PanOptx Optx Pan Optx Eyewear

Pan Optx Pan Optx

Linda George   Cross Country Rider [Apr 05, 2007]
Strength:

Excellent for dry eyes. I've found them to be durable and work well for road as well as trail conditions. I've also used them for skiing - as long as it's not extremely wet out they work well. I've accumulated a few pairs over several years and have had the seals replaced on one; another pair was completely replaced due to breakage. Warranty and support are great.

Need to rinse them carefully (I do it about once/week) to keep the orbital seal clean.

I love these sunglasses. Every so often I forget them and end up cycling with regular sunglasses and my eyes remind me for days. Really great for minimizing eye irritation.

Also as a side note, the manufacturer is working with the Sierra Avalanche center to help them raise funds. Info & link (as of 4/5/07) at http://www.sierraavalanchecenter.org/
Via the link there are some closeouts available for as low as $50.

Similar Products Used: Nothing similar for avoiding dry eyes, but I've used Smith, Bolle, & other sunglasses.
Xavier   Weekend Warrior [May 07, 2007]
Strength:

Good for Motocycle and dry eyes

Foggy in FL. hudid conditions

Not recomended for bike use on trails or road in FL weather. They kick a w/ Motorcycles.

Similar Products Used: Oakleys Monster
jack job   Weekend Warrior [Mar 08, 2001]
Strength:

good fit, good looks, fairly lightweight

looks interesting from the side due to the seal

If you wear contacts, definitely get them. I currently have a pair of oakley Ms and Spy XS that although look awesome, just don't protect my eyes. Short of wearing my snowboard goggles, my contacts would always dry up and leave me all blurry. I think the panoptx viper's perfect for fast riding.

Similar Products Used: oakley 5, spy scoop xs
Peter   [Jun 27, 2005]
Strength:

From a distance, looks pretty flashy.

Cheap plastic construction--I had two,one with the polarized lens, the other not. Lenses on both were OK, but quality of construction really no better than any $5 plastic knockoff. The foam seal never provided a completely insulated barrier between skin and glasses (as they are supposed to), and fit between the two differed significantly--one tight and annoying, the other loose and distracting. Glasses still fogged up, eyes still watered. Probably OK if they glasses just happen to fit perfectly to the contours of your face--there is no way, though, for the consumer to configure them if they don't. For skiing, I went back to goggles, for cycling, I used one of several Serengetis I have--shame they aren't listed, since they are perfect for biking, particularly those with gradient lenses (darker at top, lighter at bottom, so they block out the sun while keeping the path ahead clear).

Avoid Pan Optx unless you had a chance to try them on, and even then, be weary--wearing them for a moment or two in a store is much different than wearing them on a course, road, or even a ski slope. There are better options available, some cheaper, few more expensive.

Similar Products Used: Smith, Oakley, Ray-Ban, Gargoyles, Serengetis. Serengetis by far the best.
linda   Cross Country Rider [Aug 31, 2001]
Strength:

Fantastic for dry eyes - keeps the wind, dust, and sweat out. Really great for road training but also for off-road. No more scratchy eyes for days after riding - huge relief.

Just that I feel like I need to rinse them off every so often; they can get pretty grimy.
Somewhat expensive but not by much compared to other good sunglasses

If you have any tendency toward dry eyes I highly recommend these. I'd been looking all over for something like this & was getting ready to figure something out myself, then someone had some on a ride one day. Some ski stores have them but motorcycle shops seem to have a much better selection so far.

Similar Products Used: All sorts of other sunglasses
Finbar   Cross Country Rider [Jul 29, 2004]
Strength:

These are the absolute shizzle! Full eye protection, especially when wearing contacts....no fogging, absolutely no debris can get to you eye, no dry eye!

You must be careful cleaning the lenses if you go with the polychromatic (these are the ones that change level of protection according to how light/dark it is outside)

If you have a problem with dry eyes or have had problems with your contacts drying out on you and you suddenly go blind, with a sic dropoff ahead...then these are a must have. They never fog up, your eyes can breathe, but ABSOLUTELY NO dust, debris or anything else will harm your eyes. The polychromatic lenses are an x-tra plus if you ride in differing lighting conditions and don't want to be bothered changing out lenses like you have to do with other sunglasses.