frame, good METAL hinges, 3 interchangable lenses, good value.

Just be careful when changing lenses, you might scratch them. This was especially a problem when new and the frame was extra tight. The nose piece is thin and doesn't stick all that great when wet.

Good glasses for the money. The buzzsaw shape looks a little funny (angular) but for a large face, they look good and offer great protection from the sun and from debris. If you can still find them, you should pick up a pair I think they run about $50 on sale.

Similar Products Used: Wore various models of Oakley's for many years since 86? and let me tell you, I will never buy another pair. The only redeeming quality about Oakley is they have an excellent replacement policy that covers breakage. You know why? Because they break so freaking easily it is not funny. I've broken several pair just by putting them on and taking them off! And no, I do not have a fat head. Oaks are NOT PERFORMANCE glasses, Smiths are...period.
Dozer   Cross Country Rider [Aug 07, 2001]
Strength:

Full eye coverage, different color lenses

Hurt my ears, Lenses get cratched from frame

I really like being able to switch out the lenses for different trails and times of day. However, the lenses do get scratched when you replace them in the frames. The scratches are on the far inside of the lenses near your nose, so it isn't too noticeable. Also, the frames hurt the tops of my ears after a long ride. I've started wearing them over my headband to prevent this. Also, I am a female with a small face, so these glasses look kind of silly on me for anything except biking. They take up my whole face.

I would say they are worth the $50 I spent for them on sale, but I wouldn't spend $100 on them.